AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Getting Sick

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Getting Sick
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Wrao
Yarp

2007-02-19, 14:58

I have gotten sick 3 or 4 times in the past 3 or 4 months. This is highly irregular. Typically, I'm the type that simply "doesn't get sick". For good reason. My diet is healthy and complete, I work-out regularly, I sleep adequately and I don't have a lot of stress in my life. By all accounts, I shouldn't be getting sick. Yet, I have gotten sick a few times in the past few months, and right now I feel like I am getting sick again.

I am beginning to suspect something in my environment, my mattress maybe, since my mattress was kind of, taken out of a dusty garage. I cleaned it off pretty well before using it, disinfected it and such, it seemed to be alright, I don't know what could have changed between now and then.

Or maybe it's Washington in general. The greater humidity and persistent cold weather. I grew up in Southern California, where 40ºF and cloudy was practically a state emergency. I have great cold tolerance despite that, but suffice to say, The dark north may very well be contributing to this.

Or maybe it is actually going to the gym as regularly as I do. I typically wiped down the equipment before and after use, and I try to wash my hands at least after as well. I'm pretty good about it, but sometimes I'll miss one step or another.

I'm not sure. It is annoying. I've had a wicked cough develop over the past two days, and now I feel low on energy and my throat is sore. I've effectively gone from guy who never gets sick to a sick dog who has gotten sick multiple times in recent memory.

cough
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-02-19, 15:00

I am now sick for the third time since October.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-19, 15:03

Environment makes a big difference. When I go to my mom's it becomes unbearable after about three days. The dust level and dogs just really attack my system. Try opening up your room and ventilating it (the whole house if you can get away with it). This really helps to clear things out.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-02-19, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
I am now sick for the third time since October.

That's something else entirely. It does seem as though many of my peers have been getting sick, either multiple times, or around the same time. In fact, now that I think about it, a couple of my friends have gotten sick as many times as I have in the same time scale. All healthy, athletic people with good diets. What gives.

Meanwhile, my slobbish roommate who has the worst diet, and who sits around smoking all day, hasn't gotten sick at all. bah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Environment makes a big difference. When I go to my mom's it becomes unbearable after about three days. The dust level and dogs just really attack my system. Try opening up your room and ventilating it (the whole house if you can get away with it). This really helps to clear things out.
I did do this the other day(it was a really nice day, I had to) but whatever bit me has bit me. My experience with environment, however, is more that... it takes a couple days(or more if it is a more extreme change) to acclimate yourself, but then you're set. I've been living in WA since Sept, I would like to think I'm 'used to it' by now.

Last edited by Wrao : 2007-02-19 at 15:05. Reason: Posts merged
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-19, 15:12

Wrao, it may very well be that mattress thing. Along with those other factors (maybe there's someone at the gym you're getting serious cooties from if you forget to wipe stuff down or wash your hands).

You sound like you're doing all the right things (diet, exercise, sleep, low stress)...it is strange you keep getting sick.

I'd look to those outside factors a bit harder.

A bad cough is no fun. Get looked at if it persists.

I've had two fairly major - but quick - colds since Thanksgiving. But usually around February or March is when I'll spend 3-5 days being full-blown sick: fever, puking, can't eat, can't sit up or stand straight, weak as can be, chills, shaking, lose weight, lose color, etc. The works.

Hasn't happened so far this year, knock on wood...but I know right when it does: weird tickle in the back of my throat in a spot that I recognize. Sure enough, within a day or two, I'm screwed and flat on my back for days.

I hope I get lucky this year!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-02-19, 15:22

Maybe its time to see the Todd?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-02-19, 15:33

Yeah, the mattress (and pillow, if it isn't new) could be *chock full* of dust-mite excreta, which you'll be breathing in all night long.

Honestly, you'd be better off buying an air mattress that's new and clean. One of those Aero Bed things.

And get a brand new pillow. 'Before' you use it, buy a zippered pillow cover to encase the new pillow before you put a pillow case on it.

Then, make sure you wash your sheets and pillow cases once a week using 'real' bleach in the washing machine.

The very first second that you feel like you're coming down with something, take two echinacea capsules. Then take two later in the day, and two caps twice the second day. This should ward off the cold completely.

Honestly, Wrao, I haven't had a cold or the flu in six or seven years since someone told me about echinacea. I used to get horrible colds that would devastate my health for two solid weeks each time, and I'd get at least two colds per year.

Just think how ecstatic I am to have had 'none' in all this time. But no one ever believes me about echinacea. Oh well.

