Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac G5
Page 5 of 12 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-08-31, 11:31

So what's the code name for the new iMac?

Is it the 'Jay Leno' ?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-31, 11:35

Chris, regarding the "it's got a G5"...is that going to be enough? Again, I'm asking. I mean, one year ago everyone acted like the G5 was going to be the end-all/be-all thing and that it would lure the power monkeys and so forth.

Didn't really.

It's got a G5. That's great. I think it's cool. Will that matter to anyone that currently uses a 2.8GHz PC or whatever? Will it matter to the outright pro who'll probably spring for the dual towers?

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE that it's a G5, the future! But don't act like that mere fact alone is going to, hands down, mean everything to everyone. Lots of people still simply not care or notice.

I think this will sell really well to current Mac people. That I do. I think it'll also sell well as a second (or third) household Mac to families. I think some prosumer types will be all over it (but some won't). Students who can afford it, sure. Many can't. Current PC users? Unassisted and unpushed, do you honestly think having a G5 is going to be the "clincher".

Because I don't.

Most people out there don't pay attention to things like that 1/10 the amount you or I do. They're doing it right by at least connecting it to the iPod, and not the G5. The G5 isn't the key here, honestly. Yes, to a smattering of already-faithful tech-head types, sure. No question. But think my Mom gives a damn if it's a G5? Nope. I promise you that.

Can it work with her Canon i860? Her Canon S45 camera? Can she find a program that lets her make greeting cards and invitations? Can she plug her beloved Kensington mouse into it and have it work (yes, we know that). Those are the things real people think about. I promise you "G5" doesn't enter into it for lots and lots of "regular joe" people.

No clincher. The "clincher" is several things, not tangible and more overall in nature. But Apple has to still battle those longstanding beliefs ("can it run Office", "what about virus and worms?", "is there software for it?", "can it work with my e-mail?", "why is it $1499 when I can get one at Sam's Club for $699 with faster Internet...".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-08-31 at 11:46.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2004-08-31, 11:38

I have been looking at comparable PC prices to the new iMac and can't find anything even close. Do you guys know how hard it is to nav the online stores at Gateway and Dell?

Only Alienware and VooDoo offer 64-bit PCs that even come close to the stuff Apple is building. And they actually cost more!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-08-31, 11:39

Has anyone considered where this puts people with G4 Pro kit these days?

Already with Motion the Rev A 17" G4 is obsolete as it does not have a supported graphics card....

If the traditionally low end Mac platform is now 64 bit and has been tooled up ready for Tiger are we going to find advanced obsolecense with our current reasonably new Pro machines? Or are we going to find at least some lack of features and new software revisions being available?

Just a thought?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-31, 11:47

Paul, the thing is, the Mac, as a computing platform is just as good as any out there now. It offers choice (it really does, in my opinion) and delivers bang for the buck. Everything is there to make it THE switcher platform, over any other alternatives. This new iMac is going to gorge on fed up PC users, if it doesnt, nothing will....what else could?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
kscherer
Which way is up?

2004-08-31, 11:49

Let's also keep in mind that, as time goes by, Apple has consistently lowered the prices on their iMacs. I think that in a year or so, we will see the G5-based iMac, or a G5-based eMac for less than $1000.00. And still have widescreen displays.

It is true that most people do not understand the difference between 32-bit processing and 64-bit processing. But they will soon enough. There is no need, right now, for a 64-bit consumer machine. But there wasn't a need for 32-bit in 1984, either. Now, what consumer would be willing to make the backward jump to 16-bit processors?

Apple is single-handedly moving the industry toward 64-bit processing and the Mac developers are quickly taking advantage of that power. Consumers will eventually realize this and make the jump. The G5 iMac is the first, and only, consumer-level 64-bit computer and the ONLY 64-bit computer, period, for less than $2000.00 (big-ass monitor included).

Apple has done a great thing, here. $1300 bucks will get you a 64-bit machine with a 17" widescreen monitor. Who here would have thought that a year after the G5 intro?

The form factor may not be perfect, the expansion may not be perfect, but the bang-for-the-buck is beyond perfect! The PC industry will, once again, be playing catch up for a long time to come.

Kudos to Apple!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-31, 11:54

Chris, I'm glad you said that/brought that up, because this takes us back EXACTLY to the other day when you were getting a bit testy on the whole "m" conversation...

I totally agree...the iMac G5 is the ultimate consumer machine. No shit.

Guess what? It all goes back to the thing I talk about all the time: it ain't gonna matter if people don't know. Still too early to ding Apple because we don't know what their advertising/marketing for this is going to consist of.

