AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Call of Duty 4

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Call of Duty 4
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
canyon_Carver

2008-10-15, 11:41

Finally--

It has been ported and finally it has arrived to my house.

Infinity Ward/Aspyr did a fantastic job. COD has been a great series, and they keep improving their engine.
Amazing graphics....truly jaw dropping in some moments. The environments are lush. You have to watch what walls you
stand behind....unless its concrete you can shoot right through them. Camouflage really works. Lay in the grass and people walk right past you.
The sniper gulleysuits are nearly perfect. No longer do you see a visual difference between players and background.

I played the multiplayer last night...and had a surprise when the tracer bullets came flying towards me through the plywood barrier. And the Flashbangs really do their job.
If you get flashbanged you are out for the count for at least 5 seconds....

Another rank game--the more you play the better it gets, more weapon unlocks, more abilities. Sound design is wonderful, very realistic sound FX

I just hope infinity ward doesn't take another year to port COD5 for MAC.

Ill give it a 9-- of course I only have about 1.5 hours into the game right now.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-15, 11:54

How's the performance? What hardware are you running it on? It's a great game; quite demanding, but it looks great. I'm able to run it at maxed-out settings on my PC, which has a 2.4 GHz Athlon 64 and a Radeon HD3850 (slightly better than the GeForce 8800GS in the iMac, a little below the 8800GT). For multiplayer, I drop the settings down a bit to ensure high framerates at all times.

CoD5 won't make it to the Mac. It's being made by Treyarch, a crappy development house that has made a few horrible CoD spinoff games for Activision. Every single one has sucked and CoD5 looks to be no exception.

Infinity Ward even has disdain for these spinoff games. The only IW-made CoD games have been the original, CoD2, and CoD4. They even call CoD4 the "third installment;" the executable file in Windows is called iw3sp.exe (referring to it as Infinity Ward's 3rd game).

After CoD5, though, the series will be Infinity Ward only. It could take years to make it to Mac, though. I mean, CoD 4 came out a year ago and it's just now available for Mac. Better to just use Boot Camp or get a console, IMO.
canyon_Carver

2008-10-15, 11:57

Im running it on Intel 2.0 Ghz Imac, 2 Gb Ram, Radeon X1600 256mb of Ram.
I just ran it with the system-auto defaults--I wanted to jump right in.

Maybe tonight, I will put everything on MAX and see what happens.

But it is a beautiful game. 1000X better than Battlefield 2142.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-15, 12:03

First thing I'd do is set it to the maximum possible screen resolution. That does more to make the game look good than anything else.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-10-15, 14:21

It is a great game, although a little short and ends quite abruptly. Would have been nice for a couple more missions in there. I love the fact that you can't just run into an area guns blazing. You have to be a little clever about it otherwise your worm food pretty quickly.

I have it on my PS3 and it looks stunning. I am not sure if the PC/Mac version looks better but i was very surprised.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-15, 15:18

It definitely looks even better on PC/Mac, assuming you have the graphics horsepower. It runs at a higher resolution and the screen has a larger apparent size.

Oh, and you should try doing the game on Veteran difficulty. Or rather, you shouldn't, because it's absolutely punishing and evil.
MagSafe

2008-10-16, 05:21

Does anyone know what it'd be like running on a new MacBook (the higher end model)?

Thinking about getting it tonight with the purchase of a MacBook, but not to hopeful of it running smoothly.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-16, 10:56

Sweet. To Amazon I go... Any of you hosers up for a little AN death-match sometime in the next week or so? I know first hand Luca likes to put the smack down on fellow novans. He put me to shame the last time we played if I remember right.

...into the light of a dark black night.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-10-16, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon_Carver View Post
I just hope infinity ward doesn't take another year to port COD5 for MAC.
Treyarch did COD5 (and COD3). IW will do COD6 (like they did COD2 and COD4) or whatever they'll call it and it'll probably come out in 11/2009.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-16, 12:36

How many CODs are there gonna be?
canyon_Carver

2008-10-16, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Sweet. To Amazon I go... Any of you hosers up for a little AN death-match sometime in the next week or so? I know first hand Luca likes to put the smack down on fellow novans. He put me to shame the last time we played if I remember right.
Just list the server address you want to meet up...I have two kids that severely limit my freetime, but I will try to make a showing.

My Screenname is "BulletTrap"
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-10-16, 12:46

Quote:
As long as people keep buying the game, I'm sure a sequel will be made. COD4 is definitely an awesome shooter though.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-16, 12:49

Quote:
There have been a lot of them. Let's see...

