MacDebate refugees!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacDebate refugees!
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-07-26, 09:42

If you were a member of MacDebate while it was still active (up until last week), let yourself be seen here.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-26, 09:57

Dare I ask what MacDebate was?

I see from a quick Google search that MacDebate has gone belly up, as you said. Doing a few searches at the Wayback Machine turns up a forum with classifieds, hardware, rumor, and software sections. It looks like a nice place at first glance. Though, the last archive is from April 2003.

Well, whoever you guys from MacDebate are, here's an official welcome to AppleNova. Making a new home on the web can be daunting when you lose your community (as some of us here know firsthand), but I hope we can accomodate you as you find your way.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-07-26, 10:16

Yup -- it was a relatively small bunch of people, but stuff got done. Some of us had been there since the first iBook.

Way back when the iBook showed up on the market, a site called iBookZone popped up, and had a forum section. The iBook-oriented section eventually gave up, and the forums expanded on their own.

Along the way, there had been some wrangling about the site's management, and whether it was being maintained up to standard & hosted properly. That archive, I think, was from the last software upgrade, which itself was probably only the second in its history.

Oh well...

BTW, I was LJordon there. I've just taken to using BarracksSi on the forums I frequent these days (two relating to my car, plus iPodLounge, at least when I stay away from the really dumb posts.. lol).
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-26, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Way back when the iBook showed up on the market, a site called iBookZone popped up, and had a forum section. The iBook-oriented section eventually gave up, and the forums expanded on their own.
The full history is as follows: Some guys down South, I think in Louisiana, set up the PowerBook Zone when they took delivery of their Wallstreet PowerBooks. Originally they only had a sub-domain, then they got a real domain/virtual domain hosting. I'm pretty sure the same guys started iBookZone and MacDebate, but then transfered (partial?) control of those sites to third parties.

The PowerBook Zone site hasn't been updated since June 15. So I imagine those guys are just like Ryan Meader at MOSR, incapable of keeping up their site.

Edit: Did some more digging. "Those guys" is Doug Landry and Delta Design. He did start out in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. But now the bottom of the PBZone site says "Publishing headquarters is located in Washington, DC." He has also let the PowerBookZone.com domain expire.

FWIW.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Spart

2004-07-26, 16:58

So are there only one of you?

All kidding aside, welcome to our lovely little internet home...thing.

Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-07-26, 17:37

Yes, Welcome!

We are happy to have you. . .
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-07-26, 18:00

LOL... just one? Almost -- there's at least one other guy on here.

The thing is, the regular MacDebaters were pretty few in number, especially compared to this place. There were probably between 500-1000 registered members, but it had gotten slow enough that, for example, people would post desktop questions in the Portables section (such was the momentum from its iBookZone days). I would guess that, in the end, there were maybe a dozen active posters. The occasional downtime and backroom political bickering didn't do much to support the longevity of the site, either.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-26, 18:23

Yeah, that happened to another site we all know, the former official ThinkSecret forums. That's where we came in. If you want the whole history head over to the Revolution forum (here on AN, the locked forum at the bottom of the main page.)

So we're happy to have you. Hope you enjoy your stay, and that you like your new home as much as you liked your old one.

Come waste your time with me
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-07-27, 01:39

I am here!!

hehe

so that makes 2 MacDebaters so far here. I have no clue how to get a hold of the others. i haver over 1500 posts in macdebate, and they are now all gone. it was a great place. very small group of close friends like.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-27, 04:34

Welcome!

We know what it is like to take a heave-ho from an old message board ... but in most of our cases this was a voluntary move.

usurp - cool name. If you want, you and BarracksSi should go get yourselves a customary member title before the "free" period expires. Link Look for the thread in the Feedback forum.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
usurp

2004-07-27, 07:41

sounds cool, now if i could only remember what my title was in macdebate... monarch of soemthing... then i would feel back at home
usurp

2004-07-27, 07:49

wow cool!! found a screenshot i took of firefox, and guess whats in the browser! MacDebate! maybe the last picture ever http://unex-t.com/firefox.jpg
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-27, 08:18

Kinda disappointed to note that you don't own an Atari 2600.

