User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iMac G5 is the cause of dual 1.8 GHz G5 delay.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac G5 is the cause of dual 1.8 GHz G5 delay.
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Quagmire
meh

2004-08-28, 19:03

TS is reporting that the 20" imac G5 with the 1.8 Ghz G5 is causing the delays for the Powermac dual 1.8 Ghz G5. TS also reports that the dual 2.5 GHz G5 is falling short of demand. For new orders not expected to ship intill late September or early October. Also the 6800 ultra being pushed back to October for shipments. But, the 30" display is still expected to ship in September. Apple is readying a security update.

PS: I believe it is still worth waiting for the monster if I had the money for it.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0408briefly.html

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2004-08-28 at 19:14. Reason: spelling and grammer
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-28, 20:03

I'd love to see Apple actually release an all-new, highly-anticipated product and have quantity ready to go. Think back, if you will, over the past three years and think of all the "announcing today, shipping in (fill in the blank)..." releases.

Those seem to outweigh the "announcing today, AND we've got a shitload on hand...order three!" scenario.

Hopefully this iMac is stocked, locked and ready to rock, and anyone who wants want actually has it on their desk within a week or so. Would be NICE, considering the G5s, Xserves, iPod minis, 30" display, some reports of PowerBook delays/waits, etc.

Are the white iPods about the only thing Apple has consistently predictable decent quantity of? Seems like it...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-08-28, 21:36

I'm pretty sure that this drying up of iMacs in the channel during the past couple months is an indication that they've been storing them up. I'm almost positive of it. Apple's been dinged over and over about not having supply and perpetual delays in getting machines out. I'd put my money on the new iMac being available (in some form, at least), immediately.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-28, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
I'm pretty sure that this drying up of iMacs in the channel during the past couple months is an indication that they've been storing them up. I'm almost positive of it. Apple's been dinged over and over about not having supply and perpetual delays in getting machines out. I'd put my money on the new iMac being available (in some form, at least), immediately.
Uh, why would the drying up of previous-generation iMacs in the channel have any effect on the volume availability of next-gen iMacs? Apple didn't even have anything to show us when they announced the iMac shortage.

For the first batch of orders, I think a shipping timeframe of 4-6 weeks is a lot more likely than 5-7 days...

Last edited by Eugene : 2004-08-29 at 03:34.
Quagmire
meh

2004-08-28, 22:13

It is a good thing apple is stocking up on imacs. But, will it be enough? Only time will tell. Has apple ever put consumers in front of pro's before? Apple is actually stocking up on a consumer machine. It also makes you think what would you rather have. Moto with there horrible management and devotion to the G4. Or will you rather have IBM with their dedication to the PPC 970 development but, have supply issues. It is a tough choice.

giggity
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 02:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
It is a good thing apple is stocking up on imacs. But, will it be enough? Only time will tell. Has apple ever put consumers in front of pro's before? Apple is actually stocking up on a consumer machine. It also makes you think what would you rather have. Moto with there horrible management and devotion to the G4. Or will you rather have IBM with their dedication to the PPC 970 development but, have supply issues. It is a tough choice.
It's not really a tough choice at all. The G5 has real potential, with the Fishkill plant and all the money that is being thrown into developing the G5, it will end up alright in the end. The current issues of supply are just speedbumps (pun intended) in the long road ahead.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-29, 07:45

I'm with Eugene on this. Not having any G4 iMacs around doesn't have any bearing on the NEW, unseen iMac. I'll bet you a dollar this new iMac will be the same thing. Some early stock for the quick and brave to snag, but then - due to the G5 "problems" (could we just get a #%@#^ chip that works and can make enough of, just once?!?) - there will be thread after thread of "I ordered my iMac G5 immediately after the keynote...it's almost Halloween and I STILL don't have it!"

As much faith and confidence I have in Apple on the OS, software, product design and overall "vibe" front, I have next to none on the shipping, supply, business-oriented and marketing ends. They've got a rather piss-poor history in those specific areas, so I think my concerns are totally valid.

