User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 23 of 33 First Previous 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-12, 16:37

First official look (not much of one, be warned) of the Obi-Wan Kenobi show coming to Disney+ in 2022.

To my knowledge, the main, live-action stuff has already been filmed, so the clean-shaven Ewan in the interview clips above make sense...he's done all his stuff and the beard can go away (for a while). I bet they aged him a tad for the show, maybe a little (some silvering, plus he's older now, by 16+ real-life years, than the last time we saw him in that character, so Mother Nature should take care of a few of those details as well (depending on when, exactly, the show is set).

There's also footage of Hayden lightsaber training, so that tells me that Vader and Obi-Wan's "re-match" on the Death Star in Episode 4 may not have been the first time they met/dueled since Mustafar (unless Vader is using his saber on others in the series - Jedi in hiding, co-workers who've pissed him off, etc. - and has no direct scenes/contact with Obi-Wan in this show).

However, the two of them talking/connecting via the Force can't be ruled out. We've already seen this is a thing (that deleted ROTJ clip of Vader calling out to Luke as Luke is putting the finishing touches on his new lightsaber in that cave). If the Force allows blue glowing ghosts to pop up and talk/interact with living characters, then you have to believe it can act as a direct party-line for living Force users to ring each other up (those scenes of Rey and Kylo Force-sexting in episodes 8 and 9).

So that might be one of the "hooks" for this Obi-Wan show...Vader and Obi-Wan occasionally reach out to taunt, guilt-trip, trash-talk, threaten, etc. each other?

"Hey, Darth-y...what has no legs, one arm and is black all over?"

"I give up, Kenobi. What?"

"YOU, motherfu..."

Anyway, lots of production art and McGregor seems to be his usual enthusiastic, cool self. (he's the best thing, by far, to ever come from the prequel trilogy, so if they had to bring anything/anyone back, I'm glad it's him).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-12 at 17:15.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-12, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
If it has the same writers and showrunners as WandaVision I'm all for it - Kathryn Hahn is fantastic.

Finally got around to watching Black Widow this past weekend and the end scene with you know who makes me look forward to Hawkeye even more.
Yeah, WandaVision was great so there is promise for sure.

Now I need to watch Black Widow. I haven't watched it yet... this weekend... hopefully.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-12, 17:28

On today's installment of Neckbeard Bonerpalooza...

That Disney+ is just swinging for the fences, huh?

Man does not live by Star Wars and Marvel alone.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-12, 17:41

I know I've seen Willow at one point in my life, but I have to say it isn't memorable to me.

Maybe I'll try to find it so I can refresh my memory, after watching Black Widow finally that is.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-12, 17:56

I've never seen it either. But I have some friends who think it hung the moon, so I know they're excited by the news.

I never really got into that type of stuff - olden times, wizards, monsters, spells, swords/bow-and-arrows, fantasy, talking animals, dragons, etc. - so there are a ton of thing my friends love that just completely bypassed me...Labyrinth, The Princess Bride, The Never-ending Story, Legend, The Dark Crystal, Ladyhawke, etc. Not to mention all the Tolkien stuff (yeah, yeah...I know).

This sort of thing ain't my bag, baby! 🤓
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-22, 23:22

The live action Cowboy Bebop on Netflix is as much fun as the original.

It means more if you see the anime first.

The show is extremely funky.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-11-22, 23:59

see you space cowboy.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-11-23, 03:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post

Oh? Maybe I’ll try to watch it then.

