AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple to buy out Disney !! ??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple to buy out Disney !! ??
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-02-26, 13:07

Anal-ist Christopher Whalen opines that it's possible that Apple could make a bid to buyout Disney!

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...&sitei d=yhoo

Personally I think he's on crack, but it's amusing to see one of my favorite rumors from the 1990's with a new twist - it used to be "Disney to buy Apple" but now it's "Apple to buy Disney"
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-02-26, 13:09

Would that be the end of the world as we know it?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-02-26, 13:25

Sad to say, But Apple would have to take out a loan to buy Disney
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-26, 13:30

This is really silly. Apple+Disney would be about as meaningful and stable as AOL Time Warner. I really don't get people's obsession with companies buying each other. Disney do their thing, and Apple something else. What's the point of merging everything into one?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-26, 13:30

I wonder who's paying people like Christopher Whalen to "analyze" the market?

It sounds like a fun job. All you have is to dream up plausible bullshit and make it sound fancy. No drudgery or any kind of *real* work. I think I might apply as a market analyst...

Adamacintosh
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-26, 14:53

No, Apple is not buying up Disney. What is happenning is that Disney is interested in purchasing Pixar for several billion dollars. I'm pretty sure that it will happen, and if it does, then Steve Jobs will be the largest shareholder for Disney, meaning he'll also become it's CEO as well. So basically Disney purchasing Pixar means that Steve will pretty much own Disney. Ironic, huh? lol.

I don't see much bad coming from this. Disney has been losing its touch with me for quite some time now, and I love Pixar, so I look forward to Jobs fixing Disnet for the better. Plus, this would have a major effect on the iTunes video market, seeing as how he wouldn't need to go through all the qualms trying to secure permissions to distribute Disney videos/music through the store. This could mean full length Disney motion pictures. I'd buy all the classics, which are pretty much all I really care for that Disney made. Peter Pan, Jungle Book, etc. I'm still a little kid at heart
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-26, 14:56

Um, Adam...the Disney-Pixar thing is a done deal. And yes, Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder, but that doesn't mean he's the CEO.
Adamacintosh
BANNED

2006-02-26, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Um, Adam...the Disney-Pixar thing is a done deal. And yes, Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder, but that doesn't mean he's the CEO.
Ha. I thought it was done. All the above posts read to make it seem like it's not though. I was wondering about that...

I KNOW it doesn't mean he's the CEO, but I'm saying he should be, and knowing Steve Jobs, I'm sure he would want to be.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-02-26, 15:05

ummmm.... if you're not sure that the Pixar-Disney is a done deal, you probably don't need to be commenting about Apple-Disney speculation.

Did you even READ the linked article?

"Better to keep quiet... than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-26, 15:07

Jobs as Disney CEO pros/cons have been discussed on this site. I'm glad he didn't do it, he would have been spread way too thin, and Disney is such a different company than Apple that it wouldn't have made any sense, anyway. But Apple isn't just Jobs, the fact that Jobs is now Disney's biggest shareholder does not mean that Apple owns Disney or anything. And Pixar is another things altogether as well.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-26, 15:13

One good thing I think Jobs would do would be to make Disney feel like a quality brand again. Disney used to have a "premium" feel to it - but then they started plastering Mickey's face onto toothbrushes for a few cents. I'm sure Jobs could rebuild the brand - it's what he did for Apple, after all.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-02-26, 15:22

This kind of bullshit from Christopher Whalen isn't even funny anymore.

Isn't it amazing that some assholes are making money by spreading shit that most of us even wouldn't dare post in these forums while we're smoking soft drugs in our free time?

The same holds for al the page-hit farms spreading virus alarms, who are en masse citing... computer security firms when commenting on the severity of the flaws! CNET and ZDNet to name just a few.

Don't these guys have a reputation to hold up?

It's so fucking lame...

Last edited by Doxxic : 2006-02-27 at 04:02.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-26, 15:50

Finally, an 'Apple to buy Disney' rumor instead of a 'Disney to buy Apple' rumor! I've been waiting a long time for this.
CoreMac

2006-02-26, 16:32

It's Steve's old Trojan Horse move. It worked with Apple didn't it? Remember Roy Disney and other prominent investors sold their Disney shares because they were unhappy with the leadership. They wanted Steve Jobs. If this were to happen, it would be with their help. The thing to remember is Steve didn't sell Pixar just for the money. In fact, he ended up with Disney shares instead of money. He's got bigger plans. Who know what, but somethings up. Of course I could be just as full of shit as Christopher Whalen.

