AppleNova Minecraft Server 2024 Edition

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server 2024 Edition
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-01, 12:39

** (This post will be edited as new bits emerge/change) **

As time allows, I will begin working toward a new MineCraft server to replace the one Turtle used to host. I have a bit of learning to do, and some setup to deal with, but I'm working on it slowly but surely. I've set up three servers on my local network over the past few years, so I have a general understanding of the functionality, but, as I said, I have some learning to do, especially as I have only had to manage two players and Whitelisting and other security elements have never been a concern.

For all who are interested, please leave your comments/suggestions so that, over the next few weeks, we can narrow down what we want our new world to look like. Once we narrow a few things down, I will stick this thread to replace the old server details thread, as those are no longer in use.

Here is the initial outline for the new AN MC Server:

Cost:
I want it to be free to all AN players, and will work toward this.

Name:
Undecided at this point, but I'm sure we'll think of something!

Administrators:
Kscherer will be one (going to be necessary if I'm hosting); I will ask Turtle, as he has done it before; Brad if he's interested; 709 if he's interested, as he has more experience playing than any of us. Don't know how many we need, but it seems like we had two on the old server (Brad and Turtle?)

Server IP Address:
TBD

World seed:
This seed is on an island a fair distance from land. It has a very nice cherry orchard and is reasonably large (enough so that there are ample resources for initial resource gathering), and it is surrounded by a large number of biomes, although you have to travel over water a ways to get to them.

GameMode: Survival
There will be some Creative "cheats" in use, one of which will be a community chest with some good picks (you don't have to use them). Also, a centralized Command block hub will be built rather than a Nether hub (far less hassle, resources, noise, visual mess, and the Nether will remain pristine — and 709 is sick of building Nether hubs … as am I — been there, done that).

Spawn:
We will all spawn on the main island. No construction projects permitted. 709 has graciously built an awesome "survival cabin" for the sake of "day-one safety" and a grain field — completely fenced and well-lit. A community chest with picks and shovels has been provided so we don't have to tear the island apart looking for day-1 resources.

The spawn island is actually quite large and hosts multiple biomes, so there is some early exploring available without leaving the island. Please don't tear the place up. There are ample available resources across the sea.

A Command Block will teleport to the main community hub somewhere on the island at some point (once we know where that will be).

Community:
Once we find an appropriate spot, a "community" will be designated for common construction projects.

Sprawl:
Outside of the island and central community, build what you want where you want.

Mining:
Once we find suitable locations, we will establish a sand and clay mine (and place command blocks). These are the two biomes that get mined in a fashion that destroys the visual beauty of the map, so the old mining rules apply.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-02-18 at 01:12.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-02-01, 13:00

I can finally become a YouTube star!!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-01, 13:07

Record everything, Drew! You never know when a Creeper will give you your fifteen minutes of fame.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-01, 14:45

I'm in for it! Not sure how much I'll play given my time. However, I'll be happy to help run it if you would like.

The old server ran with just me and Brad. By the end, it was mostly me. I didn't do any mods, that was all Brad. I just ran the services and VM itself.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2024-02-02, 10:23

I think I might be in for it.

Can I suggest a slight modification to the rules re: Spawn island? That eventually, once established, we build a pleasing "safety cabin" or two on the island and not permit anything else. I'm worried we'll end up with many ugly cabins.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-02, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Can I suggest a slight modification to the rules re: Spawn island? That eventually, once established, we build a pleasing "safety cabin" or two on the island and not permit anything else. I'm worried we'll end up with many ugly cabins.
709 is a master of such things!

And, I agree.

Within that "community", we should also build/plant something like 4 9x9 grain fields. Rules could be "You can harvest one field, and then replant". One thing I've discovered on these islands: Not much food! So, you spend a lot of time "fishing*".

* Code for "swatting salmon with a stone sword"

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-02-02 at 12:06.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2024-02-02, 14:48

The cabins could have underground dormitories with a reserved bed for each registered player.
¡Damned!

2024-02-07, 13:39

Quote:
Can I suggest a slight modification to the rules re: Spawn island? That eventually, once established, we build a pleasing "safety cabin" ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
... we should also build/plant something like 4 9x9 grain fields. ...
Quote:
The cabins could have underground dormitories with a reserved bed for each registered player.
I had some time to kill so I put together a Spawn Lodge on the island and incorporated the two suggestions above. 4 9x9 wheat fields with a nearby barrel for extra seeds/hoe, and below the cabin are 8 dorm rooms. We could expand on that number but I figure they'd be released once the player finds a permanent residence. The dorms are pretty bare bones – 3x5 rooms with just a chest in the middle and a bed inside.... but that's kinda the point of starting from scratch, yes? A bonus from putting the dorms underneath was that I bumped into a cave system (and then another), so I build a stairway – again, bare bones – down that has a few exit points into caverns. The caverns are all unlit save for a few torches at the exit points, so we'll have to do what we usually do when lighting caves: push Drew out in front and run the other way when he gets et.