Sigh...
BenRoethig

2004-08-29, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
It's not really a tough choice at all. The G5 has real potential, with the Fishkill plant and all the money that is being thrown into developing the G5, it will end up alright in the end. The current issues of supply are just speedbumps (pun intended) in the long road ahead.
Everyone is having Yield problems with 90nm chips. The transition from 130 to 90 was a lot harder than anyone expected.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2004-08-29, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
Uh, why would the drying up of previous-generation iMacs in the channel have any effect on the volume availability of next-gen iMacs? Apple didn't even have anything to show us when they announced the iMac shortage.

For the first batch of orders, I think a shipping timeframe of 4-6 weeks is a lot more likely than 5-7 days...
Because they switched over their production lines to the new iMacs earlier and the shortage of G5 processors prevented them from getting them out back in July? The whole point of my theory is that they didn't want to pre-announce something and make people wait for it. They've only got a limited amount of production line space so they used it to ramp up production so that there WOULDN'T be a 4-6 week wait.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig
Everyone is having Yield problems with 90nm chips. The transition from 130 to 90 was a lot harder than anyone expected.
Thank you Steve Jobs, I think we all know that.

Anyway, while were on the subject, the main point in my previous response was to say that the G5 is the processor of Apple's future....just as SJ has said too.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I'm with Eugene on this. Not having any G4 iMacs around doesn't have any bearing on the NEW, unseen iMac. I'll bet you a dollar this new iMac will be the same thing. Some early stock for the quick and brave to snag, but then - due to the G5 "problems" (could we just get a #%@#^ chip that works and can make enough of, just once?!?) - there will be thread after thread of "I ordered my iMac G5 immediately after the keynote...it's almost Halloween and I STILL don't have it!"

As much faith and confidence I have in Apple on the OS, software, product design and overall "vibe" front, I have next to none on the shipping, supply, business-oriented and marketing ends. They've got a rather piss-poor history in those specific areas, so I think my concerns are totally valid.

Sigh...
Apple's supply management has not really been terrible until lately, even now it's not actually Apple's own fault. The people they are buying from have their heads up their asses and cant get the necessary volume to meet demand. It is not Apple's fault for "underestimating" demand, which in the business world is better to do than to do the opposite.

Marketing is one of Apple's brilliant strengths. I don't really want to get in to it, but the reason that people are buying the iPod and more Macs now than in over 5 years, is because of great, intelligent advertising.

Apple does not just preach to the converted, they primarily speak to those who are interested. No matter what, there is no ad agency in the world that can MAKE someone become interested in technology...except for maybe Apple's. They got me, that's for sure...and probably everyone here.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2004-08-29, 15:59

Quote:
Apple's supply management has not really been terrible until lately, even now it's not actually Apple's own fault. The people they are buying from have their heads up their asses and cant get the necessary volume to meet demand. It is not Apple's fault for "underestimating" demand, which in the business world is better to do than to do the opposite.

Marketing is one of Apple's brilliant strengths. I don't really want to get in to it, but the reason that people are buying the iPod and more Macs now than in over 5 years, is because of great, intelligent advertising.

Apple does not just preach to the converted, they primarily speak to those who are interested. No matter what, there is no ad agency in the world that can MAKE someone become interested in technology...except for maybe Apple's. They got me, that's for sure...and probably everyone here.
Pass the crack pipe, Messiahtosh. I can't believe you'd claim that Apple is good at marketing. I think their iPod success is actually a product of their poor marketing skills. The iPod is a GREAT gadget and Apple's poor marketing has resulted in a sort of enigmatic quality around it. That's what leads people to it. If anything Apple's marketing is sort of an "anti-marketing" scheme. Don't actually TELL anyone what your stuff does and make them wonder. Maybe that's their strategy.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 16:05

Quote:
Pass the crack pipe, Messiahtosh. I can't believe you'd claim that Apple is good at marketing. I think their iPod success is actually a product of their poor marketing skills. The iPod is a GREAT gadget and Apple's poor marketing has resulted in a sort of enigmatic quality around it. That's what leads people to it. If anything Apple's marketing is sort of an "anti-marketing" scheme. Don't actually TELL anyone what your stuff does and make them wonder. Maybe that's their strategy.
Pure ignorance. People are not just Macaddicts because of the product's merit, they also love it because it's "cool."

Many people would agree with me...in fact, Apple is one of the most recognized brands in the world, according to Forbes.

Crack pipe? Shut the hell up.