If you can't get rid of that mattress for a while, go online to see if you can find a high quality anti-allergen mattress cover and then order it via UPS delivery. It's not always easy to find such specialty items at regular stores. I think I remember from a past thread that Brad has a link for these anti-allergen bed linens. Hope he reads this thread.

But yes, I definitely 'would' be concerned about your suddenly coming down with constant colds. I think it's most likely the mattress. Probably has 20 pounds worth of dust-mite waste in it. Urgh. *shiver*

Also, if you're breathing in your roommate's smoke, that's not helping any.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-19, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I did do this the other day(it was a really nice day, I had to) but whatever bit me has bit me. My experience with environment, however, is more that... it takes a couple days(or more if it is a more extreme change) to acclimate yourself, but then you're set. I've been living in WA since Sept, I would like to think I'm 'used to it' by now.
I'm not so sure it would really happen that fast. It took my wife years to get used to Virginia after spending the last 20 in Orlando. It is a totally different environment from Orlando to Virginia and the same for SoCal and WA.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-02-19, 16:14

Apparently two of my roommates are feeling a little under the weather as well. Sore throats, maybe some low energy. The same two roommates that were sick with me last time. One of them suspects the garage, which has gotten pretty nasty since earlier this year.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2007-02-19, 18:26

Well there has been a nasty bout of the flu making its way around Seattle in the past couple months...a bunch of people in my dorm have gotten sick, along with a few of my brother's friends and so on. Perhaps it's cross-pollinating with Olympia?

I agree that the difference in climate may also be a factor here. From what I've seen, even in the middle of winter SoCal is still around 50-60º F, which I can't really imagine anyone getting the cold in. Or maybe I'm just too used to only getting sick when it's 30º, rainy, and cloudy.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-02-19, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Yeah, the mattress (and pillow, if it isn't new) could be *chock full* of dust-mite excreta, which you'll be breathing in all night long.
Without a doubt. The average bed has an infestation of 2 million dust mites. No amount of cleaning will get rid of them permanently. The best solution is to get...

Quote:
...a high quality anti-allergen mattress cover and then order it via UPS delivery. It's not always easy to find such specialty items at regular stores.
Yup. We ordered ours online, but I don't recall where. They are expensive, costing roughly $100-200 a set depending on the size of your bed, but it is a worthy investment for your health.

Quote:
And get a brand new pillow. 'Before' you use it, buy a zippered pillow cover to encase the new pillow before you put a pillow case on it.
A regular zippered pillow cover won't do much good, though. As with the mattress, you really should specifically get dust mite proof pillow casings.

Quote:
Then, make sure you wash your sheets and pillow cases once a week using 'real' bleach in the washing machine.
*nod*

Don't forget that you can and should wash the pillows themselves too. I'm amazed at how many people don't seem to realize this.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-02-19, 22:00

I just spin my pillows around in the dryer for a few minutes.

Then again, I'm sick for the third time since October...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-02-19, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
I just spin my pillows around in the dryer for a few minutes.
Yeah, that's not going to do anything except make them feel a little warm for a few minutes. Most of that filth (dead skin, live dust mites, dead dust mites, dust mite excrement, and other nasties) is still in your pillow.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-02-19, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Without a doubt. The average bed has an infestation of 2 million dust mites. No amount of cleaning will get rid of them permanently. The best solution is to get...

Yup. We ordered ours online, but I don't recall where. They are expensive, costing roughly $100-200 a set depending on the size of your bed, but it is a worthy investment for your health.

A regular zippered pillow cover won't do much good, though. As with the mattress, you really should specifically get dust mite proof pillow casings.

*nod*

Don't forget that you can and should wash the pillows themselves too. I'm amazed at how many people don't seem to realize this.

I have heard that old pillows are heavier than new pillows on account of the billions of dead mite corpses that accumulate over time. But I always just assumed that was a myth.

I dislike that mites have been suggested twice so far, when I expressed my symptoms to a friend of mine, he said the same thing, mites. I do not know how to deal with mites. Even if I can't kill them all, what are some more immediate steps I can take to at least somewhat alleviate the problem(as in, steps that don't require all new mattress, mattress covers and such) ?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-02-19, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I do not know how to deal with mites. Even if I can't kill them all, what are some more immediate steps I can take to at least somewhat alleviate the problem(as in, steps that don't require all new mattress, mattress covers and such) ?
Really, the only solutions are:

1. Buy new mattress and pillows, but that only lasts until the new ones become infested.
2. Seal your mattress and pillows properly and wash everything regularly.

There are some chemical solutions that claim to kill dust mites in the mattress, but most don't work very well and it's only a very temporary fix anyhow. You can wash your beddings in very hot water (130°F+) with bleach to kill them, but the mites living in the mattress itself will still be waiting for you.