... but damn, you do have a fair supply of Macs!
usurp

2004-07-27, 08:58

Coleco had the Turbo racing game with the steering wheel... man we are talking early 80s here you know how much that rocked!!
http://unex-t.com/coleco/index-Pages/Image0.html

i like this forum. friendly people. think i might stick to the General Discussion area for now and then grow out into the other sections. nice place here.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-07-27, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
usurp - cool name. If you want, you and BarracksSi should go get yourselves a customary member title before the "free" period expires. Link Look for the thread in the Feedback forum.
Hmm -- I can't find where to make the change. I don't see anything in any of the sections on the left. Is mine already disabled?
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-27, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Hmm -- I can't find where to make the change. I don't see anything in any of the sections on the left. Is mine already disabled?
He should have just pointed you to the thread where you post in that lets you request a custom title. The link he gave you was to an announcement saying that you will no longer be able to in about two weeks. After that, once you hit 1000 posts, you can do it all by yourself.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...7812#post17812

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
usurp

2004-07-27, 13:52

i just got a blue mini skeleton today in the mail. signed by the creator of the ipod.. Tony Fadell. I am feeling very giddy now but need to figure out how to take my mini apart and swap covers with the autographed one!

http://www.unex-t.com/tonyfadell.jpg

Last edited by usurp : 2004-07-27 at 14:26.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-07-27, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
He should have just pointed you to the thread where you post in that lets you request a custom title. The link he gave you was to an announcement saying that you will no longer be able to in about two weeks. After that, once you hit 1000 posts, you can do it all by yourself.

Hmm...I didn't know that. Here I thought waiting to come up with the perfect title was a good idea? Well better get posting My first 1000...ok 2000 posts at AI were shit, it's not looking better here
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-07-27, 18:28

Only pscates will be self-editing member title under the new rules.
At least he's the closest to that ability with more than 700 posts so far.
<crosses fingers and hopes the change doesn't encourage post count spam as noobs rush to 1k>
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-27, 19:07

You know it's gonna happen. Always has, always will.

Way to encourage it

By the way, this isn't spam...it's uhhh...informative, and uhhh, useful. Sorta
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-07-27, 19:24

I'm not sure if we're clear on the definition of refugees.
Persecuted in their homeland (IP banned might count), or at risk (of privacy loss maybe).
Homeland offline is a tough one to categorize in terms of digital diaspora.

Information migrants (instead of Economic Migrants, the traditional distinction used to return Vietnamese Boat people unwanted in HK who failed the UN refugee process/tests) might include those who chose to move fora due to better content, but weren't "denied status" in their prior board.

Just remember...
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-07-27, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
I'm not sure if we're clear on the definition of refugees.
Maybe "MacDebate Orphans" or, um, "abandon-ees"?

And usurp, how'd you score that autographed mini? Got pics?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-27, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
You know it's gonna happen. Always has, always will.

Way to encourage it

By the way, this isn't spam...it's uhhh...informative, and uhhh, useful. Sorta
So is this.

Actually this is even more pointless since I can edit my title anyway... well, I think so. A few days ago the admins took that ability away from the mods, but I don't remember if they gave it back or not.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-28, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash

yeah - sorry about that ... I was being lazy.
usurp

2004-07-28, 00:56

Barrack, well Tony Fadells name sounded Lebanese, so I contacted him to see if he was. Turned out his dad was Lebanese, so one email to another and I ended up getting an autographed blue mini skeleton.

the guy is seriously cool. he is currently the VP of the ipod division. very down to earth though.

the link to the pic was in my previous post: http://www.unex-t.com/tonyfadell.jpg

BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-07-28, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
the link to the pic was in my previous post: http://www.unex-t.com/tonyfadell.jpg
oh my god... it's true... I AM going blind!!!

usurp

2004-07-29, 01:17

i am getting really used to this place. took me like 2 days to actually get used to things but i have a feeling this will be as good an experience as macdebate was if not better.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-07-29, 02:47

Welcome, guys. There are lots of great people here.

I think you'll love it!
usurp

2004-08-05, 11:29

i miss macdebate
i still have it in my favorites toolbar and check it daily to check and see if it might somehow come back to life.
zoomcookie

2004-08-10, 04:44

Hey Everyone,

I am indeed a refugee of MacDebate. Good to see you made it here Usurp. Hope you are ok. I wonder what the others are up to. I hope they pop up over time.