Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Call of Duty 4 ADN...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Call of Duty 4 ADN...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-09, 13:37

Sometime in the next month Call of Duty 4 should finally be released for Mac, after originally being slated for May. Amazon says late September, this site below says August. Guess I'd lean towards September. Amazon is usually fairly close....

http://www.gamespot.com/mac/action/c...are/index.html

Bring it! :thumbsup:

Some specitude:
http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/88

...into the light of a dark black night.
williamb

2008-08-11, 01:03

I play it on my iMac under Bootcamp. It's an awesome game. Why wait for it to be released for Mac? Don't games underperform on macs historically when compared to running them on PCs? Bootcamp.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-08-11, 01:16

Not only that, but it will cost a full $50 to buy it on the Mac platform... yet it's already only about $30 to buy for Windows. It may fall even more not long after it's released for Mac, especially if the next installment of Call Of Duty (World At War) is any good. That one's coming out in November.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-08-11, 09:17

I'd get the mac version just because it'll save me the hassle of rebooting. Once the 3D pass-through in Fusion gets worked out though, I might just use that.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-11, 10:08

I doubt that the bootcamp/Fusion/Parallels setup would run better than the native mac version on the same hardware but I could be wrong.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-08-11, 12:37

Oh, sure it can. It all depends on the quality of the port. Most ported games run slower on Macs because code paths that are fast on Windows are slow on Macs and vice-versa. So to port a game and have it run just as well on a Mac would mean you'd pretty much have to rewrite the 3D engine. Since that's a *lot* more work than just getting it to run, most developers shrug their shoulders and increase the system requirements for the Mac version.

As for Fusion vs Boot Camp, I doubt Fusion will ever be even as fast as Boot Camp, but it's far more convienient.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-11, 13:18

Hmm. Interesting. I've avoided Bootcamp just because I didn't want to mess with the bizarre installation setup (at least it was last time I checked) but maybe it would be worthwhile. Thing is, I play games like that to go online and deathmatch, so that would open my windows partition up to all kinds of viruses and whatever else because I ain't going to start paying $50/yr for virus subscriptions, ad blocker subscriptions, etc. Better to just play on Mac and have none of that to worry about.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-08-11, 13:58

The PC version is better, DirectX is way better than OpenGL 2.0 at rendering.

You don't need to pay for virus protection, just get AVG Free (its free!).
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-08-11, 14:08

I think I'm addicted to CoD 4. It's the only thing that's been in my PS3 for about 3 months
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-08-11, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Hmm. Interesting. I've avoided Bootcamp just because I didn't want to mess with the bizarre installation setup (at least it was last time I checked) but maybe it would be worthwhile. Thing is, I play games like that to go online and deathmatch, so that would open my windows partition up to all kinds of viruses and whatever else because I ain't going to start paying $50/yr for virus subscriptions, ad blocker subscriptions, etc. Better to just play on Mac and have none of that to worry about.
The installation process is a bit weird (thanks to Windows), but it's not too hard so long as you follow the instructions carefully (don't format your Mac partition!!!). The great thing with Bootcamp is that your Windows partition can't see your Mac one, so even if you got a virus, you could just boot up in OS X, re-format the Windows partition, and voila, no more viruses. You might want to back up your COD4 profile though, because it's not kept online like BF2142.

I just use Windows for gaming, that way no big loss if I get a virus (I don't really surf the web in Windows anyway, so there's not much of a risk anyway).

Oh, and COD4 is awesome. I've been playing it in Bootcamp for months and I love it .

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-08-11, 14:33

You're not going to get a virus unless you go to shady websites and start clicking on random links. Mac users don't realize this, they just hear about viruses that affect millions of dumb people who aren't smart enough to not click on email spam.

