User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Aussie woman must pay for $12,000 engagement ring she threw out. Yay!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Aussie woman must pay for $12,000 engagement ring she threw out. Yay!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-19, 14:47

Link

Yay! I'm glad she's going to have to pay for this ring. Engagement rings cost guys a fortune, and I think the ring should *always* be returned if the engagement is broken off.

The fact that she had the ring thrown in the garbage is just so arrogant, hateful, and self-centered. Women like that make me sick. Ugh. Grrrr.

I think it's completely unfair for the ring to be considered a *gift*. It was given as a symbol of the engagement, 'not' as an out and out 'present'. Definitely should be returned.

I imagine most/all of you guys would agree? Yes?

Apparently, however, the law about that varies from country to country.

Quote:
In Britain, the return of an engagement ring cannot be legally enforced unless there was an agreement to do so, as sometimes happens if it is an heirloom.

Most U.S. states presume the ring is a conditional gift and must be returned if the engagement is called off.

Irish law presumes that all engagement gifts are conditional on the marriage taking place. If it doesn’t, the gifts must be returned.

Canadian law says that whoever breaks off the engagement forfeits all claim to the ring.

South Africa classifies engagement rings as tokens of sincerity. If the couple part, the rings are returned.
Whoa! I'm surprised that British law hasn't been changed by now - after all these *centuries*.

Any other country have laws where the woman normally gets to keep the ring? Just wondering.

PS - I guess, according to Canadian law, in the case of that Jennifer Wilbanks person (Runaway Bride), if the *guy* finally decided in the end to call off arranging a new wedding, *she'd* get to keep the ring?

Do any of you know personally of any instances in which the girl kept the ring?
bender0069

2007-05-19, 16:23

I know quite a few girls who kept the ring. IMO if they guy calls off the wedding, the girl gets the ring. I guess I agree with Canadian law.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-19, 21:11

Most girls I know have given up the ring. Even the most expensive ones. Some of them weren't given the option and the ring was taken with force (not brutal, just shear strength.)

I'm of the persuasion the girl doesn't get to keep the ring, unless it was her family's to begin with, as is the case with my wife.

My ex-wife kept her ring and then pawned it or melted it down, I forgot which (not that I really care.)

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-05-20, 01:43

WHO THE HELL WOULD THROW A $6,000 PIECE OF JEWELLERY IN THE GARBAGE??? WTF!!!

But apart from that... she did offer it back and he said he didn't want it back, it was a gift. On those grounds I find the ruling slightly dubious... but I don't know all the facts of the case...
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-05-20, 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender0069 View Post
I know quite a few girls who kept the ring. IMO if they guy calls off the wedding, the girl gets the ring. I guess I agree with Canadian law.
What you mean if the guy calls off the wedding cos the girl has been having an affair?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-05-20, 05:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post

But apart from that... she did offer it back and he said he didn't want it back, it was a gift. On those grounds I find the ruling slightly dubious... but I don't know all the facts of the case...
Yeah, sounds to me like these people are both idiots, but like you said it's probable that we don't really know everything that's going on.
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2007-05-20, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
From the Article dude:

Quote:
A$15,500 (£6,000)

WTF.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-05-20, 06:00

Yeh, thats actually US$12,000. Ouchie!
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-05-20, 07:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmahe19 View Post
From the Article dude:

WTF.

I clearly wasn't reading it closely enough...

WTF
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-05-20, 10:10

Assuming it was actually thrown away, and it's not just a story told by the father in law or the bride to be in order to keep the ring.

I've seen a few cases where things that were lost or thrown away suddenly reappeared when the court orders the person to pay for it.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-20, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Yeh, thats actually US$12,000. Ouchie!
Oops!

Sorry about that.

I guess that 'pound sign' wasn't very clear on the sucky screen (and sucky browser - IE ) I was using. Either that, or I skimmed over it too fast to notice. Inexcusable, I know.

Title fixed to show accurate amount.
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-05-24, 10:04

I agree with British law, it is a gift. why once the engagement is broken off is it any different than two friends who give each other birthday gifts and then later fall out of friendship. though if i was ever engaged i would return the ring b/c it would make me sad to keep a reminder of the past. But as a matter of law it should not be any different than a regular gift.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-05-24, 10:45

Yeah, but still, a £ 6.000 ring?!

WTF didn't she sell it? She could still have lied and told him it went in the garbage anyways.

Tsk tsk... women*

*) My apologies to all the levelheaded ones.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-05-24, 13:39

Don't get me into engagement rings. Engagement rings use to be more popular in pearls or birthstones, but that changed with sill Da Beers. Plus these rings use to exist as a financial investment in the future marriage. Think of it as a down-payment. I suppose women were second class citizens pseudo property.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.