User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 14
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-07, 14:47

Capella is way better at this than Ken (hint, hint).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-09-07, 15:29

I fear under-screen touch ID may never be coming.

I still hope they're working on that in some underground laboratory.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-09-07, 15:30

iPhone 14 vs. 13:
  • crash detection
  • front-camera autofocus
  • 20 instead of 19 hours video playback battery life
  • 5- instead of 4-core GPU, but still the A15
  • slightly lighter, but also slightly thicker
  • main camera: ƒ/1.5 aperture instead of /1.6
  • photonic engine
  • cinematic mode now does 4K at 30 fps instead of just 1080p
  • action mode (I think this is improved video optical image stabilization)
  • front camera: ƒ/1.9 aperture instead of /2.2
  • same cinematic mode improvement
  • no more CDMA model
  • Bluetooth 5.3 instead of 5.0
  • US only: no more SIM card slot
  • high dynamic range gyro vs. three-axis gyro
  • high-g accelerometer instead of regular
  • dual ambient light sensors instead of one

iPhone 14 Plus vs. 14:
  • bigger screen (duh)
  • bigger battery life
  • inconsistent name
  • same camera

iPhone 14 Pro vs. 13 Pro:
  • always-on display
  • dynamic island instead of notch
  • crash detection
  • 48 MP main camera isntead of 12
  • front-camera autofocus
  • slightly better battery life
  • A16 instead of A15. Notably, they didn't talk about performance much.
  • screen estate has increased; ppi is the same
  • 2000 nits peak outdoor brightness
  • slightly taller, less wide, thicker, and heavier
  • apertures: Main: ƒ/1.78 vs. /1.5, Ultra Wide: ƒ/2.2 vs. /1.8, Telephoto: ƒ/2.8 vs. 2.8. That seems worse?
  • Second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization
  • true tone flash is now… adaptive
  • photonic engine
  • cinematic mode now does 4K at 30 fps instead of just 1080p
  • action mode (I think this is improved video optical image stabilization)
  • no more CDMA model
  • Bluetooth 5.3 instead of 5.0
  • US only: no more SIM card slot
  • GPS is now dual-frequency
  • high dynamic range gyro vs. three-axis gyro
  • high-g accelerometer instead of regular
  • dual ambient light sensors instead of one

I'm not comparing the 14 Pro Max; I presume it's the same changes.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-09-07, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I fear under-screen touch ID may never be coming.

I still hope they're working on that in some underground laboratory.
Face ID is a fair amount better in iOS 16 since it works in landscape. So, fewer scenarios where it doesn't recognize you because the phone is laying on a table, bed, etc.

I still kind of miss the explicit consent of Touch ID, though.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-09-07, 18:55

Is this the first time Apple has not upgraded the CPU in the flagship phones? Seems like it. Best I could gather was that there wouldn’t be any meaningful change from the A15 of last year.
Quagmire
meh

2022-09-07, 19:18

3G had the same CPU as original. So have to go back to 2008….
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-07, 19:26

Do they expect the 15 to finally get Apple's first modem?

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-07, 21:12

I've been using a 13 mini for the last year, and I absolutely love the size, but I just cannot get used to not having the best cameras on my iPhone.

I'm glad to see the actual white iPhone come back, and I would normally order that, I'm tempted by the deep purple one this year.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-08, 08:10

I really do like the way Apple is hiding the pill. Makes it less obvious it is there, though the name is interesting.

The camera is nice from the specs, but I'm not upgrading this year. I love my mini 13 and no plans to let it go.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-09-08, 10:09

Here's a good breakdown of the camera system improvements:

DPReview iPhone 14Pro coverage

It looks like they've upsized both the main camera sensor and the ultrawide sensor so the effective apertures in both are still larger than in the 13Pro, though the differences may not be that great.

iPhone 13Pro
main camera (26mm equivalent) = f//1.5 x 4.6x = f/6.9 (35mm equivalent)
ultrawide camera (13mm equivalent) = f/1.8 x 8.7x = f/15.66 (35mm equivalent)

iPhone 14Pro
main camera (24mm equivalent) = f/1.78 x 3.5x = f/6.3 (35mm equivalent)
ultrawide camera (13mm equivalent) = f/2.2 x 6.2x = f/13.64 (35mm equivalent)

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-09-08, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I've been using a 13 mini for the last year, and I absolutely love the size, but I just cannot get used to not having the best cameras on my iPhone.

I'm glad to see the actual white iPhone come back, and I would normally order that, I'm tempted by the deep purple one this year.
so now 14 mini? wild. I'm happy with my SE2 but minis are lovely sized...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-08, 18:54

Think I might snap up a 13 mini before they are gone.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-08, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
The mini may be my favorite sized iPhone in recent years. The Pros have just gotten so big lately.

I did love the 13 mini, but we're starting to plan to travel again and I just wanted the best camera available on me if I don't have my mirrorless Sony with me.

Quagmire
meh

2022-09-09, 07:58

I grabbed a 14 Pro Max 256 GB in deep purple.

