AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 1 of 103 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-29, 20:22

I thought we could have an *ongoing* movie thread where people could post a few comments about movies currently in the theaters at any given time, OR discuss *any* topic of interest that relates to films past or present.

Members would have an additional place to look when deciding how to spend their weekend movie dollars (pounds, euros, etc. ), and a place to discuss anything at all related to films.

Maybe you could rate your movie on a scale of 1 to 10, and please put your film title in bold.

Oh, and PLEASE don't give away any of the surprises, shocks, or specific details that might ruin the movie for the rest of us.

Thanks for all replies.

To start:

1) I finally got around to seeing Eight Below, the sled dog movie. I liked it a lot.

There were some absolutely *stunning* shots of the snowy frozen wilderness; a pretty decent plot, with 'some' suspense (considering that it was based on a true story); and some simply gorgeous and wonderful sled dogs. Okay, I'm a major dog lover.

Anyway, I enjoyed this film, definitely think it's worth seeing, and would rate it a 7.5

Be sure to stick around at the end for the watercolor paintings of scenes from the movie... if you're into watercolors, that is.

2) I also saw Failure to Launch, with Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker. I liked this one also. You may suppose that it's a chick-flick type movie, because it IS a romantic comedy, after all.

But... I think guys might like it because the screenplay was written by two guys.

As you probably know, it deals with a 35 yr. old guy still living at home. He has two good male friends who are also in that situation. His parents decide to take steps to deal with the problem.

I didn't expect much from this movie, but it was better than I had anticipated. I guess I'd rate it a 7.0, and I 'would' recommend it as a date movie. (I also seem to remember fleeting shots of an Apple laptop in a crucial scene. )

3) I mentioned Mrs. Henderson in another thread. It's about theater productions in wartime London that try to 'push the limits' to attract and keep theater-goers. I'd rate it a 6.5.

I'd wait for it to come out in DVD, so you can use your *pause* feature.

Has anyone seen Memoirs of a Geisha yet, and if so, what did you think of it? I might see that tonight at the $3 theater.

Summary:

Eight Below - 7.5
Failure to Launch - 7.0
Mrs. Henderson - 6.5

Last edited by Windswept : 2014-05-22 at 18:48.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-29, 20:57

Oh, and I saw She's the Man about a girl - pretending to be a guy - on a male soccer team. (Didn't pay to see it, if you know what I mean. )

I doubt if any of you guys would like it - well, maybe the 15 year olds. hahaha (just kidding, guys)

The female lead is shown in some low-cut dresses. The guy, without his shirt on, is Oh-so-cute (!!!). I guess I would rate it a 5.5.

Edit: I guess one interesting point about this film is that the male lead - who has NO ability to talk with females (a communication problem I seem to have heard about once or twice here at AN ) - converses so easily about his romance problems with his roommate (who he *thinks* is a guy ).

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-03-30 at 02:25.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-29, 21:16

Oh... and if you want to agree or disagree with an opinion, *please* feel free to do so!

Or... if you want to mention a film you're looking forward to...

For example, you probably all thought that Pirates of the Caribbean movie sucked from a year or so ago.

But... I love films with old ships as the scenery... all that wood, and those cool sails... and the gorgeous ocean and island shots. Maybe the film sucks, but sometimes I enjoy the scenery and costumes as much as the movie. Know what I mean?

So, I'm looking forward to Pirates 2, which is coming soon. Plus, Johnny Depp doesn't look half bad as a pirate. Hahaha.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-04-24 at 13:06.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-03-29, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
For example, you probably all thought that Pirates of the Caribbean movie sucked from a year or so ago.
On the contrary, I loved it. One of the funniest movies I saw that year.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-03-29, 23:06

A good friend of mine spent the better part of the last year in the Bahamas driving boats for the cast & crew filming Pirates of the Caribbean parts II and III. Hard work, good pay, and some interesting stories.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-29, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
A good friend of mine spent the better part of the last year in the Bahamas driving boats for the cast & crew filming Pirates of the Caribbean parts II and III. Hard work, good pay, and some interesting stories.
I don't suppose you could pass on a 'story' or two?

