AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Press event set for Oct. 12th

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Press event set for Oct. 12th
Page 1 of 45 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
propheci

2005-10-04, 15:31

According to Engadget:

"Not even a month since their last big product launch, and already Apple’s rounding up the usual suspects for yet another event. Will it be to let loose some new iPods—perhaps more capacious and featuring Bluetooth/A2DP headphone support? Or will it be for some new high-end Macs? Or both? Or neither? Your guess is as good as ours, but we’ll find out a week from tomorrow, 1:00PM EST/10:00AM PST. Be there, or, um, find out from us."

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-04, 15:35

Methinks it'll be new iPods and or new PowerMacs. MacRumors usually has a pretty high degree or accuracy, although I'd be more confident if ThinkSecret picked up on the story.

Come waste your time with me

propheci

2005-10-04, 15:37

It's interesting to note that the location is a pretty old/decorative theatre. so video ipod perhaps?

http://www.shomler.com/calsj/

onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-10-04, 15:43

AI has jumped the gun already.

I think it would be nice if Apple updated the Airport express but Im not holding my breath.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-04, 15:44

An iPod video would kick ass. I wouldn't even care if the Powerbook wasn't updated - I'd probably get an iMac and start begging my parents for broadband.

I find it interesting that the invites said "Just one more thing..." If it was for new Powerbooks and Power Macs, that'd be two, not-so-new things.

jimbo123

2005-10-04, 15:55

Sounds like the iVid Pod to me. If so I'm in the market for an iPod this would be sweet.

userinterface

2005-10-04, 15:56

http://courtkizer.com/ipod_theater_confident.png

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-04, 16:00

I knew that pic was fake when it was just starting to load - Apple would call it the "iPod theater," not "iPod Theater." And "iPod video" sounds better anyhow.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-10-04, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by userinterface
http://courtkizer.com/ipod_theater_confident.png
What the hell is that? Part of me hopes it's a video iPod so all you people would shut the hell up every time there's an event. I HATE the idea of a video iPod, personally.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

userinterface

2005-10-04, 16:04

actually duh it's fake, as fLook at the iPod nano page it's "iPod nano" not "iPod Nano"

LOL my mistake, my original mockup had theater LOWERCASE and i must have lost the revision ;-)

userinterface

2005-10-04, 16:06

I just want to take my movies with me. Load up my library, and take it to my friends house and plug it into his tv, via HDMI

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-04, 16:08

My favorite take on the iPod video so far is this:

http://www.mobilemagazine.com/archiv...le_ipod_m.html

People watch video differently than they listen to movies. Would a clickwheel even make sense? I originally imagined the iPod video using a small, iPod-shuffle-style "control circle," but I think the idea of two "clickpads" makes even more sense. Mobile Magazine's mockup isn't perfect - the buttons in the corners should be put on the clickpads themselves, and I don't think such an easily-accidentally-pressed fast-forward/rewind slider is such a good idea - but it's a very promising concept.

From the sounds of the AI article, though, the iPod video is going to be closer to a traditional iPod, with a larger screen. It almost sounds like the screen is vertically oriented, which is weird, and suggests a smaller (3-inch?) screen.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-04, 16:11

Quote:
actually duh it's fake, as fLook at the iPod nano page it's "iPod nano" not "iPod Nano"

LOL my mistake, my original mockup had theater LOWERCASE and i must have lost the revision ;-)
It's not a bad mockup - using the nano's smaller clickwheel is a good idea (that sounds like what Apple is doing), and at least you put the clickwheel to the side of the screen, rather than at the bottom (thus forming an unwieldy square that wouldn't fit in anyone's pocket), but again, I question if a clickwheel is as necessary on an iPod video. I also don't think Apple would make such an oddly-shaped iPod - trust me, they'd need the extra room around the clickwheel for something.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-10-04, 16:14

Quote:
I just want to take my movies with me. Load up my library, and take it to my friends house and plug it into his tv, via HDMI
You can't do this legally. And how many people (with money, not 15 year old boys) would do this? There's no market for this type of device.