Don't worry. Really. I've had a Windows machine for seven months and not a single virus or piece of spyware, and I don't even run virus protection software. It's running as well as the day I put it together.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-11, 15:20

Yah but aren't there IP-sniffers out there who look for people on PCs with broadband connections, then because of the crappy MS firewall gain access to their systems and use them for mail-bots or whatever? I dunno. Just seems like a nightmare waiting to happen.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-08-11, 15:21

IP sniffers can hack your Mac (if they know terminal commands) just as they would as a PC. If your router has a good firewall you have nothing to worry about.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-08-11, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
IP sniffers can hack your Mac (if they know terminal commands) just as they would as a PC. If your router has a good firewall you have nothing to worry about.
Something like that happened to me. I was chatting away on MSN on my parents Mac Mini when random DOS commands started appearing in the chat window as if I was typing them. I was freaked out.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-11, 16:59

Stealth mode and Firewall FTW. I just thought the PC firewall was shit / much easier to hack because it's better understood. I doubt many malicious hacker nerds out there are that familiar with OS X' firewall or Terminal commands.

feidhlim1986

2008-08-11, 17:16

Quote:
I doubt that the bootcamp/Fusion/Parallels setup would run better than the native mac version on the same hardware but I could be wrong.
Playing Civilization 4 on my Macbook in Bootcamp Windows Xp is miles faster than playing the Native game in Leopard.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-08-11, 17:19

Yeah. Fusion/Parallels... no way. But Boot Camp is just booting into Windows natively, as though you're on a PC. No virtualization at all. The performance would be identical to a similarly-equipped PC.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-08-11, 18:12

Civ 4 was so painfully slow on my MBP that I stopped playing it. It was heating up my computer more than COD4 or BF2142 do (in Windows) on fairly high settings.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-11, 18:21

Good call guys. I guess I'll giv 'er a go then! Once I get my skills in place again (I usually go about 6 months at a time with no games) anyone up for a COD4 death-fest?

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-12, 08:51

Just did some checking on COD4 for PC on Amazon and PriceGrabber. Best price only seems about $5-$10 cheaper than what the Mac version will be. Are you guys buying your wares from shady dealers... like the ones that sell supposedly "full versions" of Adobe software for 1/10 their retail price.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-08-12, 09:57

Actually, yeah, CoD 4 is one of those games that has maintained its value really well. It's a very popular game online and Activision doesn't want to drop the price.

That's been a recent tactic of game publishers. In the past, even just a few years ago, they would sell the game at full retail for only about six months, and then the price would go down to $20 or $30, and used copies would follow suit and hit $10-$15. Great for cheap gamers, bad for publishers. They've finally tried to hit on the idea of making good games and not immediately devaluing them.

You can probably get CoD 4 used for $30 or so, but if you want it new, it'll probably be at least $40. So there's not much price advantage to getting the PC version. The advantage is in the performance, which will likely be better. This isn't WoW - CoD 4 is a demanding game, and good framerates are quite important to gameplay.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-08-12, 12:06

And WoW is made by Blizzard, who I imagine focus more resources on making a good Mac version than other companies might (purely based on my anecdotal experience).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-08-12, 12:13

Quote:
Stealth mode and Firewall FTW. I just thought the PC firewall was shit / much easier to hack because it's better understood. I doubt many malicious hacker nerds out there are that familiar with OS X' firewall or Terminal commands.
From what I've heard Leopard's firewall sucks. XP's firewall is easily broken (you are better off not having it on) and Vista's is actually rather good, but for those who are concerned there are third party software firewalls available for free if you are really worried. In any case, as I said before if you have a good firewall on your router, nothing to worry about.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-12, 13:00

Yah I got the router all secured with teh strong encryption, no broadcast, MAC address filters, etc.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-08-12, 15:16

That's not a firewall, your router should have firewall settings. By default most, if not all, routers have it active anyway. Its the people without routers, directly connected to your modems that get nailed more often than not.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-12, 15:23

Yah. I am pretty sure the Firewall is active too... was just listing a bunch of security measures in place.