User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

a strange question...anybody know about Honeymoon Registry programs?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
a strange question...anybody know about Honeymoon Registry programs?
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2008-05-11, 10:05

anybody know about them? anybody use one?

are they useful or are they a scam?

my eldest is getting married next summer and wants to do this instead of a bridal shower...

she doesn't need household items, but she is still a poor college kid so she thinks getting help with a nice honeymoon is better than a few toasters...

any info would be great

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-05-11, 14:42

Oooooohhhh, that kind of honeymoon registry. I thought you were talking about Windows.

I've never set one up, but I've bought stuff from the registry @ <insert store here> before. Seemed to go alright.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-05-12, 10:30

How would it work... people send money to the travel agent?

Or do you just send out a blurb with your invites and say "cash for honeymoon in lieu of toasters"? I suppose that would be OK if you can phrase it so it doesn't seem like bad form. I tend to agree wedding registries are pretty useless though for college-aged couples not as useless because they usually don't have many dishes, towels, etc. For people who get married in their later 20s or early 30s I think it's likely a honeymoon or home improvement registry would be the more useful tactic. But I have no idea how the former works, short of asking for cash. This is the first I've heard of it.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-05-12, 10:44

Go classy. Set up a PayPal account.

Seriously, other than that, I can only think of "Send cash".

Hmm, actually... if they figure out what the total trip is going to cost, and then break it down into neat things, it could come across as cute instead of er, not.

Set up a web page that links to the PayPal account, with line items for things like:

"One day of walking on the beach: $100"

"Our first dinner as a married couple... without everyone else: $150"

"His and hers swim suits (no guarantee they come back): $150"

"SPF45 sunscreen so we enjoy the days afterwards as well: $25"

"A nice bottle of wine to share after a day of hiking: $25"

Then folks can select an item, and be taken to the PayPal page with that amount pre-entered. When it confirms, that item is checked off on the front page. That way folks feel like they got the couple something *specific* instead of just a lump of money.

You could make it kind of fun, I guess, but I don't know of any pre-packaged site that could handle it for you.
veryamusing

2008-05-12, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Go classy. Set up a PayPal account.

Seriously, other than that, I can only think of "Send cash".

Hmm, actually... if they figure out what the total trip is going to cost, and then break it down into neat things, it could come across as cute instead of er, not.

Set up a web page that links to the PayPal account, with line items for things like:

"One day of walking on the beach: $100"

"Our first dinner as a married couple... without everyone else: $150"

"His and hers swim suits (no guarantee they come back): $150"

"SPF45 sunscreen so we enjoy the days afterwards as well: $25"

"A nice bottle of wine to share after a day of hiking: $25"

Then folks can select an item, and be taken to the PayPal page with that amount pre-entered. When it confirms, that item is checked off on the front page. That way folks feel like they got the couple something *specific* instead of just a lump of money.

You could make it kind of fun, I guess, but I don't know of any pre-packaged site that could handle it for you.
+1

I think that's brilliant, Kick!

Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-05-12, 12:37

I have no idea how a 'vacation' gift registry would work, but certainly I have seen many people use general gift registries for weddings, without it being a 'scam' (as you questioned).

Big congratulations to your daughter on the planned wedding g. Eye opening how quickly they grow up. When I first 'met' you online, your daughters were just kids. Now getting married. It hits home because my oldest daughter turns 14 today. Wow.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-05-12, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryamusing View Post
+1

I think that's brilliant, Kick!

Danke, but a few seconds of googling revealed that quite a few others have had a similar thought.

honeymoonwishes.com for one...
sunrain
Veteran Member

2008-05-12, 13:34

Yup, we did that for our wedding. We had a basket at the wedding with envelopes inside labeled (airfare, car rental, dinner in SF, wine tasting in Sonoma, etc.) along with the approximate value of each. People put cash and checks in the envelopes. Worked a charm.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2008-05-12, 15:52

yeah, she knows about those sites...but she asked me to look into them to see if they are worth it, a scam, or just a travel agent site...

basically, are they ok or should they be avoided...

i actually like the "doing it ourselves" path as i figure i can get plane tickets and hotel and all that cheaper than an agent

but maybe it looks better to have an "official" site...and maybe an agent isn't really such a bad thing

i've just always found that i can do a good job myself (usually find nicer hotels and better flights than i've been offered when i check with agents...i also like doing all the internet searching...which is why i was put on this job...the thing is, searching cool hotels and great beaches is a lot more up my alley than looking into wedding registry site...)

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-05-12, 16:20

My friend used a honeymoon registry (i think it was eWeddding, but can't confirm because it ended 6 months ago). the gifts were such that you bought, for example, towels for $10, paid for scuba diving lessons, $100, etc. but you never really buy any of these things through the registry, the items purchased are just generic representations for the dollar amounts you want to gift towards the honeymoon. he & the wifey had no qualms with it, and ended up getting enough for their honeymoon to hawaii.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick