User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Missing a Screen Resolution

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Missing a Screen Resolution
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-11-15, 23:37

So, I've been hacking my iBook to do spanning as well as closed-lid (clamshell) mode. Yes, I know...

This is more of a curiosity question than one of "why doesn't this work".

Anyways, connecting it (with spanning) to a Dell 2005FPW gives me its full 1680x1050 resolution in addition to the internal 1024x768, which given the 16 MB of VRAM is surprising enough, especially since Quartz Extreme appears to stay on.

But, in clamshell mode (i.e. with the lid closed and using an external keyboard and mouse), the same 2005FPW suddenly doesn't allow for a 1680x1050 resolution. It allows for much fewer choices, including 1280x960 and 1280x1024, the latter of which is extremely odd as it actually cuts off some of the borders (despite being a fairly typical resolution). I don't have scaling on, so that shouldn't be happening.

I could easily understand the opposite happening: 1680x1050 not being available while the internal display is simultaneously asking for 1024x768. That would point to a lack of VRAM problem. But that's not what's going on: with the internal display on, I can access the full resolution on the external display. With the internal display off, I cannot.

Any insight on this? Anything I can do to, perhaps, force the resolution? I have tried SwitchRes X (I think it was called) to manually add the resolution. It said "should be available after reboot"; then (after said reboot) it said "should be available", only it wasn't.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-11-16, 00:56

No friggin clue.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-16, 01:01

Insert "that's what you GET for using a hack!" here.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-11-16, 01:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Insert "that's what you GET for using a hack!" here.

You just had to.

I don't think it has to do with the fact I'm using a hack, and even if it does, I'm just looking for a logical explanation here. There's more VRAM available (since the internal screen isn't being used), yet the choice of screen resolutions is much more limited. Why would that be?