Infinity Ward games (about the only good ones):
CoD (original)
CoD 2
CoD 4
CoD 6 (in development)

Others:
CoD: United Offensive (pretty good expansion pack to the original)
CoD: Finest Hour (crappy GameCube/Xbox/PS2 spinoff)
CoD: Roads to Victory (crappy PSP spinoff)
CoD 2: Big Red One (crappy GameCube/Xbox/PS2 spinoff)
CoD 3 (average 360/PS3/Wii spinoff)
CoD 4: Modern Warfare for DS (surprisingly good miniaturized version of the game; pretty much totally different from the full-sized CoD 4)
CoD: World at War (upcoming crappy 360/PS3/Wii spinoff)

So the answer is so far there are three Infinity Ward-developed games, with a fourth in development, and six non-IW-developed games, with a seventh close to release.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-10-16, 12:51

I'd be up for it, but I play on my PS3. I like slouching on my couch to play videogames.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-16, 13:00

Bummer. I don't think the console server players are ever mixed with PC and Mac players, at least not AFAIK....
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-10-16, 13:04

Quote:
Bummer. I don't think the console server players are ever mixed with PC and Mac players, at least not AFAIK....
XBox Live is a closed network. Otherwise all the PC shooter players using keyboard + mouse would own every 360 player.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-16, 13:11

Luckily I have both the PC version and the 360 version. So if anyone wants to party up on Live, I'm up for it, but there might be more people with the PC/Mac version.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-10-16, 13:50

I've got the PC version - I'd love to smoke some of you bastards . As long as it's in the evening, I'm in!

I forget my name... it might just be SwoX, or it's Cuddles or CuddlesX.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-16, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
XBox Live is a closed network. Otherwise all the PC shooter players using keyboard + mouse would own every 360 player.
You say that like it's a bad thing... This is what I always tell my nephews. "If I had a keyboard and mouse plugged into this thing, I'd destroy you." I hate those hand controllers and all the retarded button combos you have to remember, not to mention the goofy joystick stubs.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-16, 15:15

Quote:
You say that like it's a bad thing... This is what I always tell my nephews. "If I had a keyboard and mouse plugged into this thing, I'd destroy you." I hate those hand controllers and all the retarded button combos you have to remember, not to mention the goofy joystick stubs.
I'm not bad at it actually. Once you've gotten used to the controls and remember that everyone else has to put up with them as well, it works pretty well. Probably the biggest tip when using a controller is to remember that in order to aim precisely, it helps to use the left stick instead of the right one. The right stick leads to huge movements. Strafing with the left stick, though, gives you much more precise movement of the crosshairs.

Biggest problem with the console version is too much grenade spam. For whatever reason there seems to be more than in the PC version. On the other hand, there's less bunny hopping on the console version.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-16, 22:17

The Call hath been ordered. I'll see you target dummies online sometime next week hopefully.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-25, 13:46

Anybody up for a little COD smackitude? I am so bad at this game you will be racking up the kills in no time. I think the new Apple Ext. keyboards make gaming tougher maybe. The layout of the keys is somehow different. Seems harder to react quickly vs. the old keyboard.

Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-10-29, 13:54

We have a server for this? I've got the PC and Xbox version but it looks like the PC/Mac version is the way to go. Let me know and lets go I've got a hankerin for some AN kill time.

And All That Could Have Been
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-29, 14:54

I'm going to be busy with Dead Space and Fallout 3 for a while, but I guess we could get something going with CoD 4.

Why not plan a time? That would work better than just posting and hoping someone notices.

I am generally busy on Wednesday evenings. Would a Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday evening work? Tomorrow night, perhaps, or maybe next Monday?
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-10-29, 15:01

Thursdays around 8:00 central on is bad. Other than that should be good (as long as its a week days weekends are very very iffy).
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-10-29, 16:58

I'm up for some CoD next week, once mid-terms are done. Any day or time after next Wednesday afternoon is good for me.

Just a warning though - I rule @ video games. And I'm deadly with a noobtube.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-29, 17:44

We might have to schedule a time when not everyone can make it then. Swox can't make it early in the week, Argento can't make it on Thursday, and I can't make it on Wednesday.

We can still set something up even if it doesn't include everyone, but it looks like we'll have to postpone to the week after if we want everyone to participate at once.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-11-01, 17:39

I'm up for weekend smack-downs... whatever you guys decide, just PM me.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-11-01, 23:41

Next weekend is good for me.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-11-08, 18:25

I'm available today and tomorrow - anyone want to taste the wrath of my noobtube?