Guess who I wasn't. ;)
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-02-26, 17:11

*starts singing merrily*

'It's a small world after all...It's a small world after all!'
TednDi

2006-02-26, 22:26

WooT

Stevie Land!!!
ronmexico

2006-02-26, 22:42

I am just waiting for a mockup of the new macbook pro, but instead of a light gray apple logo on the case, its a light gray mickey mouse silhouette...and instead of 'open apple', it's 'open mickey' on the keyboard...
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-26, 22:59

You mean similar to the Mighty Mickey Mouse?
ronmexico

2006-02-26, 23:14

nice...good one
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2006-02-27, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
Sad to say, But Apple would have to take out a loan to buy Disney
Why is that sad? Disney isn't exactly a small company. In fact its quite impressive that Apples market cap is just under 10 billion dollars more than Disney.

Which begs the question could Apple even afford Disney? Even with a Loan? They have about 10 billion on hand.. And Steve owns another 7% of Disney witch is about 3 billion dollars if he was going to some how going to use that for anything

And if they could get Disney through stocks/cash/whatever.. Would it be the smartest thing Apple could do with that much money? I mean sure it gives them ABC and ESPN but with Steve on the board inside Disney now I'm sure he more than has the connections to get ahold of that content with out spending that kind of money anyways. Which I am sure he could have done with out even being in Disney to begin with.

Not only is there no point to it, its only ~18 billion dollars away from being as realistic as Apple buying Dell.

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.
permagenix

2006-02-27, 12:17

If Apple bought Disney (and I can't imagine why they would) it would put a major dent in their content distribution plans. If I'm NBC, do I want ABC (Disney) having control over my content distribution? Of course not. I don't want to be dependant on my competitor for distribution, and I don't want to line his pockets. It would cause all of the non-disney companies to band together around competing standards. "My enemie's enemy is my friend."
TednDi

2006-02-27, 12:20

No, Apple will not buy disney.

Steve will steer Disney to use more of Apple technology.
Itms, perhaps even some enterprise stuff.

Steve may however become CEO of Disney someday.

THAT wouldn't surprise me at all.

Given his ambitions, reputation and total dislike for Eisner.
Ireland
BANNED

2006-02-27, 14:51

Never happen!

Jobs does not want to give the impression he has to many interests, even if it would help apple in the long run!
TednDi

2006-02-27, 15:22

I disagree. Steve has already shown that he can aptly and ably run 2 companies at the same time. For the most part he would delegate aptly. I don't however think that this will occur in the near future.

I think that Apple must first develop its media presence first. Then perhaps he would consider the move.

We all poo pooed the intel switch and look what happened.

We also never thought itunes would be one of the most popular windows programs ever and a killer app. But look what happened.

Steve is full of surprises.
Ireland
BANNED

2006-02-27, 15:49

That he is!

Wait for tomorrow!

I had a dream about an iPod Boombox last night, iv'e had premonitions before that came true!
It burned CD's, streamed music and was WiFi aswell!
rasmits
rams it

2006-02-27, 18:05

I'd vomit up a storm if I saw Mickey Mouse all over Apple.com, really. Disney would cheapen Apple's brand, even if Apple would have to take out a loan to buy Disney.

What a colossally stupid idea, Apple buying Disney...
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-27, 18:08

Has anyone told Mortimer Mouse about this talks? Would like to know what he'd have to say about this.
richardsize

2006-02-28, 01:58

yeah, Apple will buy Disney and then Steve will bring Mickey, Goofy, and the gang to run engineering. It would be an improvement over the current bunch of clowns.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-28, 02:03

Right, because Apple's recent software and hardware offerings have been atrocious.

Wait a minute...
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2006-02-28, 02:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsize
yeah, Apple will buy Disney and then Steve will bring Mickey, Goofy, and the gang to run engineering. It would be an improvement over the current bunch of clowns.
Thats what it is! I knew there had to be some reason why the iPod wasn't selling!