Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Migrating to new MBP w/ new iPhoto

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Migrating to new MBP w/ new iPhoto
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-09-10, 08:44

I'm getting my new MBP today (finally!), and after a clean install of OS X (I never use the factory install -- there's just too much crap on it), I'll be using the migration tool to copy my data over from my current MacBook. I currently have iLife 06, and therefore iPhoto 6. I'm 99% sure that my MBP will have iLife 08 (I ordered it the day before iLife 08 was released, but it just shipped last week).

That being the case, should I expect to have any problems with transferring my iPhoto library (1,999 photos) over to the MBP, or should it just import everything into the new iPhoto cleanly?

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-09-10, 08:49

The first time I opened iPhoto '08 it adjusted my iPhoto 6 library to work with the new version. Took about 10 seconds. I don't see why it'd be any different.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-10, 09:10

Keep in mind that you'd still have the "backup" on your MacBook in case something goes wrong. Like jdcfsu, I'd expect it to work just fine.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-09-10, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Keep in mind that you'd still have the "backup" on your MacBook in case something goes wrong. Like jdcfsu, I'd expect it to work just fine.
Right. I'm not planning to wipe my MacBook until I know everything is working 100% correctly on the MBP. Hopefully it goes as well as you said.

I'm doing the transfer over Firewire right now. Hopefully it won't take as long as it says it's going to. I want to play with my new toy! (Then again, I'm transferring about 20 GB of data, so I expect it to take some time.)

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-09-10, 15:23

My first post from the MBP!

It's up and running (obviously), and the iPhoto transfer went fine. Even my photo books (which I was really, really worried about) transferred beautifully.

It's amazing how much faster this machine is than my MacBook (current base model MBP vs. original base model MB).