One of these days I’ll have enough will power to skip a year.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-09, 08:32

I did the pre-authorization on my Apple Card yesterday and just had to sign in this morning to complete the transaction. (Really should have been able to complete it yesterday, but oh well)

Got the 14 Pro 256 in Purple. Purple wasn't a typical choice for me, but I usually get a new phone each year so if I don't like it, it's only for a year and I can always put a case on it.

Quagmire
meh

2022-09-09, 08:35

Yeah I’m surprised I went purple. I up to this morning wasn’t going to upgrade but impulsively decided to continue the upgrade program.

I thought if I was going to get it, I would go Silver( would be my first white phone). But I’ve been so bored with black/white lately and the pictures didn’t make it seem too outlandish of a purple, so went with it. I went with pacific blue for the 12 and sierra blue for the 13.

giggity
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-09-09, 09:53

My wife's 12 Pro and my ancient 6S Plus seem to have about the same size screen, but in different shape, yet the 6SPlus is much bulkier in hand, especially with a relatively similar case. My eyes want a bigger screen, my pocket wants a smaller phone... hmmm...

¡Damned!

2022-09-09, 10:18

I went from the 6S Plus to the 12 Pro Max and the latter is a lot less slippery than my old phone was. Chalk it up to the flat edges or whatever, but I've had minimal droppage and find it even easier to navigate one handed. Anna's 12 Pro screen just feels too cramped to me, though that's probably just because I'm so used to the Max. I will say that when I have to carry it for her (as one does occasionally for the pocket-less sex) it does feel more comfortable in a front pocket.

So it goes.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2022-09-09, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Similarly disappointed. Hopefully the mini becomes the new SE.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-09, 15:02

Looks like Apple could be in hot water over possibly using YMTC (State run Chinese Memory manufacturer).

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...n-new-iphone/]
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-09, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Looks like Apple could be in hot water over possibly using YMTC (State run Chinese Memory manufacturer).

Quote:
Apple said it was not considering using YMTC chips in phones for sale outside China. It added that all user data stored on Nand chips used by the company were “fully encrypted.”
Seems like Apple is only using the chips in iPhones sold into China, which makes sense since the Chinese already spy on themselves. So it really doesn't matter. Besides, the Chinese have already reverse engineered the iPhone a thousand times, so Apple has no technology to hide from them. It's really just a concern if the memory is installed in iPhones and/or used on networks outside of china. Affected iPhones will eventually be used on networks outside China, but I very seriously doubt if Apple is going to intentionally run afoul of U.S. sanctions otherwise.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-10, 05:44

The last few years I’ve been buying the phone outright and upgrading every year but I just can’t justify it this year. There is no real reason for me to ditch my 13 Pro. Would be just pissing away money.
chucker

2022-09-10, 06:05

Quote:

Big deal, Village People have been using YMTC for decades.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-10, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Seems like Apple is only using the chips in iPhones sold into China, which makes sense since the Chinese already spy on themselves. So it really doesn't matter. Besides, the Chinese have already reverse engineered the iPhone a thousand times, so Apple has no technology to hide from them. It's really just a concern if the memory is installed in iPhones and/or used on networks outside of china. Affected iPhones will eventually be used on networks outside China, but I very seriously doubt if Apple is going to intentionally run afoul of U.S. sanctions otherwise.
I think part of the concern is the large amount of lower cost imported phones that come into North America. You see tons of them on eBay and other places people buy “cheap” flagship phones from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Big deal, Village People have been using YMTC for decades.
Keep in mind these are the US rules. I don’t know what brands you are referring to with “Village People”, but I can only assume that would be Android phone makers. My understanding would be that the U.S. Senate would go after them as well, you just don’t hear about it, since most of them aren’t operating out of the US like Apple is.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-10, 12:35

For those who get the "Max" line of phone, how do you actually manage the device with it being that big? I mean, you don't keep it in your pocket unless you wear cargo pants right?

It just seems so big for a "daily device".

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-10, 12:44

I think those are for people have their phone in hand 24/7, or they use their phone to look at lots of videos, photos, maybe spreadsheets and such on the go. To me an iPad is better suited to those tasks than a iPhone, but to each their own.
chucker

2022-09-10, 13:18

Quote:
I don’t know what brands you are referring to with “Village People”, but I can only assume that would be Android phone makers.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village_People
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-10, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yes, but I figured that was meant to mean something else. I didn't say YMCA
noleli2

2022-09-11, 21:16

Quote:
Think I might snap up a 13 mini before they are gone.
Same. I’m still on the original SE, which I absolutely love. Perfect size, home button, Touch ID, no notch, rectangular screen, sits flat on a table (no camera bump), and headphone jack. But iOS 16 won’t run on it

I’m hoping it’ll be a stopgap phone until they make a good iPhone again, but I’m expecting to be disappointed over the next few years. At least give us smallness and Touch ID on the power button!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-12, 05:57

Touch ID on the power button to go along with Face ID would be fantastic. Just like they have on the iPad Mini. Face ID just never works when I am wearing sunglasses and it drives me insane.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey