Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 3 of 103 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-04-10, 00:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Yeah man, I've been looking forward to this one for a long time.

It's on my To Do list for next week.
After seeing that old thread I was reminded of my desire to see 'Snakes On A Plane' when it comes out. Even though I have a somewhat irrational fear of snakes, that movie just sounds too funny to miss. And seriously, any movie where a character is named 'iPod Girl' has got to be good, right?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-04-10, 05:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
After seeing that old thread I was reminded of my desire to see 'Snakes On A Plane' when it comes out. Even though I have a somewhat irrational fear of snakes, that movie just sounds too funny to miss. And seriously, any movie where a character is named 'iPod Girl' has got to be good, right?
Is 'Snakes on a Plane' real? I saw the interview and was not sure.

And recently the things on You Tube have made me think perhaps it was just a joke...

On another note I am looking forward to Scary Movie (whatever the number is). The scene with 'MJ' in is just so cruel it's hilarious!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-04-10, 05:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Is 'Snakes on a Plane' real? I saw the interview and was not sure.

And recently the things on You Tube have made me think perhaps it was just a joke...
Yes, unfortunately, it is very real.

Wikipedia Article
IMDB Page

The Wiki article is really good. It gives the background and everything from the internet Lore to studio happenings.

Edit: Oh, and here's the Official Site.

Logo Bandwidth now stolen from there

Last edited by Majost : 2006-04-10 at 05:57.
¡Damned!

2006-04-10, 09:42

God damn I need that t-shirt.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-04-10, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
God damn I need that t-shirt.
Too bad the image is (probably) copyrighted... it'd be great to throw that onto an AN-sponsored shirt, too.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-10, 11:47

You know what I'm really surprised about?

Here we are, just over two months away from "Superman Returns" (no doubt one of the biggies this summer), and there's NOTHING for it, other than a really skimpy, lame website and a teaser trailer that seems like it's about 4-6 months old.

I fully expected - by this point - to be surrounded by red, yellow and blue...and big red "S" icons everywhere you looked.

Strange.

Maybe it'll all kick in starting in May? The movie opens June 30.

Goodness knows other summer movies (this summer and previous years) have really gone to town on the hype and marketing much further out than this.

But don't worry...six weeks from now I'll start a thread where I'll bitch about the omnipresent "S" logos all over the place, and the general over-the-top Superman hype and hysteria, "before the movie is even released, people.!".

¡Damned!

2006-04-10, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost
Too bad the image is (probably) copyrighted...
I'm sure you're right, but some of those folks at cafepress have no shame.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-04-10, 12:35

I want this on a shirt.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-10, 13:34

I like 'this' design:

http://www.cafepress.com/snakesinadrain.52355371

They're so innocent and sweet-looking.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-10, 13:40

...until they BITE you!

I was watching some show about king cobras on Animal Planet yesterday. Yikes...that kinda stayed with me throughout last night.

I'm used to snakes that large and thick being NON-venomous (constrictors, pythons and anacondas).

But when you get something 12-15 feet long, AND it's poisonous as can be...

That's just too much to deal with.

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-04-10, 14:09

This is reminding me of a gift I got my sister for Christmas years ago, when we still lived at home. It was a Bed Snake Bat. Had these cool instructions on how to hit a bed snake, tricks they'll use to try and "bite" you, and how sometimes if you're lucky you'll find a couple of eggs along with the bed snake (and you should kill those too).

Of course it didn't work too well. My parents let her boyfriend live in the basement for a while (long story) and he knocked her up.

If only she hadn't lost the bat...

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-10, 14:23

Well, speaking of cobras...

Actually, Paul, I'm not really afraid of snakes at all. I mean, of course wrt the poisonous ones, I regard them with a healthy respect, and I keep my distance; but I'm not afraid of them the way some people are.

My ex-husband was/is an electrical engineer in research and development (back then, aerospace; now, biomedical). But on the side, he was good friends with a biology professor from our university who was a herpetologist. They would go out into the wilds looking for snakes to capture for the university biology dept.

Anyway, my ex spent a few months traveling in Asia, and at the request of his professor friend, he sent back a bunch of snakes. We had them in our apt. for a while, in various aquarium-type glass cages.

IIRC, we had a bamboo viper, a leaf-nosed viper, a nine-foot reticulate python, a puff adder, and a brown spitting cobra. *In* our apt., in glass cages. This did not bother me in the least.

In fact, I had to drive on our motorcycle to the south part of the city to a chicken farm, buy two young roosters (alive), which I carried in a paper bag attached to the back of the bike. When I got home, I had to dump them, one at a time, in the cage with the python, and he would proceed to do his python constriction activity on the poor creatures. It was pretty awful.

That python always had the most malevolent look on his face. He had a 'really' bad personality, and he would pack his water bowl with his 'excretory products', as if to say to me "Howd'ya like *that*, bitch!?"

So, anyway, snakes don't bother me. If you hold one, the skin is cool, smooth, and clean. Little snakes are really quite cute.

I personally *do*, of course, prefer puppies, kittens, and soft, cuddly pets like that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-10, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Anyway, my ex spent a few months traveling in Asia, and at the request of his professor friend, he sent back a bunch of snakes. We had them in our apt. for a while, in various aquarium-type glass cages.

IIRC, we had a bamboo viper, a leaf-nosed viper, a nine-foot reticulate python, a puff adder, and a brown spitting cobra. *In* our apt., in glass cages. This did not bother me in the least.
That's because you're completely insane, apparently.

Ohmigosh, there is NO WAY I could ever do that. Even thinking about it makes me shiver and feel all fidgety/tingly.

They make movies about stuff like that, you know?

Glass cage, my ass...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-10, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
That's because you're completely insane, apparently.

Ohmigosh, there is NO WAY I could ever do that. Even thinking about it makes me shiver and feel all fidgety/tingly.

They make movies about stuff like that, you know?

Glass cage, my ass...

BUT, Paul, I *can't* see myself holding a tarantula in my hand anytime soon, for example, or letting it walk up my arm. They jump, don't they? Nope, not if they jump. No way, Jose!

But I *have* held little jumping garden spiders in my hand. They are pretty cute, really. So compact and abundantly supplied with eyes. hee...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-10, 14:54

Quote:
...and he knocked her up.
I guess that makes you "Uncle Murbotsky" then, does it?

Or maybe not.
¡Damned!

2006-04-10, 14:54

I so badly want to make a slithery 'Scates on a ..... quip here, but I can't think of anything that has to do with snakes or rhyme with plane.

I suck.

So it goes.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-04-10, 14:59

Speaking of Snakes on a Plane, is there a motherfuckin' trailer that's not in motherfuckin' flash? The YouTube trailers I've been finding won't play. Anybody have it in quicktime format or anything else? I haven't even seen a trailer yet, but I have to see this movie.

EDIT

Nevermind, I found one that actually plays here

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

Last edited by Wyatt : 2006-04-10 at 15:09.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-10, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
I so badly want to make a slithery 'Scates on a ..... quip here, but I can't think of anything that has to do with snakes or rhyme with plane.

I suck.
Naw, you don't suck, 709.

Hey, it's *Monday*, for crying out loud!

Whatd'ya expect on a Monday... creativity?

Nup, nup, ain't gonna happen.

I can't think of anything either.

Or maybe... "Pscates in a drain"? hahaha Nah. Sheesh.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-10, 15:25

You'll chuckle - and thank me - eventually.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-10, 16:08

heh

If I weren't so tired from lack of sleep (like a fool, I drank a strong latte during intermission at the theater last night ), I'd try to come up with a story to go with that image.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-04-10, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
I guess that makes you "Uncle Murbotsky" then, does it?

Or maybe not.
Actually, I was Uncle God until their oldest was about 6.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-10, 16:26

Quote:
Actually, I was Uncle God until their oldest was about 6.

And 6 is the cut-off age for hero-worship, is it?

("Damn, why is Uncle Murbeau acting like a jerk? He was always SO cool before!")
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-04-10, 16:28

No, there is still hero worship. Their parents started taking them to church though, so the Uncle God thing was phased out.

A damn shame.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-04-10, 18:41

How very flattering, Windswept! I should return the compliment, as I also enjoy your posts and usually give them extra attention.

24 Hour Party People is on my list to snag if I get the chance, but I haven't had that chance yet. And I've never even heard of Horseman on the Roof! Sorry. Though I rate Juliette Binoche as one of the best female actors of the last couple of decades, so I'll probably hunt it down too at some point.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-11, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
How very flattering, Windswept!
If others here haven't said the same, it's because they're *guys*, and less likely to part with compliments than I.
Quote:
24 Hour Party People is on my list to snag if I get the chance, but I haven't had that chance yet. And I've never even heard of Horseman on the Roof! Sorry. Though I rate Juliette Binoche as one of the best female actors of the last couple of decades, so I'll probably hunt it down too at some point.
Well, it's a (1995) French film with English subtitles - Hussard sur le Toit.

Quote:
In 1832, cholera ravages Provence (South of France). After several misadventures, Angelo, young Italian officer hunted by the Austrian secret police, meets Pauline de Theus, a young lady. After a second accidental meeting, both will start the search for Pauline's husband in a chaotic country.
http://www.impawards.com/1996/horseman_on_the_roof.html

http://imdb.com/title/tt0113362/

The movie's not too bad, but the scene in front of the fireplace is definitely... uh... "memorable", especially if you like Juliette Binoche. Full body massage (nude) to revive her back to consciousness.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-04-11, 13:27

Did a search of this thread and saw no mention of "The Matador". This movie was released late 2005, starring Pierce Brosnan, Greg Kinnear, and a bunch of people I haven't really seen in movies before.

Pierce plays a strung out "facilitator of fatalities" in Mexico City on a job. He runs into a guy who's there do sales pitches for his company. The two get drinking and talking and ... well, check out the movie.

I thought it was a great post-James Bond bounce back movie for Pierce as he gets to play a gritty, drunk, cursing kinda bad guy. The writing for this movie was good IMO, although the plot gets muddy in a couple places. Definitely a good comedy film, IMO.

Rotten Tomatoes has a 75% rating for this film, if that matters to anybody. This is the only movie I've seen in a theater this year and it was definitely worth the reduced price AAA movie tickets.
¡Damned!

2006-04-11, 13:33

I liked it.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-11, 21:53

Hey, 709, the scene where Brad Pitt turns into a vampire is incredible.

Three seconds of film that I'll never forget in my entire life.

You should see the movie just for that.

Oh, and 'the' scene with Brad and Antonio Banderas...

I wouldn't have missed 'that' for anything. Teehee

(Oops. Edit. Brad, not Tom. Spaced out. *sigh* )

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-04-12 at 13:09.
¡Damned!

2006-04-11, 22:00

Um...I've got 4 words for you there love:

Cruise. Pitt. Banderas. Together.

Thanks, but I think I'll pass.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-12, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Um...I've got 4 words for you there love:

Cruise. Pitt. Banderas. Together.