But if Christmas rolls around and all that's been done with this is a silly vague commercial that was shown a couple of times and maybe an ad in Time and THAT'S IT, well guess what...

I don't doubt the machine AT ALL. I'm sure it kicks butt righteously for ANY consumer. What I doubt - and with damn good reason - is for regular people (ie non Mac geeks) to know about it, to give a crap, to know it could be the perfect computer for them, etc.

This new iMac could be dual 2.4GHz and cost $799, but that won't matter a bit if Apple doesn't hold up the other end of the equation and properly push/support/market the damn thing.

That's just true.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-31, 11:55

The clincher for the on-the-fence potential iMac buyer is:

1) The old iMac is dead. Long live the dome!
2) Unlike the old iMac, the new iMac is actually a good deal and price comparable to any slimline PC desktop you find from a major OEM.

I'm considering getting one, and I never seriously entertained the idea of buying a G4 iMac.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-31, 11:57

...and I'd hardly equate you with your typical longtime PC-using consumer who knows next to nothing about Apple.
kingpin10

2004-08-31, 12:02

LAPTOP ON A STICK boy thats innovative NOT! My 2 cents. BIG YAWN at 4 30 am i saw it not impressed. G5 chip and faster bus 2 of the only attractive items in my opinion. No swiveling left and right, a step back. ships with limited ram and even on the big boy only 256 and a wired keyboard a real change would have been to ship w/ wireless included. Only other positive is since it is an ibook on a stick I can only think portables or even a ipad will not be far behind.

Patrick
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-31, 12:07

I bet my PowerMac G4 would womp on it. Not that it really matters, it just would.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-31, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
...and I'd hardly equate you with your typical longtime PC-using consumer who knows next to nothing about Apple.
All they need to know is that if they want a PC that goes on their desk and not under it, they should get the iMac because it is the better deal. If there can be SUV backlash, why can't there be minitower backlash? This is more an issue with marketing than anything else.
MacUsers

2004-08-31, 12:16

I'm not sure If I like it or not... link to keynote video on Apple front page.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-08-31, 12:21

The design is really starting to grow on me. I have a feeling this iMac is going to look really good on a nice clean desk... especially with the wireless Apple keyboard and mouse I have. Just the single power cord coming in. Yes, cords from the back for peripherals... but I don't it's going to be the rat's nest everyone seems to think. You just have to be careful how you work the cords, and use the hole in the stand, unlike the dorks who set the display machines up at the Expo.

I'm pretty shocked at the pricing, really. The 20" model went down by $600 CDN! That's insane. The pricing on the low end model is really, really good. I'll be picking that up for my office before long, I'm sure.

I also placed an order for a 20" model the minute the store opened up. I was dog tired and probably not thinking clearly, but I figured I'd get in at the front of the line, and if I had second thoughts I had a good long while to call in and cancel or adjust the order. But after reading all of the iMac info at Apple's site, and seeing all of the photos around of it, I'm really happy with it.

I think as more of these pop up in stores and people start posting their new setup pics, reviews, etc, it'll "catch on". Price/performance wise I think they're fine (okay, I'll concede that the video card sucks), and I'm liking the look of it more and more every time I see it.

Time will tell.
BenRoethig

2004-08-31, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
To all the nay-sayers, I have this to say:

If you are not satisfied with the new iMac, it is your own fault, not Apple's.
That kind of attitude is why we have around 5% of the market.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-31, 12:27

Wait, I changed my mind. There's one major deal-breaker here...

It doesn't look like I'd be able to install a FUFMe.
Snoopy

2004-08-31, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin10
LAPTOP ON A STICK boy thats innovative NOT! . . .

The iMac2 had lots of innovation but did not sell well. People were not willing to pay for innovative features. In the iMac3, Apple gives us a little less innovation, but a solid computer at a good price. If you don't like the look of it, go see Sony's AIO. Personally, I think the iMac3 is much better looking.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-31, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
All they need to know is that if they want a PC that goes on their desk and not under it, they should get the iMac because it is the better deal. If there can be SUV backlash, why can't there be minitower backlash? This is more an issue with marketing than anything else.

YES...I SAY THAT FREQUENTLY. Thank you.

I never doubted the machine at all. It's great. Even this morning, when I was dinging its appearance/design, I only had good stuff to say about the specs and what's under the hood.

But Apple doesn't need to make commercials aimed at you, Messiahtosh and myself. We're up at 4:30am, on the site, reading the specs for 38th time, etc.

