User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPhoto oops -

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhoto oops -
surjones

2010-05-07, 17:44

I did a back up of the entire Photo Folder, I had to do a Clean Install of SL, and when drug my Photo Folder back over, but stopped and said opps I better update first. So I stopped the transfer after a maybe a minute or so. Updated iPhone and opened back up - All looked normal and I forgot that I did not finish dragging back iPhoto would not open - I was like oh wait I need to update it. Everything looked great, which is why it slipped me, Album list looked fine, and pics all there, but when I was trying to show someone a pic I would hit the space bar and get a Circle with the character i. I just thought on import the link was lost and I would just have to re-link - oh well - So at that point I just deleted the the back ups files on the external. So here I stand.

I have a back up from Jan 2010 - so I didnt lose everything, But I have taken about 2 or 3 thousand photos with my iPhone since Jan 11th 2010, AND they are on my iPhone from my last sync. I added a couple new albums since Jan. 11th 2010 so, will it sync back? I am afraid to sync in fear to lose the photos all together.

Need your wisdom
thanks
¡Damned!

2010-05-07, 19:22

A heartfelt message to SuperJones:

Dude. I know that English isn't your first language, but I have to point out a few things. A) Run on sentences. You has them. Seriously, I get about two sentences in and then I'm "fuck it." B) The "Return" button is awesome. C) There is no C. Post a thought, hit return, etc.

I'd surely like to help you, but you make things difficult, truly.

So it goes.
surjones

2010-05-07, 21:07

709: Sounds like being a jerk is your first nature. Belittleing people on a site where we all come to hang out, have fun and get help doesn't seem right. Don't post if you can't help.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-05-07, 22:35

what did you do?

my interpretation of what you did doesn't make logical sense so I do not think it is right.

it might help if you make a list of things you did like so:

1) Backup of Photo Folder (from where? iPhone? iPhoto?)
2) Clean install of SL (why?)
3) Dragged Photo folder over (to what? from what?)
4) Said 'opps I better update first'
5) Updated iPhone
6) Ignored that you didn't finish the transfer (were you sleeping when you decided to cancel?)
7) IPhoto would not open (on your mac?)
8) Update iPhoto? (Wtf? Why didn't you update iPhoto immediately after you re-installed SL)
9) Showing pic (on what, computer? iPhone?) doesn't work
10) So now nothing is working and you delete the backups?

I simply don't know how to help you. Why not just manually transfer files from your iPhone (is that possible?)?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-05-08, 02:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjones View Post
709: Sounds like being a jerk is your first nature. Belittleing people on a site where we all come to hang out, have fun and get help doesn't seem right. Don't post if you can't help.
Make your posts more easily comprehensible, and we'll be more inclined to help.
surjones

2010-05-08, 03:01

Sorry it was not understandable - I was frazzled!

The long and short of it is:

I did a reformat of SL, and stopped the copying of my backup pictures folder to the clean install of SL. Then deleted the backup copy - so only 954mb out of 18 gigs transferred back over (All the thumbnails and albums are what made it to the clean install). Fortunately, I did have a old back up from January.

My iPhone has the photos I need that I lost in my deletion.
If I sync my iPhone will they go back into my iPhoto OR will it just sync and delete the photos on my iPhone? Im scare to sync -

1) Backed up my Pictures Folder (from internal HDD to EXTERNAL HDD)
2) Clean install of SL (clogged up system with trial versions)
3) Dragged Pictures folder over (from external hdd to INTERNAL hdd)
4) Said "opps I better update first"
5) Cancelled Transfer and Updated iPhoto
6) Forgot that I didn't finish the transfer (nearing when people where coming over to watch movies)
7) Next day deleted back up to conserve EXTERNAL hdd space.
8) Notice when I click spacebar in iPhoto to enlarge photo, I would get a "I graphic".
9) Remembered I did not finish transferring and the remembered I deleted the backup
10) Imported the backup from January 2010
11) Remembered all the photos I want (that I carelessly deleted) are still on my iPhone.

BTW the Title was suppose to be iPhoto opps, Spell check in the iPhone put iPhone. sorry.

hopefully this is a bit easier to understand. (BillyBobsky Thanks)

Last edited by surjones : 2010-05-08 at 03:15.
SpecMode
Wait what

2010-05-08, 03:07

Well, you *may* be able to use iPhoto to re-import the photos; you'll want to cancel your next iTunes sync right away just to make sure it doesn't automatically clear them out first.

One downside is that if you have any images that weren't actually taken on the phone (like, say, anything synced over from iPhoto), they'll likely have been "optimized" by iTunes prior to being synced over, so they'll be smaller and of lower quality than the originals. It's still better than no images at all, though.
¡Damned!

2010-05-08, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjones View Post

Um, if you'll check back on some of your many threads, you would find that I've been nothing but helpful. Seriously, if I know something, I'll help, just like every other person here and probably the reason you start so many threads here.

Maybe I'm a bit abrasive (true), but imo you could spend a little more time getting your shit together. Half of your threads start with incoherent nonsense, then after a handful of wtf replies you finally get to the heart of the problem.

It's annoying.

Plus (and this isn't a huge deal, but common courtesy) you never say Thank You for any help you get. Given that you really only come here to get your problems solved it'd be nice of you to actually thank someone, sometime.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-05-08, 21:17

Boosh!!

¡Damned!

2010-05-08, 21:18

I'm a big meanie.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-05-08, 21:26

surjones, in all honesty it really is a trial of my patience to read some of your posts. I think 709 is just trying to give you some advice that might make it easier to get some help around here.

Having said that, open itunes, go to preferences -> devices and check "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically." That should allow you to plug in your iPhone open up iPhoto and try to reimport your photos from the iPhone without worrying about losing your data.

-

Best of luck. Oh yeah, and for future reference here's a good backup strategy, it is called "3-2-1."

Ideally you want 3 copies of your data (including original), 2 different storage media (hard disk drive and cd), and at least 1 off site copy. (I feel least strongly about the "2" step, in case you're wondering about it.)

Additionally, make it a habit to backup every Saturday, then rotate your copies. For instance, this weekend make a backup, take it to work. Next weekend; make a backup and replace your work copy with the new one. Rinse and repeat.

-

p.s. Don't be shy to use the "preview" button before posting, and the "edit" button afterwards.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
surjones

2010-05-13, 13:49

Okay so I figured out an easy solution. I got most of my pics back. (the pics from the albums that I have synced to my iPhone.) I did lose all the videos I shot since those dont sync for some odd reason to the iPhone pics album. I went into the Photos and did a copy of 32 images at a time and then emailed them!

I appreciate all the help, and in the future I will try to make sure to breath and then type when I have an issue thanks again