Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Do security devices exist for iMacs?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Do security devices exist for iMacs?
JLG

2006-01-19, 09:37

Hello,
As a brand new iMac Core Duo 20" owner, I couldn't be more thrilled with my first mac ever. Although, seeing how I am a college student, and from the horror stories and what not that I have heard from my friends already at the university (im starting spring semester), it has come to my knowledge that a lot of belongings are stolen from the dorm rooms from either careless room mates or other means. I was wondering if there are any known devices, and, if not, any suggestions on what I can do to ensure that my new iMac will not easily be taken from my room in the event that something happens. Any advice/help would be mostly appreciated!

Thanks
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-19, 09:40

What about a simple lock and chain? It seems to me that you could easily fix the iMac's foot to a table or whatever, and taking just the iMac without the foot is probably not very practical (I don't know how hard it is to remove the foot, though).
JLG

2006-01-19, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
What about a simple lock and chain? It seems to me that you could easily fix the iMac's foot to a table or whatever, and taking just the iMac without the foot is probably not very practical (I don't know how hard it is to remove the foot, though).
I considered this, but, as you have said, I don't know how easy it is to take the iMac off the stand either, and I really don't want to try and see and end up breaking it or something.
JLL

2006-01-19, 10:05

Just use a Kensington Lock:

http://us.kensington.com/html/1427.html
JLG

2006-01-19, 10:09

No offense, but that just seems to me as if the person can just pick the computer up even with that thing on it?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-01-19, 10:22

Wow- Keningston must have a crappy marketing team.

The picture you saw was lame. What they'd do is hook the computer then run the cable through a metal fastener permanently attached to the desk.

But the picture you saw; they just hm, chained all computer stuff together but not to desk. Genius.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-19, 10:22

But what would the thief do with an iMac sans stand? It's not going to be easy to sell, and it looks rather suspicious. So even if it may not make it completely impossible to steal it, the thief might think twice and look for something that makes more sense.

(That reminds me of a joke: Two men are out in the desert, when they see a lion running after them. One of them starts to run, and the other asks him: "Why are you running? Do you really think you can outrun a lion?", to which the other replies "No. But all I have to do is outrun you!")
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-19, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
But the picture you saw; they just hm, chained all computer stuff together but not to desk. Genius.
Have you ever tried carrying a PC, CRT, and printer at the same time? I'd say this is sufficient to keep the things there. But it won't do much for an iMac, of course ...
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-19, 10:25

maybe you can find something between and
JLL

2006-01-19, 10:34

I actuallty meant to link to this:

http://us.kensington.com/html/2219.html

It's a cable that can go around a table, pole or something else, and the iMac has a Kensington Security Slot.

- No matter where you go, there you are.
JLG

2006-01-19, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL
I actuallty meant to link to this:

http://us.kensington.com/html/2219.html

It's a cable that can go around a table, pole or something else, and the iMac has a Kensington Security Slot.
This seems like it could do the trick...have you used this before? I just wanna make sure you just cant yank it out real hard and still make away with the computer even if it is damaged but still working.
JLL

2006-01-19, 10:41

We use them for our web kiosks.
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2006-01-19, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG
This seems like it could do the trick...have you used this before? I just wanna make sure you just cant yank it out real hard and still make away with the computer even if it is damaged but still working.
My employer requires that notebook computers be secured with this lock while the employee is away from the desk (but not overnight). So, it's good enough for corporate security. Now whether that's good enough for you is another matter.
SledgeHammer

2006-01-19, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG
I used one with my PowerBook all through college. They work well. I'm pretty sure there's no getting it out of there without damaging the computer (and I think even that would be difficult/impossible to do with ones bare hands).
JLG

2006-01-19, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolToddHunter
My employer requires that notebook computers be secured with this lock while the employee is away from the desk (but not overnight). So, it's good enough for corporate security. Now whether that's good enough for you is another matter.
Yea, I'm not really sure because where I go to school there's a lot of crime and armed robberies and the area is really bad. This seems like a good security device but ive heard some pretty bad stories from people, and was seeing if there were any other options other than getting a few chains and wrapping it around the computer whenever I have to leave the room, which is something I don't feel like doing.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-19, 11:31

Before you buy a Kensington, make sure you watch this video (WMV). See also this page.

Just like the supposedly invulnerable Kryptonite, people have improvised openers with surprising ease.
scrouds

2006-01-19, 12:57

I had one for a while with my G4 iMac. Always tied it up to the bed frame. Joked a lot that this was to protect anyone stealing my bed. The lock always seemed secure to prevent oppurtunity theft, but someone intent on geting it would get it no matter what
Alexia

Send a message via AIM to Alexia  
2006-01-19, 15:44

A metal chain through the hole in the stand and around a solid portion of the desk with a lock would be sufficient. Kensington locks are good deterrents against the theif who wants a quick grab and run. The most determined theif will get your property if you leave it alone long enough.(Of course, it looks very suspicious cutting through 3/16" chain with a metal grinder/dremel. )
dazwan

2006-01-19, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Before you buy a Kensington, make sure you watch this video (WMV). See also this page.

Just like the supposedly invulnerable Kryptonite, people have improvised openers with surprising ease.
It's because of this that you're now recommended to go for the combination lock style Kensington locks, unless the thief knows your number it will take longer to crack than the key-lock versions.

On the whole, as has been mentioned, these are more of a visual deterrent than a security device, I think most thieves won't want to waste several minutes messing with a combination lock they will just want to grab and run so they are more likely to steal your iPod or CD's if they are close to hand.