Quagmire
meh

2004-08-29, 16:51

Quote:
I have to agree with Messiahtosh here. The ipod was a perfect marketing tactic to advertise the Mac. People thought that since the ipod was so easy to use the Mac would too. So they went to the apple store looked at a mac and hopefully liked it and bought one. The ipod was a hidden ad for the mac.

giggity
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 17:10

Quote:
Don't actually TELL anyone what your stuff does and make them wonder. Maybe that's their strategy.
And another thing about your assbackward POS post: since when is advertising supposed to TELL people what your stuff does? Print ads do that.

TV ads are meant to SHOW the product and say a couple important words about it such as, "For Mac and PC," and also possibly list the price.

Ads are meant to peak the curiosity of those who are interested in the subject at hand, or to fuel the hype of a product that is already ubiquitous.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-29, 17:23

I agree with your assessment of the differences between print and TV ads, Messiahtosh, but please calm down.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-08-29, 17:23

Quote:
And another thing about your assbackward POS post...
Laying it on a little thick there, aren't you?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I agree with your assessment of the differences between print and TV ads, Messiahtosh, but please calm down.
lol sorry, I get worked up sometimes. It's all on account of the eye.

Anyone remember that SNL skit?
aswitcher

2004-08-29, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
TS is reporting that the 20" imac G5 with the 1.8 Ghz G5 is causing the delays for the Powermac dual 1.8 Ghz G5. TS also reports that the dual 2.5 GHz G5 is falling short of demand. For new orders not expected to ship intill late September or early October. Also the 6800 ultra being pushed back to October for shipments. But, the 30" display is still expected to ship in September. Apple is readying a security update.

PS: I believe it is still worth waiting for the monster if I had the money for it.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0408briefly.html
I expect delays because I am in Oz and we see things anything up to 4 weeks (or in the case of the mini 7 months) later.

If there are known constraints then I wont be talkign potential switchers into ordering a machine that may not be available (especially when not stock config) for some months. Hopefulyl by Christmas they will have themselves sorted out...
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-29, 20:09

Quote:
Marketing is one of Apple's brilliant strengths. I don't really want to get in to it, but the reason that people are buying the iPod and more Macs now than in over 5 years, is because of great, intelligent advertising

Apple, marketing, and brilliant do not belong in the same sentence. Apparently you missed when Apple doesn't advertise at all. I have to agree with Torifile here
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-29, 20:12

Me too. Then again, you all knew where I stand on this particular issue, huh?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Apple, marketing, and brilliant do not belong in the same sentence. Apparently you missed when Apple doesn't advertise at all. I have to agree with Torifile here
Look at the number of Mac freak sites there are, compare that to the amount of Dell Insiders and Dimension Secret sites there are....

Apple does a damn good job of marketing. Look at the brilliance of their iPod advertising, their Quicktime promo videos, their billboards, and their Apple Stores. They do a tremendous job....NewsWeek, Time, Business Week covers....amazing.

Been watching the music award show tonight? Millions of people have, and in doing so they have seen iPod commercials.

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2004-08-29 at 20:40.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-29, 20:40

Chris, it's moments like these that I realize you're simply on a mass chain-yanking mission of your own design. That's a bit over-the-top and gushing for something so mediocre and still.

The iPod is about the only thing getting anywhere near the level of exposure and attention you speak of. You know damn well the G5, the laptops, the OS, the iApps (and, most likely, the new iMac G5) get basically no push from Apple...certainly nowhere near that of the iPod.

In fact, the things you speak of (coverage by the mainstream press, billboards, etc.) are the dancing silhouettes or iPod/iTunes/iTMS-related stuff!

When's the last time you saw a spot for anything else? That didn't suck?

Exactly...
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 20:43

Quote:
Chris, it's moments like these that I realize you're simply on a mass chain-yanking mission of your own design. That's a bit over-the-top and gushing for something so mediocre and still.

The iPod is about the only thing getting anywhere near the level of exposure and attention you speak of. You know damn well the G5, the laptops, the OS, the iApps (and, most likely, the new iMac G5) get basically no push from Apple...certainly nowhere near that of the iPod.
You are absurd for saying that I'm out to yank chains. My comment is completely valid, and I stand by it. Without the amazing marketing that Apple has, there wouldnt even be a Mac platform anymore.

And you show your misunderstanding of the strategy when you say that the new iMac and all the other products COULD be pushed in a way like the iPod has. The iPod is a consumer-based product, and not just that but also somethng that can be bought on impulse.

