Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

New iPod Video Ad Sucks

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iPod Video Ad Sucks
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
SushiE

2005-11-17, 15:26

I'm sorry to all you U2 fans out there. But Bono sounds like a pubescent 12 year old gargling hydrogen peroxide in that new iPod commercial. I don't know what song that is, but it is the most mundane, hackneyed piece of crap that's come out of Europe since The Darkness. I can't imagine why Apple chose that horrific song to represent such a sleek device. What's their deal with U2 anyway? Is Jobs sucking Bono's dick or vice versa or what. First you had the U2 iPod, which was about the most retarded thing I'd ever seen. Who is such a big U2 fan that they're going to blow $300 on an iPod just to show it off? I'd rather have Nelly solder a solid gold Band-Aid to my eye. And now Bono's face is plastered all over the new video iPod...enough already, whose next? Rod Stewart? Barry Manilow? Get it together Apple, it's supposed to be about the music. Try listening to the track once or twice before making it your theme song...

-SushiE

PS.
This is the spot where I became a jerk and posted a link to my blog. I apologize to everyone for appearing like a douche pipe...

Last edited by SushiE : 2005-11-17 at 16:08.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-11-17, 15:33

*Yawn*....Blog advert...

Have to admit to laughing at the gold band-aid line though...
SledgeHammer

2005-11-17, 15:37

Well, opinions are opinions, and we are each entitled to our own. Frankly, I think Original of the Species is a great song, and was disappointed that they didn't play it the night I saw them in Philly, last month. It is also the same song they debuted at the announcement of the U2 iPod, last year.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-17, 15:37

Yeah, this website is not your own personal blog, and you can't just copy-paste your blog posts here to get more exposure.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-17, 16:00

It appears there was a misunderstanding.

SushiE sent me a PM explaining that he actually originally wrote his post HERE and shortly afterwards he pasted it to his blog. I apologize to SushiE if I was a bit too harsh.

I'd still advise new members (especially) to be careful about having the same exact writing in two locations. There have been several cases where someone dropped in, pasted in a large block of text, and then left our forum, never to be seen again... except at OTHER forums, where they did the same thing. That's not cool. Besides, it looks kind of robotic, even if you're not spamming.

I will reopen this to allow the discussion to continue but to anyone reading this, please keep the above in mind.
Legodude522

Send a message via ICQ to Legodude522 Send a message via AIM to Legodude522 Send a message via MSN to Legodude522 Send a message via Yahoo to Legodude522 Send a message via Skype™ to Legodude522 
2005-11-17, 16:09

I'm not a fan of U2 but I do like the look of the U2 iPod. But I will have to agree that the commercial wasn't as WOWing as others and could have done better. I am not an iPod owner though.

14" Apple iBook 1.42ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb 7200rpm HDD. 2ghz AMD Athlon 64 3200+.
Palm m125 > Palm Zire 71 > Tapwave Zodiac 1 > Palm Zire 72 > Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 -> Palm Tungsten T|3
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-11-17, 16:37

I think U2 is OK, but I really think that the song in the new ad is pretty awful. So I hear ya. Rant on.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-11-17, 16:43

i woulda thought that apple would pick an artist who would appeal to the "younger" generations. U2 does not exactly do it for teenagers and even a lot of people (guessing) in their early twenties.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-17, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey
i woulda thought that apple would pick an artist who would appeal to the "younger" generations. U2 does not exactly do it for teenagers and even a lot of people (guessing) in their early twenties.
Agreed. Using Eminem in a spot made much better sense, but even Eminem doesn't appeal to all young people and he isn't the boundary-pushing giant that he used to be.

As a person in his early twenties who is probably in Apple's demographic, when I think of U2 and Bono, I think of this.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wraven

2005-11-17, 16:48

Brad, you are a bastard.

Regarding the ad, I like U2, and the ad. But I can see how non-fans wouldn't like it. And yes, I am 28 and probably don't fit in their biggest demographic.

