Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Admin Culling

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Admin Culling
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
TassieApple

2006-07-28, 02:24

Well This is my first post and probably my last.

I have been viewing these forums for several weeks now and I have oberved that there is a specific Moderator I want mention any names , who seems to keep locking out forums and shooting down certain members comment's that don't fit into their own personal veiws or opinions.

Well in My opinion these acts are gutless, wether you agree or disagree with certain forums or comments everbody has the right to their opinion, If I'm wrong then please comment but what ever you do don't cut down forums or member's out of their right to voice opinions.
mAZdA

2006-07-28, 02:28

I couldnt agree more TassieApple, I have been here only a short time but the way in which individuals comments are shot down because they are either, what some people believe are "unrealistic" or "just plain stupid". What is the point of having a place to express our views thoughts if we are going to be made to feel inferiour or stupid because we have had a go and got what we thought out there for others to read

Bah™... thats my opinion

I require a window seat and an inflight Happy Meal, and no pickles! God help you if I find pickles! -Stewie Griffin
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-07-28, 02:46

Guys.. Best thing to do is PM that mod or admin, or any other mod or admin.
Perhaps you can then get an explanation of the reasons for actions you don't understand, or discuss this issue with them directly. Try to make your PM polite, and explain clearly and politely your issues..

I am glad you have not named names, as that is unacceptable in any case.
If you read the member guidelines you will see the correct procedure to use in the event of a problem with a forum member, admin or not.

I can tell you that you won't get very far by starting a thread like this and trying to drum up support for your grievance that way..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
TassieApple

2006-07-28, 03:06

I just find it frustrating that little defenseless members get trashed.

Every opinion has merit.

Scratt I will take your advise and look at other avenues to approach these issues.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-07-28, 03:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieApple
I just find it frustrating that little defenseless members get trashed.
You need to get yourself a stash of compromising, or embarrassing, pictures of all the mods and admins and then you'll find your posting freedom is increased!

But seriously, sometimes the nuances of the humour and rules here can be a little hard to grasp.. Give it a few weeks and see how it goes..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-07-28, 04:07

Who would like to place money on theses two members being the same person?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you don't like a forum, don't go there. It's real simple.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-07-28, 04:17

Quite possible..
But hey, no point not being charitable..

I am getting pretty sick of Brad being a big bossy overlord anyway!
He's just totally out of control!!

CrackerJack

Send a message via MSN to CrackerJack Send a message via Yahoo to CrackerJack  
2006-07-28, 04:42

I am a member of several forums. I also sometimes find it hard to understand when mods lock-down a thread.

But the thing is, we are just members of that forum and the mods are there to keep things in-line. They set-up a forum and they also set the ground rules. And those rules are not written in stone, thus, can be revised by the owners or moderators as they deem fit.

I treat it this way. It's like going into your relative's house. You are always welcome because you are a member of the family. Nobody will question your presence at anytime of the day or night, but you have to keep the place clean. You can raid the fridge or the pantry, but you have to think of leaving food for the rest of the household. You can make yourself feel-at-home, but you also have to make sure that you are not disrespecting the real owners of the house with your actions. They may give you your own room, and let you invite your friends over, but you can't have a 'mini' party just because you or your friends want to.

Just like anybody who is not in his own house, it's either we abide by the rules of the place or we can set-up our own where we can do as we please.

Last edited by CrackerJack : 2006-07-28 at 10:14.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-07-28, 05:58

If you are a member of other forums, you may notice that there is a lot of junky threads lying around. Although you may find it a bit of a culture shock that this is more "strict" than other forums, it is purely because it makes it easier for everyone.

You will notice I'm sure that when any mod or admin locks a thread, he will provide a quote or recap of posting rules/guidelines- often it is new members that are penalised because they simply have not digested the guidelines properly before posting.

You will also find that peoples opinions aren't belittled, but in the case of members such as Gregg, whose thread was locked, and then he started a thread abusing admins, that this is looked on more seriously.

Although, noone is forcing you to stay here.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-28, 06:48

Can we proceed to post funny pictures now that we pretty much know at least two at least two of the accounts posting in this thread are the same person?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-07-28, 06:50

Tis true. You've never seen me and Scratt in the same room, have you?