The other day I was playing something from the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack as I left the house. I let iTunes (or whatever the app is called now) keep going after the song I actually wanted to hear was done, and the next one up was the song that played over the final scene of the show, only I didn’t recognize where in the show it was from until the guitar hit. I had to pull over and recover from the unexpected flood of memories. My word that show made good use of music.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-28, 02:35

The new Peter Jackson documentary made from the old Let It Be footage is pretty amazing. It's nearly 8 hours of viewing, but as a fan it was really intriguing and changed some of my established opinions about the band and their relationships. I have not read any books about the break-up, so my knowledge is scant. My opinion of Yoko did change. She was incredibly, annoyingly clingy to John, but no one expressed irritation at her presence in any of the footage they showed us and Paul seemed to be accepting of her. Watching the songs transform from ideas into the established classics they are now was a treat. Knowing that they were headed toward dissolution as a group was sad, but it was inevitable and what's done is done. Seeing them together like this was a genuine treat.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-11-28, 22:06

Quote:

It's like if James Bond was still fun instead of just a suicidal Daniel Craig.

with more jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-D9LrFJd4
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-05, 10:57

I continue to have a complicated relationship with Star Trek Discovery as it recently launched its latest season.

It solidly advances and challenges our cultural conversation in ways that resemble that of the original series.

I daresay that my own thoughts about LGBTQIA+ issues have been affected by the storytelling, so in that regard the show is solidly Trek.

It's not unfair to criticize aspects of the program. Some of my friends noped out the minute they saw the revised design of (for nothing more than producorial fashion, apparently) Klingons.

The serial nature of Discovery and Picard makes repeated viewings less attractive to many people. I appreciate having self-contained episodes within larger story arcs, because I can easily dip in for a quick viewing while flipping channels and dip back out again without feeling lost. Brave New Worlds should satisfy that style of storytelling more.

I am fine with having a highly diverse cast as it more closely represents the nature of the Federation of Planets than any prior version of Trek.

Discovery is one of those shows that requires me to turn on close captioning, because several of the actors talk rapidly and in a quiet, low register, notably (but NOT exclusively) the heroine, Sonequa Martin-Green. If I can't understand an actor it's more difficult to buy into their storyline.

Discovery's future technology is a lot of fun as are 800 years of changes in the cultures of former Federation member planets.

Discovery will ultimately prove a gateway to Trek for some people in the same way as every other series before it.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-12-05, 13:43

I was a bit unhappy with seasons 1 and 2 of Discovery as it brought into major focus parts of the Star Trek universe that I most disliked. (The Mirror Universe and Section 31; those are elements I wish were as minimized as possible.) I possibly sounded like any other fanboy declaiming "not real Trek" because of X reason, what bothered me most was leaning into war and subverted Federation and 'not as good as you think it is' for Trek, because what attracts me to the franchise is a sense of optimism and a hope for things to be better. In sharp contrast season 3 returned to that sense of making a difference and joy in our combinations and made me very happy. Looking forward to resubscribing and starting season 4.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-06, 04:00

I have complicated but mostly negative feelings about Discovery.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-06, 07:24

Oh don't you lure me into going negative on Discovery, because it's tempting.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 09:06

Anyone watching Hawkeye? I started but haven't been able to make it through the whole first episode yet. It isn't bad, but I'm watching it on my iPad while I'm on the treadmill so far.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-12-10, 09:10

I've been watching it. I like both Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld, so this is a perfect show for me.

Hawkeye is one of the characters in Marvel that doesn't get a lot of attention I feel, so this should be a good view into his world a bit, but they're paying a lot of attention to Kate Bishop and her ascendency into the role of Hawkeye, which Is very interesting.

I think it's got potential to be a solid show and a perfect piece for Disney+

Marvel has been doing great with these shows.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-10, 09:34

I’m not watching but as those movies rolled on, Hawkeye became a favorite character. He was more normal, grounded than all the others. And I’ve always enjoyed Renner. Like Gary Sinise, just always natural and solid/believable in anything he’s in.

I haven’t seen/heard from Steinfeld since that True Grit remake a decade or so ago.

Uh...she appears to have grown up a bit.

And I see she's a solid 24, so don't start up with any Chris Hansen jokes/memes

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-10 at 10:08. Reason: Correctly spelled the name of the True Grit actress.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-12-10, 10:30

She's really good in Dickinson on AppleTV+.

Dickinson doesn't get a lot of love overall, but it's one of my favorite shows from AppleTV
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-10, 10:56

I tried getting into Dickinson and… don't get it. Maybe it's just a US-specific culture thing.
¡Damned!