When it comes near time to launch I'll send you the .mca file, kscherer. Nothing else is touched besides that tip of the starting isle, so it should be as pristine a start as me building it in-game (without all the resource gathering).

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-07, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
When it comes near time to launch I'll send you the .mca file, kscherer. Nothing else is touched besides that tip of the starting isle, so it should be as pristine a start as me building it in-game (without all the resource gathering).
You see, this is why I love you!

Give the man a task not even fully settled on and he dives right on in, and it sounds perfect!

I'm hoping to have some time in the next week or so to get cranking!

¡Damned!

2024-02-08, 15:18

The caverns beneath the safe house are pretty exciting – they are vast with lots of exposed ore and a few mineshafts.

One request: Might we have Brad's datapack installed in this world? I tested "AppleNovaBradTextures.1.19a.zip" in the 1.20 world and the recipes work just great (except the shulker box, but that never seemed to work for me). No biggie if not and you want to keep the world vanilla clean, just a thought.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-09, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
One request: Might we have Brad's datapack installed in this world? I tested "AppleNovaBradTextures.1.19a.zip" in the 1.20 world and the recipes work just great (except the shulker box, but that never seemed to work for me). No biggie if not and you want to keep the world vanilla clean, just a thought.
I don't know how to make it work, but I bet Turtle or Brad do.

I have Brad's pack on my main computer at home, and it always loads when I play on our local server. So, it might be that we all need to have his texture pack loaded locally, or if one of them wants to help set it up on the new server, I'm down with it!

I really, really, really, hope to have time this weekend to get started.

I've got some "port forwarding" learning to do, and have to locate the computer where it's in arm's reach of the router — but doesn't piss the wife off!

¡Damned!

2024-02-09, 13:01

The .zip file just needs to be placed in the 'datapacks' folder inside the world folder. Easy peasy! I don't think it works loaded locally... the textures would, but the recipes wouldn't.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-09, 14:48

For the server there are some differences. The hash and the path to the file are added to the server config file. Still easy, but helps ensure no one adds the wrong resource pack to the server.

Here is a random guide on it, though it shows using a remote storage location. It doesn't have to be, it can be on your local server to make it easier.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2024-02-09, 16:40

Interesting – and weird – that "The Minecraft server itself is not capable of hosting the files, and an external location must be used." Never would've guessed that would be the case.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-09, 18:35

We'll get it figured out.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-10, 16:57

Update: I have the computer up and running, although I have yet to connect it to the router. I have Screen Sharing and File Sharing on so I can manage it remotely (in the house, anyway).

Java is installed and MC Server 1.20.4 is installed and the EULA has been set to true, so it's ready for the second launch to build the world. I have not run the server other than that, because I want to get all the server properties settled before we start up.

What are we gonna call this place? Nova Prime?

Also, 709, I'm ready for your .mca file, as well as where it's supposed to go in the server folder.

Here are the bits we need to settle on (I'll edit this post as needed to reflect the final properties). I've set a few of the items already, and they will need double-checking (Turtle?)

I'll also need help determining where Brad's resource pack needs to live on the server and the path to it (as of now, the AppleNovaBradTextures.ZIP file is downloaded and sitting on the desktop).

#Minecraft server properties
allow-flight=false
allow-nether=true
broadcast-console-to-ops=true
broadcast-rcon-to-ops=true
difficulty=easy
enable-command-block=true
enable-jmx-monitoring=false
enable-query=false
enable-rcon=false
enable-status=true
enforce-secure-profile=true
enforce-whitelist=true
entity-broadcast-range-percentage=100
force-gamemode=true
function-permission-level=2
gamemode=survival
generate-structures=true
generator-settings={}
hardcore=false
hide-online-players=false
initial-disabled-packs=
initial-enabled-packs=vanilla
level-name=world
level-seed=-2111445014944430058
level-type=minecraft\:normal
log-ips=true
max-chained-neighbor-updates=1000000
max-players=20
max-tick-time=60000
max-world-size=29999984
motd=A Minecraft Server
network-compression-threshold=256
online-mode=true
op-permission-level=4
player-idle-timeout=0
prevent-proxy-connections=false
pvp=true
query.port=25565
rate-limit=0
rcon.password=
rcon.port=25575
require-resource-pack=false
resource-pack=
resource-pack-id=
resource-pack-prompt=
resource-pack-sha1=
server-ip=
server-port=25565
simulation-distance=10
spawn-animals=true
spawn-monsters=true
spawn-npcs=true
spawn-protection=16
sync-chunk-writes=true
text-filtering-config=
use-native-transport=true
view-distance=10
white-list=true

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-02-10 at 17:12.
¡Damned!