When are people going to get into their heads that "video on the go" is not ready for primetime? It's the fucking stupidest idea I've ever heard, honestly.

mjteix

2005-10-04, 16:14

I suspect that it's gonna be more than just "one more thing...":
* new iPods 40GB and 80GB video
* new PowerMacs dual dual-core
* new PowerBooks 7448@1.8GHz
* new Airport Extreme w/video out
* Mac OS X 10.4.3
* iTunes 5.0.2
Everything will be updated before Xmas and then they can focus on the Intel switch!

doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2005-10-04, 16:18

Well, it looks like the banned Mr. "abrooks" wasn't so far off in his link to his own webpage, judging by appleinsider's article : video iPod for possibly next week

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-04, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
When are people going to get into their heads that "video on the go" is not ready for primetime? It's the fucking stupidest idea I've ever heard, honestly.
So "video on the go" will never be ready for primetime? So Apple can't make the product that makes "video on the go" ready for primetime?

I know several people who bought a PSP primarily for the UMD Videos. Say what you will whether you think that's a good purchase or not; it does prove that there is substantial interest in portable video players. You can bet Apple has been watching UMD and PSP sales very closely.

I would buy an iPod video. I'd probably download quite a few movies for $10 a pop from Apple's video store, too.

And is it really necessary for your argument to border on ad hominem? "Get it into there heads"? "Fucking stupidest idea"? Just because people disagree with you about a f'ing video player doesn't mean they're idiots. Just a thought.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-04, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjteix
I suspect that it's gonna be more than just "one more thing...":
* new iPods 40GB and 80GB video
* new PowerMacs dual dual-core
* new PowerBooks 7448@1.8GHz
* new Airport Extreme w/video out
* Mac OS X 10.4.3
* iTunes 5.0.2
What? No Mac mini update?

I'm sorta hoping that iMac and eMac will see an update before the end of the year, too. Well, unless I buy one before the update. Then I'd hope they didn't get updated until July.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-10-04, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
So "video on the go" will never be ready for primetime? So Apple can't make the product that makes "video on the go" ready for primetime?

I know several people who bought a PSP primarily for the UMD Videos. Say what you will whether you think that's a good purchase or not; it does prove that there is substantial interest in portable video players. You can bet Apple has been watching UMD and PSP sales very closely.

I would buy an iPod video. I'd probably download quite a few movies for $10 a pop from Apple's video store, too.

And is it really necessary for your argument to border on ad hominem? "Get it into there heads"? "Fucking stupidest idea"? Just because people disagree with you about a f'ing video player doesn't mean they're idiots. Just a thought.
I never said never. I said it's not right now. The key to success, and the reason the iPod is doing so well, is to take a mature market and make it even easier to use.

You know several people who have bought PSPs for UMD movies? How many people do you know who have bought iPods?

What about downloaded mp3s? Compare that to the number of people who download movies and you'll see this is a small market and one that can't afford what it would cost to buy a video iPod.

And, as far as all indications go, the UMD market is a flop.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-04, 16:40

I think the only UMD I'd ever buy is Napoleon Dynamite, just so I'd be able to watch random scenes from it whenever the craving hit. Of course, with an iPod video, I'd just download it.

The iPod took an existing market - that of portable HD-based music "jukeboxes" - and brought it to the masses. That's pretty much what a new iPod video would do, too - there's already HD-based video players, like the Zen Vision. They just haven't reached the mainstream market yet. Yes, the iPod and the iPod video are in somewhat different situations - people were used to listening to music on the go before the iPod was introduced, obviously - but that doesn't mean that an iPod video is any less viable. It's entirely possible that Apple wants to "create" the market for videos-on-the-go, served through their iTheatre Movie Store or whatever. Are you honestly saying Apple should wait five years, until everybody is watching video on their Zen Visions and PSP HDs, and then introduce an iPod video?

The iPod took over the digital audio player market. Do you really think Apple should wait on making an iPod video until other people dominate the market, just so they can try and take it over again? The iPod video is different from the iPod. They're not breaking into an entirely new industry (portable audio), they're dealing with the inevitable next step of that industry - portable video.

autodata
hustlin

2005-10-04, 16:47

I'm guessing it's the announcement for some sort of video/movie store.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-04, 16:56

Oh, and add this to the fuel for the "Wednesday is the new Tuesday" bit.