The iPod is also responsible for advertising for the rest of Apple's products. When people go to Apple.com to see the iPod, they are surrounded by every product Apple has.

Tell me what they could do to CONVERT people? I'm all ears.

The only thing they could do to get the word out, is to employ wide-eyed fanatics like us to go around city streets and airports, handing out flyers to random people...

---------

You do not seem to understand that what Apple does with marketing is so much more effective in solidifying Apple as THE brand in computing. And look how wonderfully it is starting to work! Apple is now #2 to Dell in planned PC purchases. Check out MacSurfer for all of the success stories that Apple is having on College campuses and beyond.

AppleTurns had an interesting article the other week about Apple's market share. If you look at the markets in which Apple actually has a presence, they are either competing very well or dominating.

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2004-08-29 at 20:49.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-29, 20:47

Quote:
You are absurd for saying that I'm out to yank chains.
Heavens, you're right. Where would I ever get such an idea...

Unless I'm losing my tater, I think I recall some instances where you sounded like a pscates "echo chamber" on this particular topic. I know I've heard you take Apple to task for their marketing.

Then again, maybe that was NittanyLion, Macintosh or your now-banned Nova-based alter ego? I can't keep up with all you guys...

It's too jarring how you veer from "perpetually almost banned" wrench-in-the-works one day, to such a serious, know-everything Arbitor of All Things Apple a few days later, soundly castigating everyone for "not getting it". I can't make that leap...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-08-29 at 20:55.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 20:50

Quote:
Heavens, you're right. Where would I ever get such an idea...

Unless I'm losing my tater, I think I recall some instances where you sounded like a pscates "echo chamber" on this particular topic. I know I've heard you take Apple to task for their marketing.

Then again, maybe that was NittanyLion, Macintosh or your now-banned Nova-based alter ego? I can't keep up with all you guys...

People change their minds, when they realize the truth especially.

Stop jerking around by side-stepping the facts and read a little bit, maybe?
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-08-29, 20:54

Quote:
Look at the number of Mac freak sites there are, compare that to the amount of Dell Insiders and Dimension Secret sites there are....
That's not the result of marketing - that's evanglization. The onus of creation and momentum there is borne by Apple users, not Apple the corporate entity nor its marketing division.

Quote:
Apple does a damn good job of marketing. Look at the brilliance of their iPod advertising, their Quicktime promo videos, their billboards, and their Apple Stores. They do a tremendous job....NewsWeek, Time, Business Week covers....amazing.

Been watching the music award show tonight? Millions of people have, and in doing so they have seen iPod commercials.
The exception that proves the general rule, IMHO.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-08-29, 20:59

Quote:
Me too. Then again, you all knew where I stand on this particular issue, huh?
What do you mean 'scates? You don't like apple marketing? I'm not sure how to feel about that, I've always kinda figured you as a stead fast faithful of it. Care to explain, since I've never ever read anything negative from you on the topic?

I'm not sure I can put enough to describe it.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 21:00

You know Apple is doing something right when Puff Daddy attends the VMAs with a diamons encrusted iPod.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2004-08-29, 21:04

Quote:
And another thing about your assbackward POS post: since when is advertising supposed to TELL people what your stuff does? Print ads do that.
So t.v. ads aren't advertising?

And as I recall your earlier post praising Apple's marketing, you made no distinction between print and tv ads. You said Apple's marketing is brilliant. You didn't distinguish between the two.

Quote:
TV ads are meant to SHOW the product and say a couple important words about it such as, "For Mac and PC," and also possibly list the price.
And what t.v. ads are you talking about? The iPod ads? What else is there? It takes real brilliance to hype an already hyped product. BTW, I'm not knocking Apple's iPod campaign. I don't think it's the greatest in the world but it's not bad. Far far from brilliant when coupled with Apple's other, non-existent advertising.

Quote:
Ads are meant to peak the curiosity of those who are interested in the subject at hand, or to fuel the hype of a product that is already ubiquitous.
Marketing major, are you? What about how bad apple.com is? Gimme a break, man. Lay off the kool aid. We all know how great Apple stuff is, but the vast majority of people don't. Advertising is, above all, about getting people to know about your products. Apple fails miserably in that regard.