Oh, and don't keep carpet in your house, if you have a choice. Dust mites cling deep in the fibers of carpet, too.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-19, 22:34

Man, after reading this thread and the recent postings by Brad and Windswept I couldn't help but look up a little more.

Now I don't even want to crawl into my own bed. It's 11 years old (needing to be replaced anyway) and I know it must be swarming with the little things. Crap, I have air purifiers in my place, but never thought of the mattress. Thanks guys, now I'll have mitemares.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-02-20, 09:14

It's not the mites that are the problem, it's mite excrement that's the problem. Of course, without mites you wouldn't have the crap that goes along with them...
¡Damned!

2007-02-20, 18:05

My ex is a complete clean freak and seems to always be sick from some damn thing or another. This week it's an earache. Honestly, I don't know how she stands it. I'd go and get my blood cleaned or something if I was sick that often.

Myself, I hardly ever get sick. I just stick to fucking myself up physically. Last week I found that fine line of how fast you have to go to total a Jeep in a snowbank yet still be going slow enough to where the seatbelt doesn't catch and the airbags don't go off. End result was me making out with the steering wheel in a pool of blood. Pretty sweet.

So it goes.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-02-20, 18:31

Here in the lovely Kansas air I feel great!

People around me are dropping like flies from some virus though

It is times like these that I am glad that I can't get sick.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-09-09, 17:04

*bump*

I am so frickin' sick right now. I have a cough that virtually cripples me - I've pulled a bunch of muscles it's that violent, and it's wearing me out. I haven't slept for a few days and the cough actually takes a hell of a lot of energy to "perform". I've had this cough for three weeks, but in the last three days, it's become much, much worse.

The doctors say that it's Asthma, no infection to be found, but the ventolin doesn't seem to have any effect. I think I'm going to have to go back - except, of course, I'm working temporarily in a city some considerable distance from my real GP.

Although I've had to physically excuse myself from work, it's a job just to make sure everything is covered properly, especially as my assistant is on annual leave.

I dunno why I'm telling you all this, really. It's basically all I can think about.

*coughing fit*

Fuck illness.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-09-09, 23:08

This one time, I was really sick with a crippling cough. I went to a clinic and the doctor said I had asthma and prescribed me some ventolin. The cough stuck around so I finally went to my GP and as it turns out I had a collapsed lung. Not saying you do, just saying the sometimes doctors are really wrong when it comes to respiratory stuff.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-09-10, 02:07

Ever since moving back to California, I have not been at all sick, nor have I even been coughing... at all really.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-09-20, 12:24

Well, two weeks later, and they finally diagnose it as Tonsillitis. Because they didn't find anything in my chest, it didn't occur to them until now to look in my throat.

So, I'm off work again, and feel like death. Seriously, I hate being ill.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-09-20, 12:55

I got hit with something last thursday. My nose finally cleared up two days ago, but I always have a residual cough for about a week. I taught myself a different way to cough a long time ago that doesn't hurt the throat quite as much, but it produces a high pitch squeak that gets old fast. My lungs hurt now from coughing all night, but my throat is a good 75%.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-09-20, 13:19

I just got hit with a cold going around up here in charlottesville... damn cold snap and confined living spaces and communal bathrooms. Started off as a sore throat and has moved on to stuffy nose. Just bought some airborne and zicam. I've got two weeks before I go to visit my girlfriend to knock this damn thing out.

on another note... since moving off to college my eyes have been constantly at least a little bloodshot with it worsening considerably at night. anyone know of any remedies? I've never had allergy problems of any kind and my sleep/stress levels are pretty similar to that of high school so I don't think either of those are the issue (although they could contribute).
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-09-20, 13:28

Yes. I think I am getting sick too. I think that next tuesday I will have to take a sick day and not go to class. Oh no.
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-09-20, 13:31

Im in LA(cali) and i am getting though a quite mild cold at the moment. I feel like shit, but i am still functioning, just a bit more bitchy light cough, and a mild headache but that is about it. to keep most away i am using claritin-d (it works wonders) aspirin, and mucinex i love modern meds sometimes
Partial
Stallion

2007-09-20, 13:47

I'm getting over a cold. All 5 of my roomates and I have the same thing. Nasty.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-09-20, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Yes. I think I am getting sick too. I think that next tuesday I will have to take a sick day and not go to class. Oh no.
So you and Windowsrookie are gonna duke it out? Or are you gonna Finish The Fight together.

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-09-20, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
since moving off to college my eyes have been constantly at least a little bloodshot with it worsening considerably at night. anyone know of any remedies?
easy one. http://www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=332 My dad has the same thing and he uses this sort of stuff all the time.