Here's a beautiful illustration of this: Steve Jobs gets up at EVERY keynote and speaks about the whole "digital hub" thing. He shows that little graphic with a Mac surrounded by a camera, DVD disk, iPod, musical keyboard, etc. Okay, when it came time to make a commercial for the iMac G4 (well into the digital hub thing at the time), did they do something that would appeal to all those people out there, curious to see what Macs can do? No. They instead opted to show some jack-ass engaging in a face-making contest with the iMac in a store window...further promoting the whole idea of Apple - and iMacs in particular - not being a "serious" thing, and being rather childish and toy-like (a rep that took flight during the colored jellybean era).

Had they not wasted their money on such a stupid, meaningless spot and, instead, showed some condensed, 30-second meaningful meat-n-taters that made it clear the iMac is the machine to have if you're into digital music, photography, video, etc., who knows what might've been?

That's why I have little to no faith in them, because of idiocy like that. "How in the hell is this going to sell the iMac?!?!?!" I remember saying to myself.

Now the one cool thing that gives me reason to be optimistic on this new iMac: they seem to be throwing in with the iPod. And if they push this new iMac one-half as intensely and frequently as they've hawked the iPod/iTMS thing, then we might see something great happen!

That's why I'm curious to see what the next few months hold...are they going to blow it, heading into the holidays, or are they going to finally get a clue and market this thing aggressively and cleverly, and make all those PC-using iPod owners out there crave a proper big brother for their beloved mp3 player?

BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-08-31, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico_from_Paris
Seeing it you say to yourself : of course. how could it have been different.
I don't know what it is about the design or how they make it happen so well (this is why I'm not a product designer), but I was thinking the same thing.

It's fuckin' cool.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-08-31, 12:50

Quote:
Most people considering wall-mounting will probably also consider making the necessary alterations to their walls to fit the device.
Yup. Also, remember that a "wall" doesn't always have to be the kind of structure that separates the office from the bathroom.

Imagine having a large drafting/art table, a G5 iMac mounted on a post right above the far edge, with a little shelf under the side for the Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Sure, you could kinda do the same thing with a regular computer & LCD display, but not with the same zero footprint and at the same price.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-08-31, 12:55

Something to think about.

1. no 10/100/1000
2. no Firewire 800
3. no Monitor spanning
4. no built-in wireless

I am still amazed at what they were able to do.

Mile 1
dfiler
Veteran Member

2004-08-31, 13:03

I love the new design. While I liked the ergonomics of the iMac2, it's dome base and arm seemed to have put it out of my price/performace range.

The Jay Leno effect is pretty pronounced at first. But after a few more viewings it seems more logical than many current designs. Typically, placing your display and keyboard on the desk means that either the keyboard is too high, the display too low, or both.

It actually makes ergonomic sense to raise the screen slightly higher than typical on most LCD screens. In future revisions, I expect the chin to shrink. However, for right now, it seems like an acceptable tradeoff.

I'm not interested in new designs just for the sake of newness. While this case form has been done before, the new iMac is the most elegant version I've seen yet.

In a few years time, I can see speed becoming a non issue for many users, making form the paramount buying factor. If successful, I predict that the iMac will change the way people view computers. No longer will they expect cumbersom boxes a dangling cords. Instead, they'll expect a keyboard, mouse, and display... with only a single power cord.

Then... we'll all have to wax nostalgic over the days when computers were huge boxes connected by wires. Remember when computers used to obliterate everything else on your desk?

How primitive.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-31, 13:23

I'm slowly warming to the thing. It's taken 8-9 hours. Those "real life" pics from the Expo helped. I don't know why, but Apple's PR shots never capture the look just right.

If I needed a desktop, this is how I'd go, no question! I hate me some towers!

A buddy just e-mailed me and he ordered one for he and his wife (it'll be their second Mac...they have a 400MHz G3 Lime iMac DV).

This will be quite a step up. They got the $1499 17" model. They'll love it. And I've got another buddy - she's big into Painter and Photoshop - e-mailing me, asking about it. She currently uses a blue-and-white G3 and matching 17" Studio Display (the three-legged CRT model). Now SHE'S all wound up and eyeing it. She'd REALLY appreciate the leap, pushing those pixels around like she does!

Days like this make me, more than anything, wish I were filthy, stinking 9-digit rich...I would've already ordered about eight of these for my absolute closest friends and relatives. Kinda a "thank you for putting up with me all these years" gift.

Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-31, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I'm slowly warming to the thing. It's taken 8-9 hours. Those "real life" pics from the Expo helped. I don't know why, but Apple's PR shots never capture the look just right.
LOL. No, you hate the thing! It's awful! It looks like Reese Witherspoon's chin.

Quote:
Days like this make me, more than anything, wish I were filthy, stinking 9-digit rich...I would've already ordered about eight of these for my absolute closest friends and relatives. Kinda a "thank you for putting up with me all these years" gift.

