Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Ah, dammit, I missed the tour bus!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Ah, dammit, I missed the tour bus!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-09, 12:28

We got a new apple just yesterday. Since I am dreadfully outdated (I was on 7.5 or something when I last had a mac), the setup was breeze but missing one thing I always saw on Windows; a tour....

I looked around but could only find a PDF file "Welcome to Tiger" which wasn't all that hot.

So please first forgive my utter stupidity, then please direct me to where I can get a tour so I can get up to the speed on likes of Expose, Dashboard, and other "it just works" stuff...

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-09, 12:40

Well, you could start with the Apple site. I'd start with the overview section and move on from there.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-09, 13:19

Almost same as the PDF file I mentioned above.

What I'm talking is something like a movie or a tutorial; something like that.

Com'on, Windows push those annoying tours everytime I upgrade/install a copy. However, Tiger actually has me curious so I'm wanting to take a tour, only there's not any?

One of my biggest annoyance is doing something the long, hard way while remaining woefully igornant that a F9 key does the same thing. WTF?

Hope that makes sense...
Wraven

2005-06-09, 13:55

There are MANY quicktime tutorials of Tiger under the Mac OSX tab on the Apple web site.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-09, 13:57

As Wraven said there are quite a few quicktime tutorials under the link I provided. Now shoo, off with you. Go learn.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-09, 14:01

You might actually consider getting an OS X book. I got my dad the OS X Missing Manual last year for his birthday, and he loves it.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-09, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
You might actually consider getting an OS X book. I got my dad the OS X Missing Manual last year for his birthday, and he loves it.
The 'Missing Manual' series is great and so are the O'Reilly books.

Actually, there was a seminar video that was available to new Tiger users at launch. I don't have the link anymore, but I think it was limited access somehow. I bet Brad figured out how to download and archive it though.

"Oh, Brad!"

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-09, 16:09

Try this:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101

It's not a video tour, but I'd say it's the next best thing.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-09, 16:42

Thanks for all replies, even though I now feel like an idiot for not seeing the links to QT first time I went to OS X page.

That said, I had to admit I find it a bit *odd* there wasn't any on the install CD itself. It's little ironic, as I absolutely hated the tours on Windoze cds and always rejected it (plus turning the windows off for next startup ) but after seeing how Tiger set up the iMac soooo smoothly, I had to learn more.

Heck, just a standard dialog box, "Would you like to learn more about Tiger? (Yes, please!) (No, thank you!)" would be just fine.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-06-12, 13:48

A'ight, here's to schooling you on the very basics with an impromptu user's guide, concentrating on what's unique to OS X. I'll start us off with the first chapter.

Chapter 1. Your Dock, window basics
You don't have a start menu, instead you have a dock. To launch a program, click its icon in the dock. Your dock is only a partial list. To see everything, click the first icon, called finder (equivalent of explorer), then click "applications". To customize your dock, you can drag icons from the applications folder into the dock, or drag them around in the dock to rearrange. To remove something, simply drag it off the dock, and it will disappear in a puff of steam. If you minimize something (the yellow button in the top corner), it goes to the dock (try holding shift while minimizing for a cool effect). Un-minimize by clicking on it in the dock. At the end of the dock is the trash can, this is pretty basic stuff. To turn on the incredibly cool magnification effect, go to the Apple menu (top of the screen), go to dock, and turn magnification on. You can also turn on hiding, much like auto-hide in windows, and you can move the dock to the sides of the screen (I prefer the right). If a program is running, a small triangle will appear under its dock icon. to quit a program, right-click on its dock icon, and hit "quit". If you just want to close the window (there is a distinction), poke the red button in the window's top corner. The green one "zooms" a window to fit its contents, like a smarter version of windows' maximize. To resize a window, drag its bottom-right corner. Exposé is activated by hitting F9. You'll also be using F10 (shows only application-specific windows), and F11 (shows your desktop, equivalent of windows' window-D command). All your user-specific stuff (documents, pictures, music, etc.) is in your home folder, something like my documents. This is opened by default when you click the finder icon.

Who wants to make chapter 2? Maybe this could be made a sticky...

You ask me for a hamburger.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-12, 14:28

Banana, on 10.0-10.3, there was a URL item in the Dock by default at install (an @ on a spring looking thing - don't look at me, I didn't design it, no I don't know what the hell it's supposed to be really). Clicking that would open up the web page in your browser, and the web page was a 'Welcome and Recent News' page for that OS release.

Is it not there anymore?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-13, 13:57

Kick, there is indeed such thingy you spoke of. That time, the iMac wasn't connected to internet cos I was trying to share with a loaner mac and didn't want to accidentally expose my ass while messing with the file sharing.

That said, it is a bit odd that it wasn't on Install CD (though it does makes sense to have links so there's latest news but still).

ABB, great idea. Putting it in Feedback.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-06-13, 14:33

Back in the early days (From the Mac SE and beyond), there was a built-in tour...

Looks like Eric did some later Tutorials too.

I used to have a copy of the old Macintosh Basics Tour pictured above for utter newbies (pre-OSX).

As for impromptu user/switcher guides, google finds plenty from educational sources...
some older some younger
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-06-13, 15:18

i remember that little dood. he taught me all about macs back on my quadra. i was really bored that day.