Cheers,
Wraven
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-11-17, 16:50

and from being on a college campus for 4 years, it would be hard to convince me that a large portion of iPod sales come from college students, and maybe you can throw some high school students in there. i would have to say an age group of like 16-23, and like i said, U2 doesnt exactly appeal to that age group. you would think they would make a bigger push to younger age groups. it was a good attempt with the eminem add, minus the plagiarism.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-17, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven
But I can see how non-fans wouldn't like it.
As a "non-fan" (I don't dislike U2) and as someone who understands a good chunk of the Spanish language, their song "Vertigo" pisses me off to no end. Every time I hear "uno, dos, tres, catorce" I want to rip the radio out of my car.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-17, 17:27

Hell, you don't have to know much Spanish to know that he's counting incorrectly. Just watch a couple episodes of Sesame Street.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2005-11-17, 18:37

I'd rather listen to Bono count incorrectly than hear some rapper talk about banging his bitches and hoes then shooting them.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-11-17, 18:42

I'm with RowdyScot.

But that's a topic for another thread...

I don't mind the new commercial. I think the idea was to shock people - like, at first you just see a U2 video, and then you see it's playing on an iPod. And it is shocking.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-11-17, 18:47

right, but they could have used any artist or maybe even a clip from Lost of Desprite Housewives. in a nutshell im just saying i think they could have used something more appealing instead of U2
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 18:57

U2 still has considerable appeal in Europe as far as I can tell. Maybe the European market is part of the equation?
Kit Fisto

2005-11-17, 18:58

The last good music U2 put out was "Passengers" in 1995. They have been doing really good works- such as reducing Third World debt, but as musicians they seem to have lost touch.

However, one must not forget how great they once were. They are as great as any band of their era. If you have seen the video for "Gloria" you know what I mean. It was musical innovation, a tremendous amount energy, and it was founded upon principle and belief. They've stuck to their principles and beliefs even though they are rich and famous.
Wraven

2005-11-17, 23:27

In Vertigo he sings "Uno, dos, tres, catorce!" ON PURPOSE folks, because in the song he is losing his mind. Wow...

And sorry to derail this thread (but I gotta stick up for Bono).

Cheers,
Wraven
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-11-17, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Agreed. Using Eminem in a spot made much better sense, but even Eminem doesn't appeal to all young people and he isn't the boundary-pushing giant that he used to be.
and here is where 'tosh would have jumped in with Green Day..........
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-17, 23:56

Quote:
In Vertigo he sings "Uno, dos, tres, catorce!" ON PURPOSE folks, because in the song he is losing his mind.
Well, that might have "clicked" for us non-fans if he was saying something outrageously crazy, not outrageously stupid. Instead, all we hear is wrong counting, a bunch of yeahs, and a couple hellos. *cues the iPod commercial*

AWR
Veteran Member

2005-11-18, 03:53

Quote:
As a person in his early twenties who is probably in Apple's demographic, when I think of U2 and Bono, I think of this.
I've never seen that. Now I am dizzy from hyperventilating. It starts out funny - 'It was the most difficult thing that I've ever done' - and keeps going.

I stopped being interested in U2 after Under a Blood Red Sun, which came out when I was 16.

The only thing I hate about 'him' though are his sunglasses.
SledgeHammer

2005-11-18, 08:27

Quote:
In Vertigo he sings "Uno, dos, tres, catorce!" ON PURPOSE folks, because in the song he is losing his mind. Wow...

And sorry to derail this thread (but I gotta stick up for Bono).
Yeah, I have friends that get all riled up every time they hear the beginning to that song. But if he had counted correctly, people would just be complaining that it was played out. It's not like Bono accidentally sings the wrong number every time they play the song. I, for one, always found it kind of amusing.

Last edited by SledgeHammer : 2005-11-18 at 11:34.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-11-18, 09:32

Deliberate =/= clever.
Wraven

2005-11-18, 10:14

AWR,
It's "Under a Blood Red SKY". I know - I'll shut up now.
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-11-18, 10:51

Quote:
AWR,
It's "Under a Blood Red SKY". I know - I'll shut up now.
Hey Wraven, that sounds much better. It was approximately 11,378 bottles of red wine ago.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-11-18, 11:55

Quote:
As a "non-fan" (I don't dislike U2) and as someone who understands a good chunk of the Spanish language, their song "Vertigo" pisses me off to no end. Every time I hear "uno, dos, tres, catorce" I want to rip the radio out of my car.
Why?

It's music, not Spanish class. Frankly, catorce sounds better than cuatro would.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-18, 17:59

No, it doesn't.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-11-18, 18:34

There's another U2 iPod ad?
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-18, 18:37

I dislike the U2 iPod advert—it's just non-stop really annoying sound. The Eminem advert pisses me off, too. It splices two parts of the song together, which is completely disorienting.

bouncy bouncy