User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

The rumored PowerPC 750VX

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The rumored PowerPC 750VX
unixguru

2004-09-10, 16:54

So does our source of new CPU information know anything about this supposed 750VX, rumored to have speeds of 1.4Ghz+ and VMX? I'm interested to know what the pinout is -- does it still use a 292-pin CBGA and does it support a 60x bus?
stoo

2004-09-10, 18:27

I'd be surprised if it was still using the 60x bus at 1.4GHz, especially with Altivec and its monstrous hunger for bandwidth.
unixguru

2004-09-10, 19:39

Well I think Moto's G4's still support 60x (as well as MPX), but I'm not sure...
Snoopy

2004-09-10, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixguru
So does our source of new CPU information know anything about this supposed 750VX, rumored to have speeds of 1.4Ghz+ and VMX? I'm interested to know what the pinout is -- does it still use a 292-pin CBGA and does it support a 60x bus?

I read that Apple cancelled the Mojave project at IBM several months ago. I haven't heard any more about it since then.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2004-09-11, 00:40

Currently I don't see the interest of this chip anymore.

Both the Imac and the powermac have G5
The emac, the powerbook, and the Ibook have G4.

Faster G4 are on the way, with clockspeed up ot 2ghz with the 90 nm process . Dual core G4 are currently in phase of developpement, and will give a huge speed bump. The dual core G4 chip will have an internal memory controller. I wonder if the same feature will be implemented with the 90 nm G4 : I fear it's not the case.

Powerbook G5, will be possible when IBM use 65 nm process, or if IBM use the lowk dielectric tecnology and the Strained SOI tech on their 90 nm process (it will allow to have lower voltage and lower wattage chip). The other option will be the dual core G4. The mystery of the future of the powerbook is still open
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2004-09-11, 17:15

Quote:
So does our source of new CPU information know anything about this supposed 750VX
Woah, who dug up this corpse? It there something new I've missed? Talking about pin count when we havn't heard anything about VX in about a year.. Geez!
Morpheus

2004-09-13, 02:41

Quote:
Rubish...

Morpheus
unixguru

2004-09-14, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriok
Woah, who dug up this corpse? It there something new I've missed? Talking about pin count when we havn't heard anything about VX in about a year.. Geez!
I'm not really expecting Apple to use this in an upcoming laptop. I wasn't interested in it in that sense. Just remember, IBM sells PowerPC chips to companies other than Apple. The 750 series is a very good embedded processor. So I would assume there will be a successor to the 750GX, which, by the way, Apple has not used in any of their machines.
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2004-09-14, 04:02

Quote:
I'm not really expecting Apple to use this in an upcoming laptop. I wasn't interested in it in that sense.
I'm not really interessted in the processor in that sense either. I have a general interesst in PowerPC processors wheather they go into Macs or not.

Quote:
Just remember, IBM sells PowerPC chips to companies other than Apple. The 750 series is a very good embedded processor. So I would assume there will be a successor to the 750GX, which, by the way, Apple has not used in any of their machines.
Apple went with the G4 which is a capable embedded processor too, quite similar to the 750 in most respects but have a better bus (MPX) and VMX (Altivec). IBM might have scrapped 750VX when Apple said it didn't require it, and the purely embedded market is perhaps so small for two competing processors with similar charachteristics.

There will be a successor to the 750 but in won't be the VX. There have been rumors of a merger of the 400 and 700 cores and a new 300 series targeted the embedded market. No specific rumor regarding these matters have emerged since the "confirmed" axing of the VX a year or so ago. There is indeed a kind of vacuum here which leads me to believe that there is something major at work. For instance, we have yet to see the full scope of "Cell" technology.
Morpheus

2004-09-14, 06:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriok
There will be a successor to the 750 but in won't be the VX. There have been rumors of a merger of the 400 and 700 cores and a new 300 series targeted the embedded market. No specific rumor regarding these matters have emerged since the "confirmed" axing of the VX a year or so ago. There is indeed a kind of vacuum here which leads me to believe that there is something major at work. For instance, we have yet to see the full scope of "Cell" technology.
No, yes, don't know, true, yes, yes

Morpheus