User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Family Sharing with multiple Apple IDs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Family Sharing with multiple Apple IDs
noleli2

2022-10-28, 08:01

Like many people, for historical reasons I have two Apple IDs: one for iCloud and one for Music/App purchases and subscriptions. I have an Apple Music subscription and would like to share it with my family using Family Sharing.

It seems that you can only set up Family Sharing with an iCloud account (the main one that macOS is signed into). That means that I’m unable to share my Apple Music account.

A few sources on the internet have suggested adding my Music/App account as a family member, but I can’t seem to accept the invitation because my Mac is signed into my iCloud account.

(It’s only been 11 years since Apple claimed to be working on merging Apple IDs https://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/16...ple-apple-ids/)

Has anyone else encountered this issue? How did you solve it? Thanks!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-28, 09:21

I abandoned one of my accounts and chose the other as primary.

For the longest time my family all shared the same one. Then the Family Sharing became a thing and I finally gave in and picked one over the other. Cancelled any subscriptions on the outgoing one and picked them up on the new one.

Now Mrs T has her own iTunes/Music account with the Family Sharing and I don't get my play counts increased by her choices. Our music taste is REALLY different.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
noleli2

2022-10-28, 10:48

Thanks, turtle. I also have music and apps that I’ve bought, not just subscriptions I can cancel and move, so I’m not sure that’s a viable option for me. :/
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-28, 10:51

Yeah, I lost those app or had to re-buy them.

For me I did this YEARS ago so I only lost a handful. It was painful, but also one of the reason I buy less software through the Mac App Store. Of course, iOS store is what it is and I had to re-buy/subscribe.

Music you can strip DRM off of. Apps, those you are stuck losing, re-buying or finding another option.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2022-10-28, 11:34

I thought for sure you could merge IDs, but you're right, it's not possible. wth

Looks like one way or another you'll have to get the IDs working with Family Sharing. Maybe log in with the Music ID and accept the invite? It's been a while since I set up Family and am drawing a blank on how the invite came through.

So it goes.
noleli2

2022-10-30, 21:09

So I had a brief call with Apple today. Their suggestion was to move everything to one account or the other. Because of all my purchases on my iTunes account, that’d mean moving all my calendars, contacts, photos, and iCloud Drive to the other account. That sounded like a potentially lossy and error-prone process, and wanted to avoid it.

But while I was on the phone with them I thought of another solution: I created a second user account on my Mac, logged in to my iTunes Apple ID as if it were the primary iCloud account, and sent the family sharing invites from that user. Then I fast-user-switched back to my regular account and continued living life as normal 🎉
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-31, 13:56

So you were able to add the other account to your family?
noleli2

2022-10-31, 17:42

I didn’t have to because I can still log into the other account in Music.app and the App Store. I just needed to be able to use the Family Sharing pref pane with that account, which I was able to do from another Mac user account.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-01, 08:33

Ahh...