Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's It Gonna Take?
Page 6 of 7 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  Next Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2019-07-15, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I've been following that on Twitter and was wondering if you actually moved there permanently.

Good luck with the move.
TBD. Gotta go back in November for my best friend's wedding and I'll decide then if I'm returning.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-10-18, 09:27

I don't feel the titular question has been adequately answered.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-11-02, 00:05

I think the answer lies somewhere between a TARDIS and a tricked out DeLorean.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-02, 11:47

Either way, keep a close eye on the family jewels. It's about to get weird!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-06, 13:46

Been a few months since the last post in this thread, and we are still here. COVID-19 has garnered a lot of attention, and a few folks have popped in to tell us they're alive. So clearly people still care, and I'm glad about that.

Anyway, just a quick note to keep this topic relevant.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-01, 18:59

Serious question...who was the last legit new member of AN (not a bot, not a shithead spammer, etc.)? How long has it been since someone signed up here and was legitimately joining to talk about Apple and stuff, actually stuck around, contributed/participated, etc.? Months? Years? A decade?

I ask because all I've seen, for as long as I can remember, are spammer types. Has the joint settled into its longtime, 2-3 dozen "real" members, and that's just who it is/who it's gonna be? Not complaining at all, just curious of any non-spammers sign up at this point? I can't recall any.

It seems the place is pretty much down to me, Ken, drew, turtle, 709, Ryan, chucker, Yontsey, Frank777, PB PM, Dr. Bobsky, Bryson, Dave, kieren, Mac+, thegeriatric, RowdyScot, Capella, Matsu, murbot and a few others I just can't recall at the moment. But I think it's less than 25 active members.

I sometimes think/wonder about Robo, Eugene, Alcimedes, Windswept, Goldfrapp, Kickaha, thegelding, torifle and others.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-01, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Serious question...who was the last legit new member of AN (not a bot, not a shithead spammer, etc.)? How long has it been since someone signed up here and was legitimately joining to talk about Apple and stuff, actually stuck around, contributed/participated, etc.? Months? Years? A decade?

I ask because all I've seen, for as long as I can remember, are spammer types. Has the joint settled into its longtime, 2-3 dozen "real" members, and that's just who it is/who it's gonna be? Not complaining at all, just curious of any non-spammers sign up at this point? I can't recall any.
Brad could probably run a script and find out, but I can tell you from the Members List that it's been a very long time indeed!

Quote:
It seems the place is pretty much down to me, Ken, drew, turtle, 709, Ryan, chucker, Yontsey, Frank777, PB PM, Dr. Bobsky, Bryson, Dave, kieren, Mac+, thegeriatric, RowdyScot, Capella, Matsu, murbot and a few others I just can't recall at the moment. But I think it's less than 25 active members.
Yep, that's about it.

Quote:
I sometimes think/wonder about Robo, Eugene, Alcimedes, Windswept, Goldfrapp, Kickaha, thegelding, torifle and others.
Robo was around for a few posts a couple years ago. Alcimedes pops in around domain renewal time every year. Windswept showed up last September for a single post. Goldfrapp is off making a name for herself, but stopped by a couple years ago. Kickaha has been around quite a bit, lately, but I know he took a couple years off to break stuff. Torifile stopped by last August. Those others? It's been a long time.

Here's to the die-hards!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-12-01, 20:25

Wyatt is still kicking around on Twitter, but not sure if he checks in here very often.

There are definitely way fewer numbers than there have been in the past, but I feel like a few (Hi Paul!) have come back into the fold recently.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-01, 20:29

I took a few years off a while back. I wasn't here during the Last Jedi release, which would've been in the December 2017 timeframe and, IMO, is why that one Star Wars-related thread is so damn small/short. Had I been here then, it's easily 18-32 pages, most of them mine.

I like it here. Feels like buddies and people I "know".
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-12-01, 20:59

Quote:
Same.

I like the “virtual” company and quality of discussion. I feel similarly about “knowing” people here, too… but you’d hope so after 17 years or thereabouts!

Thank goodness there’s still a few of us around.
Here’s to the ‘nova holdouts/OGs!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-01, 22:49

Yep. August 2004 for me, and one of the "young ones".
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-01, 23:44

This sprig should probably be made into its own thread. Reminder that we have very rough migration plan in place should this place ever fall. We have a subreddit (have not checked on it in years) and some of us are connected on Twitter.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-01, 23:46

Quote:
Yes. Even though I took a few years off (2-4), I didn't feel lost when I came back. It's fun to nerd out when new stuff comes along, even if everything is not what we want/need.

Last edited by PB PM : 2021-12-02 at 00:55.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-02, 00:21

I'll be honest, I never thought we'd get Paul back.

Anytime anyone else sails in to say howdy is a pleasant surprise.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-12-02, 02:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
This sprig should probably be made into its own thread. Reminder that we have very rough migration plan in place should this place ever fall. We have a subreddit (have not checked on it in years) and some of us are connected on Twitter.

