The Evolution of Apple Silicon

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Evolution of Apple Silicon
Page 6 of 9 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-30, 14:36

That does happen all the time on my Intel MBP... curious how M1 handles that. My mom has an M1 Air so I can't really test it on there for y'all. It is very silent.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-04-30, 14:46

Yeah, I have the 16" i9 and that sucker gets LOUD when I'm using Google Hangouts or Intellij.

Compiling code will usually put it in jet-engine mode pretty quick.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-04-30, 17:42

Intel.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-30, 17:56

Yeah, I was wondering. The Intel models will spin up and make a lot of racket, but I still have yet to hear an M1 make any noise at all.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-30, 19:27

You think Intel was bad, the G4’s and G5’s were smoking. Every Mac I’ve owned, other than an early PowerMac G4, has been noisy under load. I doubt the M1 is any better when you really put it to work, then again even at full load it’s not exactly going to suck power from the wall the way traditional desktop computers do.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-04-30, 20:12

I haven't heard the fans on the M1 MBP at all since I've had it.

My wife was using a 2018 MBP for work and that thing would kill the fans during anything even remotely tasking, even using Outlook would kick on the fan, yet alone Teams or Zoom.

Now however, with the M1, I don't think the fan has kciedk on at all, and if it has, then it's been super quiet.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-30, 20:22

Mind testing something? Put Prime95 on there and run it for a little to see how well it does but most importantly, how loud the fans get when the CPU stays at 100% for a while.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-30, 21:01

Oh, it just dawned on me that you likely have an Apple Watch too and can use the DB meter to see how loud it gets with something other than a guess too!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-30, 21:34

Turtle, did you find any refurb Airs?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-01, 20:54

I did! I just need my son to get this project done so I can get him one. I think I saw where Amazon has been dropping the price enough that it is a better deal to buy new though. I'm actually pretty shocked and the price drops being seen already.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-02, 01:26

Couldn’t you get an education discount?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-02, 11:09

I can, but the Veteran discount ends up with less red tape. You just verify your government status (via id.me) and then it gets you the discounts with Apple.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-02, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Oh, it just dawned on me that you likely have an Apple Watch too and can use the DB meter to see how loud it gets with something other than a guess too!
I have Macs Fan Control app on all of my computers so I just used that for this.

Ambient room noise was 35 db and when I turned the fan on the MBP all the way up to full blast, it went to 45 db with my watch held right about the keyboard.

Definitely noticeable, but that was the first time I've heard the fan come on on that computer since I got it.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-03, 08:25

Nice. Thanks. That is pretty quiet overall. I'll have test out my MBP (i7) and see what it sounds like to my Watch later today.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-28, 20:29

Yikes.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-28, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
1) website is literally made to, and I quote, “poke fun at how ridiculous infosec clickbait vulnerability reporting has become lately”
2) clickbait pipelines like Engadget eat it up

Read their FAQ. Yes, there’s a hole. No, it doesn’t matter much at all.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-05-29, 07:17

That story made rounds on many tech sites yesterday. It’s a real thing, but it isn’t a big deal on the Mac. If you get two malware or virus apps installed you have bigger problems than them talking to each other. On mobile, so on, the iPad Pro right now, it’s more of an issue, since if they manage to sneak something passed the checks at Apple they could use one app send prompts suggesting another seemly safe app, that they could use a cover for sending data out as a way around OS level protections.
Partial
Stallion

2021-06-02, 15:26

Hey folks, it's been awhile. I remember when I joined this forum was right around the time of the Apple migration to Intel when they released the white/black MacBooks.

Really glad to see this community still ticking! I cannot wait for WWDC - I suspect they will announce 14" and 16" MacBook Pros.

I am blown away by what Apple has been able to achieve so far from a PPW perspective. Mind blowing how well the M1 fares against chips that get multiple times higher TDP!

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-02, 18:08

Wow, Partial, great to "see" you! Thanks for popping in, and we hope you can find some time to poke around a bit and have some fun with the old gang. I think everyone still lurking has been doing so for 17 odd years.

And, yes, we're still here!

And, second yes, the M1 is truly miraculous. I cannot remember such a huge leap in processor performance from a single offering. However, to be fair Apple has been at the game for 11 years (all the way back to the A4) and have been developing and perfecting silicon for far longer. That the M1 is a beast is not surprising. That it's the beast to beat is!

The suspicion between my ears says the M1 is the path forward for all of Apple's devices. At some point, the thing will be small enough to shovel into an iPhone.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-28, 20:04

We're almost at the end of June. The new school semester starts for students from mid-August through early September.
And we haven't gotten the M2 Macs - the larger iMac and 14"/16" MacBook Pros - as of yet.

Apple usually has a First Tuesday in August date for Mac releases sometimes, right?