I rented the DVD of pirates, and watched a fair amount of the extra stuff, director's commentaries, etc.

I think it would be so great to film on location in such magnificent places. It sounded like they had just the best time.

Another DVD that I watched all the extra stuff for was Snow Falling on Cedars. I was truly *amazed* at all the artistic consideration that went into the making of that movie. Seriously, if you didn't watch all the filming commentaries, you likely missed out on a great deal of the symbolic and metaphoric content.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 00:03

Quote:
Another DVD that I watched all the extra stuff for was Snow Falling on Cedars. I was truly *amazed* at all the artistic consideration that went into the making of that movie. Seriously, if you didn't watch all the filming commentaries, you likely missed out on a great deal of the symbolic and metaphoric content.
I never saw the movie, but the book was awesome.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-03-30, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
I didn't look at what you were quoting and I thought you meant POTC. What a good laugh.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-03-30, 02:10

Just got back from "V for Vendetta". Pretty good. Not "OMG THE BEST MOVIE EVARRR1!!!~~!!!!11" or anything, but pretty good.

Edit: Hehe, forgot my rating... 8/10
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-30, 02:33

Crap.

I don't go to see movies.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-30, 02:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
Oh wow. If you liked the book, I think you would love the movie. I 'had' read the book; but by the time I saw the film, I had already forgotten almost all of the book... which was kinda nice, because then it was almost like a brand new story for me.

One thing about the movie - they went to extreme lengths to have historically accurate scenery, clothing, interior design... everything far and beyond what one might expect. But I wouldn't have known that had I not watched the director's commentaries and all the special extras (in the DVD).

The commentary on setting and scenery *really* opened my eyes to the depth of artistry this production chose to put into every aspect of the making of this film, from cinematography to set design. Symbolism and metaphor were to be found just everywhere.

I even wonder now if the movie might have been 'better' than the book - though that 'seldom' happens. I guess I'd have to say that they are distinct and separate works of art in their own right.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-03-31 at 12:41.
coldcuts

2006-03-30, 02:52

well i have'nt seen a movie since lat month but im really hoping to see X-Men 3 and The Vinci's Code.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-30, 03:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
Crap.

I don't go to see movies.
Well, it's pretty expensive to go see them, so you might as well just wait for the DVDs. They seem to just *fly* into DVD lately. I mean, it used to take forever till the video version came out. Now it's practically instant - as soon as it drops out of the theaters, it's out on DVD for rental two weeks later.

I don't know what it is, but I love to see movies in the springtime. Sometimes I'll go on my own during the week to the 4:30pm showing. When I used to go to AMC 14 in the mall, I had a little pattern. I'd drop by the food court for some bourbon chicken, then I'd hit Starbucks for a splash of caffeine, then to the movie. Ahh... such a treat.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 03:14

Quote:
Oh wow. If you liked the book, I think you would love the movie. I 'had' read the book; but by the time I saw the film, I had already forgotten almost all of the book... which was kinda nice, because then it was almost like a brand new story for me.
I'll check it out.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-30, 03:17

Heh.

Tonight saw Memoirs of a Geisha at the $3 theater.

The most recent review I read was definitely *not* good. I think that's unfortunate. Of *course* this wasn't an action movie. It was a different kind of film altogether.

I think the cinematography was outstanding in many parts. In fact, there was a subdued shot of an arched bridge over a shining river that was lovely enough to be worth the price of the movie many times over.