Yes! Great idea Drew - a thread of gratitude for people we’ve never met but feel we know! ❤️👍

Plus, you know… contingency details if this all goes kaput.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-02, 13:09

Since we were having this conversation a few years ago I went ahead and merged the posts with the original thread.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-12-02 at 13:20.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-02, 13:14

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but we really lost the medium of discussion boards somewhere in the shuffle.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-02, 13:19

I think most want fire and forget that they can have with short attention topics via Facebook and Twitter. I've not seen any real ongoing conversations. Heck, even Reddit isn't really geared for it with the original post having everything be a "comment" rather than conversation.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-02, 13:23

It takes far less brain power to make a quick comment and get on to the next cat video than it takes to hold meaningful discussions of complex matters. This is one of the very few places where I feel like that still happens.

And that's a good thing.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-02, 13:23

Can I just blame it on Twitter, like I do everything else?

I do think a lot of stuff has moved to "social media", for better or worse. We can see who can out-Woke™/wingnut each other on Twitter, or we can compare camel toe selfies on Instagram.

I still visit a couple of guitar-related message forums, but others I used to go to/participate in (movies, woodworking, Batman , etc.) folded ages ago. Places like this - threaded forums? - don't seem to be as prevalent as they once were. Everyone has just moved to Twitter and others, I guess.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-02, 13:33

Forums are a better format for so many things. Mrs T was really into them for a while for essential oils and their usage. Not because it was a fad, but thee is real medicinal uses for them but there are also a ton of cautions and issues that you need to be aware of. Hashing that out in a format like Twitter or Facebook just doesn't work. You need to be able to go back to old thread where it has already been hashed out to regain the Information.

I'm no fan of the short-form barfing that is so prevalent in todays internet.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-02, 13:33

For my whiskey blog I now have Twitter, Instagram, FaceBook, Pinterest, and LinkedIn. Once I get them all working together I'll start a YouTube channel.

But AN is still "home".

_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-12-03, 04:18

This place has always been too insular where cults of personality have reigned.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-03, 10:43

That describes practically every group I have participated in.

It's tough for some people to accept that circles like that develop, but they're natural human group formations. I think we all fall in and out of circles during our lives.

Sometimes I feel like an outsider, and am better able to criticize folks who are inside the circle.

Sometimes I'm inside the circle and unable to see problems.

There have been many chapters in the book of AppleNova which, it could be argued, was borne out of a clash of cults of personality over at AppleInsider.

When I joined AI back in 1998 it was a fabulous adventure, and I had many preconceptions about people and politics that were handed down to me by my parents and the culture in which I was raised.

I knew precious little about the experiences of people who were not like me. I trusted the narratives of conservative politics well ahead of anything else.

Over the years the smartest people that I met on the boards challenged my approaches in myriad ways; the less confrontational discussions left me to go out and observe the world, and to reconsider things based on new perspectives.

As a result I have made a move towards becoming more liberal in my middle age, something that conventional wisdom says is less common.

The language used on the boards here these days is less parsed than what we would find in more public forums. There is less sensitivity to issues that drive today's inclusive cultural shifts and I can understand how that might make AN less attractive to some people.

Sometimes I wince at comments posted here because they are raw and don't hedge against the criticisms that would happen on larger platforms.

Being from the same generation and most likely same ethnic and socioeconomic strata as many of the most active members, I understand the spirit in which the comments are made. We are friends here, dispensing with social politeness and employing frank language that conveys what is likely a widely shared belief (like, this person in a news story is an asshole, or whatever) by those of us with those shared experiences (white, straight/cis, male, judeo-christian, conservative backgrounds).

It would be interesting to know why various members departed the forums. I suspect that it's almost always that life became all-consuming and their interests changed over time.

But, like my old church, there's the possibility that a cult of personality was enough to drive them away. Cliques happen so easily that you might not even know you're in one.

And then some people just want to complain.

It takes all kinds, to make a world.

chucker

2021-12-03, 10:55

Quote:
Cliques happen so easily that you might not even know you're in one.
Definitely. Everything's a bubble.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 12:20

Y’all sho know how to sweet-talk a fella…

Being serious for 20 seconds, while some here might want to believe this or that mindset/tone drove others away to Woker™ pastures, look at who's still left. This place is hardly a den of anything insidious or "wing-y". In fact, as message boards go, it's pretty wide-ranging...way the hell more than others I've been on, where it was just hardcore one way or the other (and I couldn't stay for either reason, frankly).

I see 2-3 people I'd probably call conservative (and, no...that's not a bad word either), and then a couple of folks like me who kinda float in the middle...I certainly lean right-of-center on matters of crime, national security, economics, etc. but I'd be deemed quite liberal in my stances on all the other things people use to checkbox one's bonafides by...gay marriage and all that kind of stuff; fact is I simply don't care and it's really nobody's business/interest, government or otherwise; which probably puts me in more of a libertarian(?) camp on many things? I don't know. I'm definitely not full-tilt "progressive" or Left-of-center across the board, but lots here are. The majority, even, I'd say.