2021-12-10, 11:22

Speaking of AppleTV+, I enjoyed Foundation very, very much. The first few episodes were a bit of a slow buildup, but I was hooked until the very last. Really hope this show gets the time it deserves.

Also, Jared Harris! He's been on quite the run since Mad Men, showing up in great roles in Chernobyl, The Terror and The Expanse (probably more, those are just the ones I've seen).

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-12-10, 13:09

You spelled "Lee Pace" incorrectly.

He was by far the best thing in the show. In fact, it was a bit uneven, with the "Empire" storyline being fantastic, the "Gaal" storyline being OK, and the "Salvor Hardin" strand being the weakest.
¡Damned!

2021-12-10, 15:31

Haha, yes, Lee Pace is magnetic force of nature. The whole genetic dynasty thing and Trantor (scar-Trantor especially) is so compelling. The entire show is gorgeous - and the ship designs are all incredible too.

Me, I'd put the Salvor storyline ahead of Gaal. The best, most interesting scenes of her were with Harris, the rest weren't that memorable imo. Maybe next season she'll get to do more interesting things.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-12-10, 15:49

She spent a fair bit of the season getting repeatedly frozen and shot into space in one direction or another.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-10, 15:55

OMG Foundation is so bloody amazing.

Totally gorgeous.

I am going to watch it all over again before next season because it was so good, and I never do that.

My favorite thread was definitely the one following Empire, in all his permutations.

I have zero idea of who Lee Pace is until this, but wow what a character!!

It has been so many DECADES since I first read the books that I cannot remember any of the details, so I don't know how much they're changing things and I honestly do not want to know.

Just don't cancel it, please??!!

Also:

Netflix did not renew Cowboy Bebop. We're lucky that we even got a single live-action season, honestly.

Captain Drew on Twitter
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2021-12-11, 13:45

Quote:
I have zero idea of who Lee Pace is until this, but wow what a character!!
Definitely check out Halt and Catch Fire, a 4-season show about the computer industry in the 80's. Lee Pace was originally written as a Mad Men-type character, but he turns out to be much more interesting. Unfortunately, the show is leaving Netflix for AMC+ on Tuesday.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-11, 15:21

Some friends worked on the show Halt & Catch Fire with him and I went by their stages once for a visit. I could have walked right past him and never known it!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-24, 10:43

Discovery continues to frustrate me.

The good: the writing holds a mirror up to our current events, following the example of the original series.

The neutral: the show is unabashedly woke, which doesn't bother me terribly. It's well past time that white human males weren't the only beings capable of being captains and officers of Federation vessels. This show does it pointedly, and in a recent episode delivered a fairly undisguised admonishment to the leader of a judgy conservative colony, who happened to be a white male human - the point was not lost, and as a member of that group of humans I thought it on point considering where our society is today.

The bad: in its push for new worlds and new civilizations and a new culture, the producers behind this series are featuring established Federation species and cultures but not integrating them back into the series. I'm not asking for a giant heaping plate of fan service, but I feel like they're missing great opportunities to stitch themselves more deeply into the Star Trek universe. In last night's episode they DID do something that linked back to something from a previous series, and I know that there are undoubtedly other moments where they have done that, but when I'm paying attention (and this is clearly a rant about ME) I don't get that sense of connection to old Trek. And that's okay too.

I will watch Star Trek Discovery. Even if it isn't my favorite series there are lots of fun parts. I just wish the muttering actors could get some stage training so I could understand what they were saying.

Captain Drew on Twitter
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-01-15, 00:03

Just finished Station Eleven.

Wow.

What a great adaptation of what was an exceptional book.

I absolutely loved it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-15, 10:23

Schitt's Creek.

This is a fun little show for being only 22 minute episodes. Mrs T and I are slowly working our way through it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-15, 12:29

Station Eleven was fascinating.

Finished it last night.

Such a different show. The pace was weirdly compelling, the cast was intriguing, the style of storytelling a puzzle.

(I'll eventually watch that show, T. It's on my list!)