Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iTunes track numbering

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes track numbering
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-22, 15:07

(I think that's an acceptable way to label this thread?)

Is there a way to select a handful of songs and have them all get branded track #s automatically, like Say I select a whole album, and I want to get them tracked 1-12 without having to do each one individually.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-22, 15:20

You might have to wait for Automater in Tiger to do this. I'm sure you could also write a script to do it, but I have zero knowledge of AppleScript and I've never seen a guide that I've been able to follow.
synotic

2004-08-22, 17:22

For what it's worth.. I did this in like 5 minutes and barely tested it... it does it track by track so it's a bit slow... I tried to get it to change them all at once, but my AppleScript's rusty so I'm not completely sure how to do it. Standard warning about how this may delete your files or screw up your songs. And this isn't a joke warning, this might actually screw up the ID3 tags of your songs... Enjoy (if any applescripters out there want to suggest any fixes, please do):

Code:
tell application "iTunes" if selection is not {} then copy (track number of selection) to theTrackCount copy selection to theTracks else return end if end tell copy theTrackCount's length to theTrackCount repeat with i from 1 to theTrackCount tell application "iTunes" copy (a reference to item i of theTracks) to theTrack copy theTrackCount to track count of theTrack copy i to track number of theTrack end tell end repeat
PowerBook

2004-08-22, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
(I think that's an acceptable way to label this thread?)

Is there a way to select a handful of songs and have them all get branded track #s automatically, like Say I select a whole album, and I want to get them tracked 1-12 without having to do each one individually.
I don't think we'll see something like this soon, or something like it in Automator.

If anything, it would have to be a built-in iTunes feature, which would be so great. But the thing is, how would you arrange them in order if there's no track number? iTunes always lists things in a particular order, like by name or something, so I don't know how you would order anything if you would have to insert a track number anyway.

I always change things manually, unless it affects several songs - I'll select what I want (usually a whole album or genre) and Get Info on them. I appreciate doing that to make sure that several songs/albums/whatever have the same attributes.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-23, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBook
I don't think we'll see something like this soon, or something like it in Automator.

If anything, it would have to be a built-in iTunes feature, which would be so great. But the thing is, how would you arrange them in order if there's no track number? iTunes always lists things in a particular order, like by name or something, so I don't know how you would order anything if you would have to insert a track number anyway.

I always change things manually, unless it affects several songs - I'll select what I want (usually a whole album or genre) and Get Info on them. I appreciate doing that to make sure that several songs/albums/whatever have the same attributes.
hmm, well, the way I envision it working, would either be holding a modifier key, like opt or opt cmd, and then clicking on the songs in the track order, and that tells iTunes how to labels them, it could either do it as you do it, or maybe you hit return or something to activate the tally, upon which it would restart.

but like, a lot of times I end up with albums that are arranged correctly but, have no track numbers, and just selecting them and having those 10 number themselves 1-10 automatically would be groovy.
PowerBook

2004-08-23, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
hmm, well, the way I envision it working, would either be holding a modifier key, like opt or opt cmd, and then clicking on the songs in the track order, and that tells iTunes how to labels them, it could either do it as you do it, or maybe you hit return or something to activate the tally, upon which it would restart.

but like, a lot of times I end up with albums that are arranged correctly but, have no track numbers, and just selecting them and having those 10 number themselves 1-10 automatically would be groovy.
That is a neat idea actually. Perhaps it would even work if you're re-ordering songs that already have track numbers.

I can't say that I've ever had albums with no track numbers (unless they were from those Napster days ...) but I can say that I've imported CDs that had mixed up the song titles, but were actually in the correct order.