Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

G4 iBook 1ghz

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
G4 iBook 1ghz
Pastorious

2004-10-13, 10:30

Hi there,

Just wondering if many people have suffered problems with their iBooks after 1 year?.

Am I to prepare myself for the worst?

Pastorious
-m2-

2004-10-14, 16:34

I have one of the first G4's and have had zero issues with it, but since they have only been out one year, I don't think anyone can answer your question. I guess I'm an optimist as when an Apple guy phoned last night with a 'last call' to get Applecare, I declined.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-10-14, 19:29

For a laptop I would have gotten the Applecare. Such an investment to go unprotected.
the_snitch

2004-10-15, 03:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
For a laptop I would have gotten the Applecare. Such an investment to go unprotected.
Ive thought alot about applecare for my ibook g4, but i end up pulling all my tech toys apart after a max 3 months so they are always void anyway.
Ive already pulled my ibook 800 g4 apart to install a new HD, and ive only had it since february or so.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-10-15, 05:38

Well, if yours has been safe for a year, I'd expect it to be pretty good. My G3 800 is going to the shop one last time (something like the 4th time now in its 20-month lifespan for the same video issue). If anything's wrong after this attempt, even if it's not video related, it's getting replaced (I know, I'm being REALLY patient).
Pastorious

2004-10-19, 05:47

Hi \/\/ickes,

What exactly do you get with the Applecare?. I was given the G4 as a bonus. I picked what I wanted installed at the manufacturing stage. Because this was purchased by the companies credit card I don't actually have a receipt. Do you have to have the receipt for the applecare service?.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-10-19, 05:59

i havent heard of any problems with the G4 ibooks, but my g3 one died and i have been worried since then to get another one.
StevesMom

2004-10-19, 07:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorious
Hi \/\/ickes,

What exactly do you get with the Applecare?. I was given the G4 as a bonus. I picked what I wanted installed at the manufacturing stage. Because this was purchased by the companies credit card I don't actually have a receipt. Do you have to have the receipt for the applecare service?.
You just need the serial number if it was an apple.com manufactured machine, and the machine needs to be in-warranty. AppleCare basically adds home pick-up to the warranty and extends it to 3 years, rather than the 12 month return-to-base warranty you get as standard.

AppleCare has always given excellent service for me in the UK. I view it as an essential insurance policy for any new Apple purchase.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-10-20, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
i havent heard of any problems with the G4 ibooks, but my g3 one died and i have been worried since then to get another one.
My G3 iBook just got back from the shop today (on its 4th logic board now), and they tell me that if anything goes wrong with it -- anything at all -- they'll replace it outright with a brand spankin' new G4 model.

That'll be good, because I haven't heard anything bad about the G4 models, either (at least not in terms of their video).
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-10-20, 17:54

i'd unzip and take a leak on it at that point if i thought they wouldn't find out.