Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

USB problems after 10.4.3 upgrade

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
USB problems after 10.4.3 upgrade
Joolz34

2005-11-06, 18:56

Hi
I just wanted to mention something that I found by chance. I upgraded my powerbook to 10.4.3 just after it came out and everything seemed to be going smoothly, no issues at all.

Then today I plugged in a USB disk in the port on the left hand side of the powerbook and nothing happened. I took it out and tried again, still nothing. I then tried it in the port on the right side and it worked.
I was able to repeat this with every single USB device that I have, worked on the right hand side port but not the left.

Bear in mind that immediately after installing 10.4.3. Id done a repair permissions etc, and as I carry my powerbook around with me its been shutdown and restarted numerous times since the update.

I did some research and although I found other people with the problem I didnt find a solution on the net.

I have managed to get it working though, all I did was to switch off the powerbook, but a usb drive in and power on. Once it got to the desktop I could see the drive, afterwards I could eject it, reinsert it and all was ok, the same for the other usb devices I have.

I then restared the powerbook once more, this time with nothing connected and after the reboot tried connecting the devices again and now everythings working as it should.

I dont know if anyone else has this problem here but I thought this might help someone. If this hadnt of worked the next step would have been to reset the PRAM I guess. Well I hope it helps someone.

Cheers

Joolz