Great, I don't care. Some of my favorite folks here - thegelding, torifile, Robo, etc. - I probably had zero in common with, politically. I still thought/think the world of them. I don't live and die by that stuff like too many do. I don't have a litmus test for "who I'll like", based on how they vote or which cable news network they tug it to.

And they have have a voice and are every bit as vocal and run with a thread as anyone else. Nobody here is cowering in a corner, afraid to speak their mind or offer their opinion. For the most part, people stay civil and try to back up their thoughts/beliefs, but it rarely gets outright nasty and cruel.

I left here for a while a few years ago because, yes indeed, one lone individual was lousing it up, floor to ceiling, and just making everything miserable; he's no longer here, and the place is better for it in every way. Has anyone here asked if THAT individual was the reason some left? I bet he was; he was the reason I left, and I've got a strong stomach and I punch back. Because he got into, constantly, with everyone here. Everyone. When you manage to piss off a group as disparate as Eugene, Robo and me, then you're quite special.

If someone wants to create an official "where I stand" poll, have at it. I'll throw in...I'll just check whatever matches closest to what I said above.

I think people have glommed onto Twitter, I think some just have significant others and/or families that maybe they didn't a decade ago. And, as we've discussed elsewhere (M1 notwithstanding), Apple just isn't the outfit they were 10-15 years, the perpetual, scrappy underdog taking it the rest; there haven't been too many things worth getting wound up about over the past 5-10 years...predictable, pedestrian yearly iPhone updates, random iPhone SE stuff that nobody but me cares about , Jony Ive putting his "stamp" all over a bunch of products and making them worse/less-than in the process, etc.

But all this AS/M1 stuff may be the thing that gets the remaining people here really excited. I know I've posted more about Macs in the past 10 or so months than I have in quite some time. It's a cool, bright future for the platform and, Toledoans aside, this may be a place to follow/discuss all that.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-03 at 13:37.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-03, 13:06

Mom still isn't out of the woods and I got all introspective this morning.

What brought you back to the fold, Paul?

The place wasn't the same without you.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 13:25

a) I missed it, b) I just pick-and-chose where/who I'd interact with and c) I realized I was depriving everyone of this staggering insight on various matters.

I'm KIDDING on "c". It was a and b. Just being better/smarter about threads I played in, and sidestepping a few that I knew nothing good would come from my participation/involvement.

I failed miserably in that a while back and nearly got in trouble (I've never gotten a PM from a mod about my behavior, but I richly deserved it), and I want to apologize to everyone who saw what I wrote. Including the person I wrote it to; I temporarily lost my cool and lashed out, and it was jerky of me.

It's that time of year, I harbor no meanness or beefs to anyone currently here.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-03, 15:12

Quote:
... and c) I realized I was depriving everyone of this staggering insight on various matters.

I have taken long breaks as well, but maybe not as long.

I'm glad you're back, I'm glad that there are still conversations here, and it is always neat when somebody comes back for a reunion.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-12-03, 18:36

Quote:
The language used on the boards here these days is less parsed than what we would find in more public forums. There is less sensitivity to issues that drive today's inclusive cultural shifts and I can understand how that might make AN less attractive to some people.

Sometimes I wince at comments posted here because they are raw and don't hedge against the criticisms that would happen on larger platforms.

Being from the same generation and most likely same ethnic and socioeconomic strata as many of the most active members, I understand the spirit in which the comments are made. We are friends here, dispensing with social politeness and employing frank language that conveys what is likely a widely shared belief (like, this person in a news story is an asshole, or whatever) by those of us with those shared experiences (white, straight/cis, male, judeo-christian, conservative backgrounds).

It would be interesting to know why various members departed the forums. I suspect that it's almost always that life became all-consuming and their interests changed over time.
Speaking as someone who's drifted into commenting less here over time:

- Graduating college and getting a full-time job took a bunch of my time
- So did winding up in multiple new social circles
- I found I missed people and liked the feeling of recognizing names I've known over a decade
- What you say above about lack of cultural sensitivity in commons has been something I've noted and sometimes drives me out for some time when I see something that's disparaging of people like me. It can hurt like a bitch to see broad dismissal of certain groups of people or of certain movements slagged off as 'stupid youth these days' or 'wokeception' or worse. Makes me feel unwelcomed, so I log off for a bit.

I've settled into "read daily, post for the big fun stuff like Apple events or Star Wars threads", and stay out of some other zones - but then it's also really shitty when certain attitudes fill the SW thread, and I can either decide to push back or I can sigh and just not reply.

That said for all of the times I feel mildly unwelcome after comments, none of you have ever completely kicked me out of the AN community. I might get stung by comments, but I think I could still sit down and have a beer with most of you even when we disagree on many important things. Contrast that to my mother, who's refusing to talk to me until I "turn back into being the girl she birthed", and it could be a lot worse.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder