User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Airport configuration question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airport configuration question
art jrk

2004-07-06, 10:58

I need some quick advice on what I need to make my home network work. Here are the details. I currently have two laptops (ibook, Tibook) connecting via airport (original base station) to a DSL router. I want to add a G4 desktop system to the network as well as have a USB printer connected to the G4 to be shared. The G4 and the Tibook run OSX while the ibook still runs OS 9.1.

My question is what do I need?

art jrk

...obviously less than perfect. :\
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-06, 11:30

One easy option is to just put an Airport card in the G4 desktop. Assuming it is a Gigabit Ethernet or later model (these were available in single 400 MHz, and dual 450 and 500 MHz), it should have an Airport card slot with an antenna built into the case. In this case, all you would need is an Airport card. Buy one from eBay (<$50 probably), connect the printer, turn on USB printer sharing, and you'll probably be ready to go.

Another option is to connect it via ethernet. This might work if the G4 doesn't have an Airport slot or won't be located in an area where it can get good reception. If you decide on ethernet, you have to get a cable long enough to plug the G4 into your router. You can also get a hub if you need more ports (my home's router has only four ports, and a 16-port hub connected to allow a lot of computers at once), but I don't think it should be necessary.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2004-07-08, 11:07

Oh, and restart everything a bunch when setting it up.....
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2004-07-08, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren
Oh, and restart everything a bunch when setting it up.....
Or not! I take my powerbook between 2 networks all the time - restarts are not needed with OSX

Not sure about the older base stations, So I'll assume it does not have the printer port. Secondly Does it have a LAN ethernet port on the base station?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!

Last edited by Gargoyle : 2004-07-08 at 13:10.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2004-07-08, 13:09

Yeah, I guess I wouldn't know anything about setting up Airport wireless networks seeing as I've only set up and admin'd four of them and go between 2 to 3 separate wireless networks on a daily basis. In my experience restarting a router or modem is the surest way to resolve any phantom networking issue during initial set up. That and make sure the little blinky light is on.

The future is tomorrow!

Last edited by naren : 2004-07-08 at 18:45.
art jrk

2004-07-09, 08:22

I checked eBay and the Airport card will run about $70 counting shipping. I can get a ethernet hub for about $40. I already have cables. The Base Station only has one ethernet port, same with the DSL router. If I go the way of the hub, will I need to reconfigure the base station to allow the Desktop internet access? Or can I configure the desktop to talk through the base station even though it would be hard wired to it?

Thanks for your help so far,
art jrk

...obviously less than perfect. :\
naren
snail herder

2004-07-10, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by art jrk
If I go the way of the hub, will I need to reconfigure the base station to allow the Desktop internet access? Or can I configure the desktop to talk through the base station even though it would be hard wired to it?
I have less experience with older Airport Routers, all I remember doing for the setup you're suggesting was plugging everything in, nothing fancy......