I'm sure the decision would be just as easy if you were only 7 or 8-digit rich.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-08-31, 13:36

Quote:
LOL. No, you hate the thing! It's awful! It looks like Reese Witherspoon's chin.
Heh -- yeah, but if you're like me, you think that Reese Witherspoon is really cute...

But, I don't mind the chin. It gives someplace for sticky notes, corporate/museum logos, and stuff like that, and it makes it easy to grab & adjust. Plus, since it's so plain, it's pretty neutral and won't distract from the screen a whole lot.

That's one thing I've appreciated about Apple's general design trend -- there's not a whole lot to distract from what's happening on-screen. Even Safari's brushed metal appearance doesn't interfere with the look of web pages, while every stinkin' Windows window has all that extraneous crap. The jellybean iMacs, too, have a pretty plain front face.
MacRGood4U

2004-08-31, 13:43

Analysts on Wall Street are optimistic about the new iMac. Pricing vs. previous model is lower. They are saying it will do much better then my beloved 17" LCD iMac. Another interesting item, and I'm not technically savvy enough, but some commentators are saying you should wait before dissing the graphics card. Since this iMac uses new architecture and a faster front buss speed along with the G5 chip, video performance may surprise vs. the previous iMac. Expo photos show the iMac to be more interesting and with lots of little details the website "flat looking" photos never show. This has been going on for years, commenting positively or mostly negatively based on highly doctored photos from the website rather then waiting to see it in person or looking at more realistic photos which are now available. A winner.

Can't You See The Forrest Through The Trees?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-31, 13:50

You know it will get some stupid commercial in which people are searching frantically for the actual computer.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-31, 13:56

"Honey, where's the tower? What did you do with it? Did you see it in the box?"

I have a question: in what type of environment are these kinds of photos taken? Who all is involved: model, photographers, assistants, etc.

I ask because I remember when the white iBooks were first announced, they had video of all those Henrico country grade schoolers using them. Others were around and there HAD to have been a film crew there to film/photograph it all.

With all that in mind, how do these things manage to stay secret? That young woman in the pic above...I suppose she's under some NDA thing, as are all those kids in that iBook promo? Everytime I see something like this - a photo or video of a product JUST released where everyone in it is carrying on as though they've had the thing for months - I always wonder about that.

How long ago do you suppose the above photo was taken? Weeks? Months? Yesterday morning?

People like to talk, and if I was the microphone/audio guy, set carpenter or caterer involved in the filming of some new iMac or PowerBook promo video or photo shoot like above...

Does everyone take a blood oath or something?

Anyone have some insight or stories on this?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-08-31 at 14:14.
futuretheory

2004-08-31, 14:20

Couple quick thoughts. It is a perfect design to try and collect some switchers currently with PC's and iPod's. It doesn't do a lot for me design-wise, but it's first rev. I actually like the streamlined form factor, but the bright white is getting old. Put that baby in anodized aluminum and we have a winner.

I agree the swing arm was more useful and this is a step back, but let's face it, the design didn't sell well. Too many "iLamp" comparisons etc. It's all about perception, not true value sadly. This design is more practical in many ways, like upgrading so that's nice. I don't know how practical the "floating" computer will be or how streamlined it will look when you have cords hanging off the back; forget wall mounting too...should have put those on the side I fear.

But finally, my main irk is that the flat-screen is so "attached" to the device. The perception out there is that LCD's are valuable and good. They also know that they out live the CPU by years. These too feelings are at odds with each other, many would rather save for a LCD and separate CPU, maybe a PC, foregoing the buy iMac impulse. They absolutely SHOULD have a DVI input to drive the screen from another device (w/ a input 1/2 switch). I wanted this on the old design too, and if I could hooked up my Powerbook and use the iMac screen as a second screen I would have bought one. I would also feel better knowing that if the machine died or was utterly obsolete I could still get value out of the expensive screen on another computer. Until they do this simple thing, I will NEVER buy an all-one-design.

This would also drive switching sales because you could just keep your PC and replace your old CRT monitor with an iMac, it just happens to have a mac inside as a new and second computer.
Cybermonkey

2004-08-31, 14:22

I've been holding on to me cash in able to get one of these, and now it's released I'm thinking 'should i or shouldn't i?'

The design is nothing special in terms of 'wow' and with my experience of slot loading players, they don't last all that long with repeated use. Throw on top the measly 64MB Fx5200 and the only thing to tempt me is the G5.

The jury is still out for me, The only reason i'd buy this at the moment is if i sold all of my equipment and bought in a panic.