User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
tech tool pro
cavein

2005-03-27, 23:44

I have tech tool pro and i used it regularly on my powerbook with no problems. I just got a G5 iMac and my iMac will not start up from the tech tool pro start up disc. I've read the micromat site which says there's an update that will work. I downloaded the update but the update only works when techtool is already on the comp. How can i put the edrive on the comp when the computer won't start up from the start up disk? does anyone know how i can get techtool pro working on a G5? i just want to do general maintenance and defrag my comp. Hope someone can help me out with this. thanks!
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-03-28, 00:23

What we do at my work is use one computer to host an image of a standard 10.3 installation, with techtools installed (and a lot of other software too). That way when something needs to be checked we just boot off the network and run the tests.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
cavein

2005-03-28, 00:26

thank you for the quick reply.

i'm able to install it on my G5 and run the tests but to run the actual maintenance parts of tech tool i need to install either the e-drive or boot up from the disk. i'm unable to boot up from the disk on the g5 so i'm also unable to install the e-drive. any ideas for that?
Track_40

2005-03-28, 03:14

Im actually in a very similar situation as you are. I just bought TechTool Pro 4 about 2 weeks ago for use on a brand new PowerBook 1.67. I installed the app, but can't boot off the install disk to setup the eDrive. After speaking with tech support at MicroMat several times, I can't help but feel enraged at their response. Basically, they confirmed that their current version 4.0.3 will not boot the new PowerBooks. But they told me all is not lost. No... For $24.95 (available in their online store), they'd send me a new CD with their latest update that would boot the new PBs. I said... "So let me get this straight. I just paid $90 for your app, part of which you admit doesn't even work with Apple's newest hardware?... There's no disclaimers on the box which indicate the systems it will work with, and still, instead of providing a free update for new registered users, you are going to charge me an additional fee (almost an additional 25% of the original price), just so I can have a fully functional working release???" I don't get it. Aren't I entitled to a fully functional release when I purchase the app? It's not like I bought it back in October, and held onto it until now. I just bought it 2 weeks ago.

Unfortunately, they said there was nothing they could (or would) do. I spoke w/ CDW where I purchased it, and they apologized for the entire incident and, said that even though the box was opened, etc., that they would take the software back. So, that seems like the plan.

Sorry it doesn't really address your issue, and I didn't mean to rant, but I thought you'd be interested to hear how much MicroMat cares about new customers.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-03-28, 03:27

Well if your OSX installations are fully up-to-date you can always just target disk mode the computer that has it installed and tell the other computer to boot of it's drive. That way the local disk can be unmounted and you should be able to do what you want.

cavein

2005-03-28, 03:41

Thanks for your responses. could the person that left the last response explain in more detail what they're saying to do? i'm sorry but i'm just not sure exactly what you mean. thanks so much for your help.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-03-28, 09:35

Ok, Step by not-so-detailed step.

-- Put a computer (that is not the computer in need of the testing) into target disk mode. (hold 't' just after the startup tone)

-- Connect the two computers (one in target disk mode and the other as the one needed to be 'fixed') with a 6 pin firewire cable.

-- the computer in target disk mode will look like a firewire drive to the other.

-- reboot the other (not the target disk mode computer) and hold down the option key, this will pull up a menu to boot from.

-- Boot off the firewire disk shown

-- now you will see the other computer's desktop and your local drive mounted. Unmount your local disk.

-- run tech tools and anything else you need.

Hope that helps.

Dave J

2005-04-05, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_40
No... For $24.95 (available in their online store), they'd send me a new CD with their latest update that would boot the new PBs. I said... "So let me get this straight. I just paid $90 for your app, part of which you admit doesn't even work with Apple's newest hardware?...
It's policies like this that fuel software piracy. Total BS.