Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Yahoo Mail Beta

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Yahoo Mail Beta
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-12-14, 08:44

I logged into mail.yahoo.com this morning and discovered that yahoo has unveiled their new/beta web-based email client. It gave me the option of test driving it, with the ability to switch back at anytime, so I gave it a shot.

(I let my billion dollar per year .mac account slide so hopefully somebody else will host images.)

First impression: cool, they've needed to overhaul the interface for quite a while. Ten seconds later... damn, this is slower than shit! Running Firefox on WinXP, there is a multi second lag between click and application response. It almost brought this 1.6Ghz P4 to it's knees. Not only was the web-app slow, it slowed everything else down as well.

If they could steal some of the gmail performance mojo, I'd be quite enamored with the new interface.

How is the performance on OS X?
Also, the spell checking feature is disabled in mozilla browsers. Does it work in safari? [Edit: Oh wait, what am I asking? While using OS X at home, I'll have built in spell checking anyway.]
SledgeHammer

2005-12-14, 09:26

I don't think everyone has the option to preview the Beta. I found no option to try it and when clicked "what's new" I was able to put my name in to test it eventually, but not right now.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-12-14, 11:30

Wow... the more i use the beta (or attempt to use really) the more it seems like a pre alpha build. It is almost completely unusable, at least on this machine. Clicking on something typcially produces no action, a 10 second delay until response, or a crashed browser.