If a person had any interest in the culture of Japan, a movie like this should be appealing. I'd rate it a 6.8 for the insight it provides into the history and social past of that nation.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-04-24 at 13:12.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 03:18

My fiancee and I have also basically given up on going to the movies. With our big screen and sound system, it's a way better experience than the local multiplex can manage. As you mentioned, DVDs come out so quickly that it's not a big deal to wait.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 10:08

I saw Thank You for Smoking last week. They cut a few of the good bits from the book but it was still a great movie. Aaron Eckhart was perfect as a head lobbyist for the tobacco industry. There's great supporting roles from Robert Duvall and that guy that's been playing a cowboy in every western made in the last thirty years (I just checked, his name is Sam Eliot). William H. Macy and Rob Lowe were both great as well. Clearly, I thought everyone in it was awesome. It's just a nice little bit of satire, the kind you don't to see too often these days.

I generally don't go to movies bacause I hate people but I missed this one when it debuted at the Toronto Film Festival last year and I didn't have the patience to wait for it to come out on DVD.

My Rating: Pure thumbs-up action!!!!!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-30, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
I generally don't go to movies bacause I hate people
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 19:23

Quote:
God no, I wanna be Cap'n Jack Sparrow when I grow up.

Oh wait. I'm not planning on growing up. Oh well, another great plan shot to hell.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Oh wait. I'm not planning on growing up. Oh well, another great plan shot to hell.
There's always Peter Pan. He at least fights a pirate.
autodata
hustlin

2006-03-30, 19:45

Southern Belles

It didn't make it to theaters, but it was really fun, funny and sweet. See the reviews. I thought it was absolutely hilarious, but YMMV. Definitely worth checking out.

Last edited by autodata : 2006-03-30 at 19:50.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-30, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
Southern Belles

It didn't make it to theaters, but it was really fun, funny and sweet. See the reviews. I thought it was absolutely hilarious, but YMMV. Definitely worth checking out.
Wow. It sounds great. Definitely got some rave reviews on imdb:

Quote:
I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me. It was better than Gremlins, better than E.T.

I skipped out of the screening on puffy white clouds. By the final scene I was emotionally spent. Witty, insightful, a flat out well written gasser.

My funnybone says thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And that was written by a guy.

Hey, thanks for the tip, autodata. I'm definitely going to look for this DVD.

My family lived in a small town in Tennessee for three years, so I'll be curious to see if this film rings any bells (no pun intended. )
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-30, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
God no, I wanna be Cap'n Jack Sparrow when I grow up.

Hey, Kick, maybe we should start a Peter Pan Club - for all of us who never wanna grow up.

Whaddaya think, eh?

(That is, if we can manage to avoid having adulthood *thrust* upon us. )
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcuts
well i have'nt seen a movie since lat month but im really hoping to see X-Men 3 and The Vinci's Code.
I'm hoping the new X-Men will be good. My main reason for wanting to go see it is:

Anna Paquin *growl*

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-03-30, 23:22

I'm not really looking forward to the new X-Men movie because...

Spoiler (click to toggle):
It's going to be bad.

Thanks, Brad. I love news toys
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-03-31, 09:25

Going to be a nice summer for movies. I'm only wanting to see a few as of right now (X-Men, Superman Returns, Pirates of the Caribbean, An American Haunting, Find Me Guilty [I'll watch anything mafia-oriented ], Talladega Nights, etc.) but I'm sure more will be added as I become aware of them.

And no, I don't care a thing about "Cars", "MI:3" or "Poseidon" (that one looks absolutely horrible to me).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-03-31, 09:34

X-Men = auto-win for me. I'm seeing it.

Biggest one I'm looking forward too, though, is this:

It is REAL. As in, it's actually being made! Hooray!

P.S. Want proof? Trailer.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-03-31, 09:50

Why not Cars pscates? That's a sexy Porsche! And it's made by Pixar, so it'll probably have very polished animation.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-03-31, 11:05

"We got motherfuckin' snakes!"

Oh geez ... tears rollin' down my face. Thanks Luca.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-03-31, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Why not Cars pscates? That's a sexy Porsche! And it's made by Pixar, so it'll probably have very polished animation.
He's offended by the liberal subtext in Pixar's movies.

(I kid because it's Friday and I'm bored.)