But seriously, I wonder if he was good enough to use 2 IP addresses, or posted both from the same one? I'm guessing: B.

Last edited by Bryson : 2006-07-28 at 08:20.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-07-28, 07:02

They locked how many threads, you say?

I'll lock your thread, Gregg!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-28, 07:25

TassieApple has been permanently panned banned for breaking the following rule:

Quote:
Do not register multiple posting accounts for the purpose of justifying yours or others' discussions, to attempt to circumvent administrative actions, or for any other reason without the direct approval of an administrator. This offense will result in a ban at the IP level.
To mAZDa: do not do this again or we will enforce your ban to the fullest extent.

As for the rest of the post, it would do you well to read the Posting Guidelines. That page outlines our accepted practices and policies at AppleNova. If you disagree with them so strongly, go find a different forum. No one is forcing you to stay here.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-07-28, 07:27

Doh!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-28, 08:16

Time for some popcorn and beer.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-07-28, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
TassieApple has been permanently panned for breaking the following rule:

I call Freudian Slip.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-28, 08:55

Oops, guess this thread turned into TassieApple culling instead.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-07-28, 09:03

Well, if the dupe account belonged to Gregg I find it amusing because according to hime the "Does xxx shave his balls? Does Brad?" thread was started by someone else using his login. Reading the recently closed thread shows maybe that vitriol from last year wasn't from someone 'using his login'. If nothing else this should be remembered in case Gregg says something to this affect if he tries to get unbanned at some point, although I believe the original ban was only temporary.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-28, 09:06

No no, gregg has nothing to do with this.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-07-28, 09:14

My bad, Gregg.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-07-28, 09:49

oOPS! Oh well
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-28, 10:44

Quagmire
meh

2006-07-28, 10:53

If I was an evil little person, I would say Mazda was Applenerd! haha This is so similar to this thread:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=16438

When I saw Mazda agreeing with Tassie, I knew it was him. So predictable.

giggity
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-07-28, 11:00

I can't believe I was nice to 'Applenerd'.
Double Doh!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-07-28, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mADZa
Every opinion has merit.
I hate it when people say things like that. Every opinion does NOT have merit! Many opinions are completely wrong!

"I think anarchy is the best form of government!"

"I think Apple should stop selling hardware and license OS X!"

"I think its a good idea to remove the platters from my hard drive!"

No, those are bad and incorrect opinions, which have excatly zero merit. Sorry!

Why do so many idiots keep popping up and complaining about locked threads?

I've never seen a locked thread I had an urge to post in, unless it was to make fun of the OP.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2006-07-28 at 12:09.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-28, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Oops, guess this thread turned into TassieApple culling instead.
When I first read this thread, I didn't give a lot of thought about the title. I thought the title was a mistake because the only "culling" I've ever known had to do with programming a 3D graphics renderer to ignore surfaces based on their normals' direction.

I decided to look up the regular definition of "culling" and I'm still a bit at a loss for the meaning of the title.

Quote:
(Fishing) Refers to releasing a smaller fish when you have a limit and have now caught a larger fish that will weed out one of the smaller ones. "This big fish will cull that small one" is a phrase heard on The Bassmasters TV show often.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-28, 17:39

I think I heard that term used for cutting off fats or removing unwanted bits from meat. *shrugs*
Is it 1981?

2006-07-28, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
When I first read this thread, I didn't give a lot of thought about the title. I thought the title was a mistake [...] I decided to look up the regular definition of "culling" and I'm still a bit at a loss for the meaning of the title.
Really? Don't know why I was surprised when I read that. Well without wanting to sound patronising, culling is something to do with killing a large number of [whatever]. Debates about whether badgers should be culled to control their population are reasonably common-ish here in ze UK.

I'm sure the Dictionary widget'll give a more precise definition.

Admin culling. Some kind of political/ social statement/ call to arms?

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-07-28, 17:51

"A selective slaughter of wild animals."

*my italics.

And I thought Murbot was the only one to have gone feral on us.
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-07-28, 17:51

Culling as far as I understand it refers to killing weaker members of a herd or school as to reduce the chance of undersirable breeding as to improve the following generations. But I could be wrong. I don't think he was trying to kill any of you.

EDIT: I have also heard of it used in relation to population control.