I'm guessing that's where things are headed this year.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-06-28, 20:16

Considering dumping my 2019 MacBook Pro for an M2.....tempted. Just waiting to see.
chucker

2021-06-29, 02:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
We're almost at the end of June. The new school semester starts for students from mid-August through early September.
And we haven't gotten the M2 Macs - the larger iMac and 14"/16" MacBook Pros - as of yet.

Apple usually has a First Tuesday in August date for Mac releases sometimes, right?
August isn't typically the month for MBPs: https://infonewt.com/apple-release-p...s/#macbook-pro

Really unsure what's going on here.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-06-29, 07:05

The entire supply chain is messed up, chip shortages, backlogs in shipping ports, or Apple hasn’t got the M2 ready yet? Not hitting performance expectations, or maybe yields of the wafers aren’t good enough to go into production? Maybe there are other production issues?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-29, 08:57

The latest, for whatever it’s worth.

Patience, I guess. Third quarter, second half of 2021, later this year, etc.

I’m putting my money in between tomorrow and December 31.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-29, 09:34

A friend is currently traveling through Greece and her photos have been a jarring reminder of how DIFFERENT things are here in the United States as compared to other nations around the world insofar as "back to normal" goes.

When I hear that there's a chip shortage my first reaction is "What's the deal??" and my second reaction is :: points to example of Greece ::

The production curve is heading towards "normal" but since I'm not in those trades I don't have a realistic sense of the timetable.

Sure hope that it's Q3, but October/November is where my money is.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-29, 10:11

There's usually a Mac-oriented event in October, 3-4 weeks after the September iPhone event. That October wing-ding is probably a good guess, unless we're all in for a nice surprise in the next 1-2 months (if nothing happens by mid-late August, I doubt they'll steal any September iPhone thunder, and October (or November) it'll be.

So I'm guessing it'll happen either in the next 4-6ish weeks, or sometime in mid-October or later.

If there are supply and/or production/"back to normal' issues at play, then yeah...October seems like the smart bet. It could very well be a quiet summer, hardware-wise, and everything cool/anticipated takes place in September-October.

You know, like most years (seriously, when was the last time Apple released new hardware in July-August, without an event and via press release only? Especially a completely new, redesigned something-or-other without a splashy event? The answer: never. Doesn't mean it can't/won't happen (it's Apple...every time we zig, they zag).

But the odds, and history, are strongly against it.

If nothing came at WWDC - their big chance, with a gazillion eyes on them, to announce/show off new, next-generation notebooks (and/or a larger, powerful iMac) on second-generation Apple silicon - then yeah...holding one's breath for a press release-only announcement in July or August seems a bit optimistic, IMO.

Those eager for these new notebooks (or iMacs) should probably learn an important phrase: "October ain't that far away...". In the meantime, enjoy the summer and keep saving your nickels and dimes for a few more months (max out the RAM, etc.).
chucker

2021-06-29, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Those eager for these new notebooks (or iMacs) should probably learn an important phrase: "October ain't that far away...". In the meantime, enjoy the summer and keep saving your nickels and dimes for a few more months (max out the RAM, etc.).
I mean… at that point, the 16-inch would be 23 months old. Oof.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-29, 11:04

I know, but that's Apple for you. They're not strangers to letting certain products languish for years without any significant tweaks (or any at all). Zero surprise. The Mac mini, the trashcan Mac Pro, the 21.5" iMac, the 12" MacBook, various iPods and AirPort products over the years, etc.

I'm sure, in their mind, whatever is coming will make it worth the wait. And probably so, if this first round of M1-based Macs are any indication.

If they're battling supply/manufacturing issues out of their control, they can't really do much other than just expect people to be patient and hold on a little longer.

They could pre-announce, of course, but they may not have a firm delivery time set and don't want to have some open-ended announcement blow up in their face? If they say "shipping by mid-August", and that doesn't happen, that's almost worse than just not committing to anything at all.

Let people be antsy/disappointed for vague reasons of their own making...don't give them ammunition to use against you!

And here's the thing, let's be honest: nobody owning a 2018-2019 Mac of any kind is hurting or somehow suddenly unable to get things done. And anyone owning/using something even older...well, they've gone this far, so what could another few months, at this point, possibly hurt?

People confuse "want" vs. "need". All the time. Tech and otherwise.

My bet is that they're coming in the fall so macOS Monterey is the pre-installed/default OS. Just my gut feeling at this point.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-06-29 at 11:20.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-29, 11:18

1) Macs have had to go longer than 24-ish months waiting on chips or some other thing.

2) The closer we get to November, the more likely it is that there is an M2/M2X launch simultaneously. The Air and Mini will get the M2, the 30" iMac, and 14 and 16 inch MacBooks Pro will get M2X. It's starting to feel like the M1X is a no-go due to production issues, so perhaps they just skip it and get straight to the M2 family? The M1 will stick around in the iPad Pro for the foreseeable future.

chucker

2021-06-29, 11:20

Sure, but the sales volume of the 16-inch (and the mid-range 13-inch) has got to be much higher than that of the Mac mini or Pro.