2024-02-10, 17:39

Whoa! Didn't expect this to happen so quickly! I don't know if I'm prepared for a new MC yet!

I PM'd you a download link of the .mca file. Crossing fingers that it works seamlessly.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-10, 17:52

I got your file. MC Server does not store files in the Library (it has its own folder for world files), and the world files have not generated yet as I have not officially launched the server. As soon as we get all the properties ironed out, I can launch the server the "first" time and that will create all the world files. At that point, I suspect there will be something to replace?

Maybe?

¡Damned!

2024-02-10, 18:28

That sounds about right. No regions to replace if there's no world!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-02-10, 18:42

I know some of you don't want to use audio comms, and some of us have rotten connection speeds, but should we discuss a Discord server? I have zero ideas about how that works

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-12, 13:11

Turtle, I was thinking that if you can get me the Server Properties file from the old server, the only thing we should have to change would be the world seed. That might be the best way, since everything was already set up the way we wanted.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-15, 08:37

I'll dig it up. First glance of your properties is good. Lemme see what I can get you...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-15, 09:08

Wow. Apparently I didn't save full backups of everything. I saved the world files, but not the configs. I did save the VM for the MC server though so I'm grabbing it right now and will spin it up and get a copy of the properties for you.

¡Damned!

2024-02-15, 10:06

You are an engaging, cunning, sagacious and unjaundiced man, turtle. We appreciate you.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-15, 10:16

Thanks!

I've PM'd Ken the server properties. I'll also export the whole MC server setup so I don't have to spin up the VM next time.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-16, 23:29

Server is running with Turtle's properties and the right world seed. I also added Turtle's recorded whitelist file and the OP file. I added myself as OP and was able to fly about willy-nilly. It's the right island, and everything looks good.

709, your file does not work. Not sure if that's a server vs. single-player thing, or if I put it in the wrong spot. Turtle, any thoughts? I put his .mca file in the World/Datapacks folder, but his bits don't show up when I log in. He said put the .zip file in there, but it's not a .zip file, but a r.0.0.mca file. It has no affect on the server.

Also, a little help on creating the Start file so I can add it to the login items folder. I'll set the server to restart after power failure so it cranks back up on its own, but I forget how to create the server auto-start.

Server is shut back down until a few more pieces are put in place, then we'll work on the network thing.

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-02-16 at 23:39.
¡Damned!

2024-02-17, 08:48

The .mca file goes into the world's region folder. It may be different for a server setup but on a local machine the path is: Library > Application Support > minecraft > saves > (world name or number) > region

The .zip file containing Brad's textures/recipes is the one that goes into the datapacks folder. [edit]: Or hosted externally, per the discussions above.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2024-02-17 at 09:12.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-17, 12:56

I hunted through the server folder and there were three places where a file called "r.0.0.mca" existed. All three seem to represent different things. I replaced all three and launched the server each time, but there was no change.

I think it might be that single-player and server folders have different locations for the needed file and they may not be compatible?

So, once I get the server online perhaps we can log 709 in with Creative mode on and let you do your thing (again?) if you're open to it. Once that bit is complete, we can get "started"?

Unless anyone knows where to drop that file in the server to make it work.

Also, Turtle's properties seem to reach out to Brad's texture pack the same as the old server, but we won't know for sure until the thing is actually live. I have the texture pack on the desktop just in case.

¡Damned!

2024-02-17, 13:19

DIM-1 > region & DIM1 > region are the Nether and End region folders, respectively – at least on a single-player world. Hopefully T or Brad will chime in to help locate the overworld region folder on a server setup.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2024-02-17, 16:09

Here's a long shot thought: Maybe my spawn hut is interfering with the server properties of 'spawn-protection=16'? It's built pretty close to that general area and may be conflicting with the protected zone, so maybe try setting the protection to 0 and then replace the .mca file?

So it goes.