(Personally, I don't believe it, but if believing it gives me hope that they'd be new Macs yet this week, count me as a believer!)

It'd be cruel for Apple to announce the iPod video and not any new Macs...

T2dak668

2005-10-04, 16:57

my only question will be... will this be just a video player or will it in fact have itunes & play music???

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-10-04, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
I'm guessing it's the announcement for some sort of video/movie store.
Are you kidding me?! Apple can't even get the greedy RIAA to stop whining after the fact... no way they'd get the MPAA to play nice and license movies to them now, given the success of the iTMS!

OK, I know the licensing would have to be done through each studio individually, but it's easier to refer to them collectively as the RIAA and MPAA.

I'm serious though, I'm just not sure that they've mustered the means to strike a deal with the MPAA for real video content. I figure the iPod video would be limited to the music video, video podcasts, and other such content through the iTMS until Apple can become successful enough with the iPod video to finally strongarm the MPAA into offering reasonably sized, reasonably priced movies for download at the iMovie Video Store. Or something like that. I'm not sure they (Apple) would like the confusion of putting videos under the label iTunes.

Just my two cents, albeit somewhat light-hearted at the beginning.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-04, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2dak668
my only question will be... will this be just a video player or will it in fact have itunes & play music???
I'm sure it'd play audio, too. It'd be kinda weird if it didn't, right? I mean, considering it'd have everything necessary to play audio, but didn't...

i_love_ipods

2005-10-04, 18:03

As much as I would love to see a video iPod, I highly doubt it will be released next week. The nano was just recently released, and I think that is Apple's iPod product for the holiday season. We may see an iPod update, and the other iPod models will get the screen lock features, etc., or an increase in capacity. But other than that, don't get your hopes too high. At the earliest, don't expect to see an iPod video on the shelf until Feb-Mar 2006.

userinterface

2005-10-04, 18:27

I'm 100% sure it's video iPod, I'll take bets with anyone. Content is coming from Paramount, Walt Disney, and full length music videos...

Not only that, members of iPod sites were invited to this event, not just general media, but general media and specifically people such as ipoding.com and other ipod specific sites. were invited there

doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2005-10-04, 18:44

I know this isn't exactly what everyone would be looking for, but what about those of us that want to bring our own home movies around with us, so we don't have to wait hours and hours for our dvd's to burn or whatever? Isn't this a plausible use for the almost confirmed iPod video?

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-10-04, 18:47

So in another thread earlier today I speculated about next weeks conference call and analysts hounding Apple about all those great PPC products in the pipeline. I was going to write that if Apple where to announce a Special event before then that would keep the analyst at bay. I didn't because Apple just had one and it didn't seem logical at the time. I will never make that mistake again.

Now I have this bit of speculation for you and I am not holding back. Apple today hit a new all-time intra-day high on their stock before their Q4 earnings are released on Tuesday Apple will beark the $60 mark and close above that at least one day. Then Apple will release a Q4 and end of year report that will cause a roller coster stock frenzy right up to the start of the special event on Wednesday. Then before the close of business on Wednesday Apple stock will hit $65 and will come close to closing that high.

Now the special event "One More Thing" will not be the announcement of just one more thing, but will be a series of one more things. Yes, Apple is going to knock us down in disbelief with an event to rival any Apple event since the intro of the very first Mac. Which still sends chills down my spine when I watch it. It will cover Macs, iPods, Monitors, and more.

36 botlles of rum on the wall 36 bottles of rum pass it around drink it down 35 bottles of rum on the wall. LOL

Mile 1

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-10-04, 18:51

Well, I'm betting eleventy gazillion dollars that it's an iPod-oriented event of some sort. I mean, heaven forbid they actually did anything major involving an actual Mac, right?

Apple. All iPod, all the time.

Sorry, that was my cynical, sour grapes monkey running loose there for a second.