User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Comet Lake-Y and -U, and the Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Comet Lake-Y and -U, and the Mac
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-26, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Now, you could say that my proposed $999 aluminum/three-pound/14-inch-ish MacBook and $1299 two-pound-ish/12-inch MacBook Air scenario is a lot like the 2015-2018 MacBook Air/12-inch MacBook scenario, and the 12-inch MacBook was just discontinued. But I think the difference is one of expectation: in my plan, the 12-inch $1299 model wouldn't be expected to be the new mainstream notebook for all people, like the 12-inch MacBook was.
Sure. (I honestly don't know what Apple was thinking calling it the "MacBook" but having it start at $1,499. Even if Core M / Core-Y had gone up in performance faster than it actually did — say, because of a Cannon Lake-Y that never ended up shipping, and even if they had subsequently dropped the price to, say, $1,199, which seems quite a tall order, it would still have been an oddball product to have as the one mainstream Mac laptop the masses would buy.)

Quote:
I just...I just can't make sense of the new Air, chuck. It's ~90% the weight of a MacBook with a 28W processor, and it has a 7W processor and a fan that is just sort of hanging out off to the side. It just doesn't seem ideal, for like anyone. And Apple's acting like it's the return of the king. I have to hope it's a stopgap and will be a relatively short-lived design.
Then why did you try to have your friend buy one.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-26, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Did you find out too late, or why didn't he just return it within the window?
I didn’t find out he bought the wrong one until he told me his cat chewed the cable and he had to spend $80 on the new one. I was like, “why wouldn’t you just…oh…oh no.”

I haven’t told him I sort of meant the other 13-inch MacBook Air…

And of course, once the cat ate the cable and the silver spoon it became damaged. I guess he could maybe try to return it with the new cable? But the sale on the newer Airs is over now, so it’d be a much bigger outlay…and he’s already kind of irked about the whole thing.

Just gonna let sleeping dogs lie, on that one.

Quote:
(Also, I'm not entirely convinced the new Air is, in all regards, a better product than the old one. Mostly, sure. But it has a weak CPU, weird ports, a bad keyboard, etc. Yes, this has been litigated over and over, but it's plausible to me the new Air would've made him even less enamored with the Mac…)
That’s kind of my thinking, as well. Best not subject him to the new keyboard and honestly it’s not like the new Air is worlds apart in performance.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-26, 15:21

Quote:
Then why did you try to have your friend buy one.
I know you’re joking, but: because it’s a good computer at $799! Better than a used old MacBook with an old battery, anyway. The problem with it is that it’s normally $1099, and the quad-core MBP with better graphics and the Touch Bar and virtually the same weight is $1299. It’s just not a super compelling value, and it should be the best value.

Still, I don’t think it’s like a terrible computer or anything. It’s just a bit…bewildering. Even with this third take on replacing the old Air finally doing the job, I’m still not convinced we’ve reached what is going to be Apple’s laptop story for the next five years or whatever. Stuff is still weirdly in flux.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-26, 15:38

Quote:
I’m still not convinced we’ve reached what is going to be Apple’s laptop story for the next five years or whatever. Stuff is still weirdly in flux.
Right. Which brings us back to ARM Macs. Ugh.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-29, 16:07

Good news! My friend was able to return the MacBook Air, and I never had to tell him that he bought the wrong one. Double win!

It turns out his school gives him a MacBook Pro. Well, not “gives,” he’s required to pay $400 a term to rent it, but you get the picture. A MacBook Pro is supplied. And he found out just in time to return the Air (minus a restocking fee, and minus the $80 for the replacement charger…).

So, uh, if you were waiting with baited breath for the conclusion to that story, there you go.

chucker

2019-08-29, 17:12

That is, in fact, pretty good news.

Is a term a semester, or a year? Kind of not a great deal at $800/yr…
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-29, 17:21

Quote:
That is, in fact, pretty good news.

Is a term a semester, or a year? Kind of not a great deal at $800/yr…
A semester. So no, it’s not a great deal, but that’s (American) college for ya.

At least he didn’t end up with a MacBook Air and a mandatory MacBook Pro rental.

chucker

2019-08-29, 18:20

He did, however, end up with the world’s best keyboard.
chucker

2019-11-13, 07:42

So, it looks like there's a 16-inch MacBook Pro today.

And I'm guessing it won't have a new CPU just yet (probably just higher variants of Coffee Lake Refresh). That — Comet Lake-H — will have to wait until next summer.

Or they screw us over by "downgrading" to Comet Lake-U? Who knows with Apple.