User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
macgeek2004

2005-02-09, 02:05

I've noticed that there isn't a single thread concerning the upcoming release of the final Star Wars Movie.

What does everyone think about Revenge of the Sith?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-09, 02:25

Well, there was the four-page thread "Star Wars, Episode III" title revealed...

I'm not too excited about it. After the last two movies, I'm just ready for it to be over.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-02-09, 09:24

Almost dozed off while watching Episode I in the best movie theater in the city.
Didn't like Episode II but it was a bit better at least.
I guess I'm going to see III as well but if it was anything else than Star Wars I'd have quit at I.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-09, 09:24

That "Search" tool thing here is quite amazing.

I typed in "Star Wars, Episode III" and the aforementioned four (now five)-page thread popped right up.

What do I think about it?

I'll definitely see it (as will every single one of you, so don't even try to act "above it all"), but after episodes 1 and 2, I have to admit that I'm not going into it as enthusiastic and google-eyed as I normally would.

Overwrought CGI and "cute moments that little kids will laugh at" seem to be the first and foremost ingredient in these new movies.

And before anyone says "well, the original ones were...you're just older now", I'd have to disagree with that. A great, kick-butt story propelled the original trilogy, and as silly and watered-down as "Return of the Jedi" was in places, it still kicks the living crap out of Episodes 1 or 2.

I just remember walking out of the theater after seeing 1 and 2 and thinking "so?". I just simply didn't give a rat's ass about any of them, or why they were doing what they were doing. Boring, drawn-out, too heavy on the political shenanigans, stilted acting, pompous dialog (especially from Portman's character), etc.

Like everyone else, I'm eager for the Vader suit money shot. Other than that, screw 'em. It's a sad bookend to a series of movies, and part of me just wishes they never got made.

Upon repeat viewings of 1 and 2, I'd sit there and "head edit" the thing, saying to myself "okay, kill that line..." and mentally erasing The Brat (or hitting the mute button) from Episode I. Makes for a MUCH better movie, viewed that way.

Honest to goodness, I sometimes think I could've taken a camcorder, iMovie, about 20 friends, Photoshop, some action figures and about $5,000 (for prop/costume making) and made a better Episode I than Lucas did.

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-02-09, 09:33

I just saw a documentary on editing, where Lucas was bragging, BRAGGING!, about how Christopher Lee was to old to do many of his action sequences (light sabre fight with yoda was the clip he was showing)
but he said it no longer mattered because because he could edit CGI bits in with the live bits and proceeded to show a scene (the aforementioned scene with yoda) that looked awful.

Now George Lucas should be carried around in a sedan chair for his remaining days for all his achievements in cinema, but he should have his toys taken away from him.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

stonyc

Send a message via AIM to stonyc  
2005-02-09, 09:47

George Lucas really f'ed up the franchise, but like pscates said... I'm still going to see it, without a doubt. I watched the first two in the theaters and suffered through them, I'll suffer the third one too (though it looks like it's going to be darker and hopefully better).

George Lucas needs to be hit over the head and not allowed to direct another movie again... he not only ruined the Star Wars prequels, but he ruined the original trilogy as well:

- Jabba in Star Wars, he looks stupid that small... come George, couldn't you CG-edit Harrison Ford's head to look up at a higher angle so that you could use an actual-size Jabba (from RotJ)?
- Inserting Hayden Christiansen's ghost at the end of Return of the Jedi? Come on... Obi-Wan's ghost is old (Alex Guiness), Yoda is old (though he always was)... why in the hell would you put in Hayden Christiansen as the ghost when Luke has no remembrance of his father being young? Either make all the ghosts old... or all of them young, apparently you couldn't decide.

Arrrrggghhh... anyways, sorry for my rant but those things in particular really irk me.

NOW... add on this little nugget of information. Anyone know Frank Darabont, the guy who wrote the screenplay for The Shawshank Redemption... perhaps one of the greatest movies in the past 30 years, if not all time? Apparently George Lucas thinks he can write a better screenplay for Indiana Jones 4 than Darabont did, and flat out rejected his version... opting instead to write it himself. Nice one, George... we already know you can't direct anymore... are you now going to show us that you can't write either? Urgh... sorry.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-09, 10:11

Man, NOBODY wants to see a damn 72-year-old Harrison Ford (isn't he getting close to that by now? ) running around in that hat and whip again.

Jeez, leave it alone. The third one - with Indy, Jones Sr., Sallah and Brody riding off into the sunset together - was a PERFECT wrapping up.

Going back, with craggy-faced, spiky haired Ford shuffling around and going "oww...my shoulder" everytime he reaches for his whip will just suck.

Hollywood can NEVER just leave well enough alone, can they?

stonyc

2005-02-09, 11:25

Quote:
Jeez, leave it alone. The third one - with Indy, Jones Sr., Sallah and Brody riding off into the sunset together - was a PERFECT wrapping up.
I agree, but if they're going to do a #4 they should do it the best that they can... and firing Frank Darabont as your writer isn't a good start.

LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-02-09, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyc
- Inserting Hayden Christiansen's ghost at the end of Return of the Jedi? Come on... Obi-Wan's ghost is old (Alex Guiness), Yoda is old (though he always was)... why in the hell would you put in Hayden Christiansen as the ghost when Luke has no remembrance of his father being young? Either make all the ghosts old... or all of them young, apparently you couldn't decide.
My take on it: The younger Anakin as represented by Hayden's appearance here signifies the point when Luke's father "died", i.e. when he went to the dark side of the Force. As you know, Obi-Wan and Yoda died in their later years still active adherents to the "good side" of the Force, therefore they appear as their old selves.

"...from a certain point of view."

Quote:
NOW... add on this little nugget of information. Anyone know Frank Darabont, the guy who wrote the screenplay for The Shawshank Redemption... perhaps one of the greatest movies in the past 30 years, if not all time? Apparently George Lucas thinks he can write a better screenplay for Indiana Jones 4 than Darabont did, and flat out rejected his version... opting instead to write it himself.
Frank Marshall, a producer of all three Indiana Jones films and I believe of the fourth as well, is quoted as saying that the the only problem with Darabont's script was the last act. Take that for what it's worth.

And Lucas is not writing it himself. Jeff Nathanson (who recently wrote "Catch Me If You Can" and "The Terminal") has been confirmed as the current scriptor -- as of a Variety article from last fall, that is.

stonyc

2005-02-09, 13:07

Quote:
And Lucas is not writing it himself.
True, but Lucas has creative control... so he may as well be writing it himself IMO.

stonyc

2005-02-09, 13:09

Quote:
My take on it: The younger Anakin as represented by Hayden's appearance here signifies the point when Luke's father "died", i.e. when he went to the dark side of the Force. As you know, Obi-Wan and Yoda died in their later years still active adherents to the "good side" of the Force, therefore they appear as their old selves.
Never thought of it that way... only problem I have with that is when Vader died, he had at that time been turned back to the light side of the Force by Luke.

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-02-09, 13:11

well my favorite character from the indy series has been sean connery as indy's father and he was harrison's present age when he did that. so it can be done gracefully, but ford's vanity seems to have gotten the better of him in recent years and he seems to have to have a laughably younger woman play opposite him.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

stonyc

2005-02-09, 13:20

Casting Sean Connery as Indy's father was GENIUS... my favorite scene, where Elsa (?) is trying to get a rise out of Indy as she's leaving and whisper's something like "I had a wonderful night.." and Sean Connery replies first saying "Thank you" or "Me too".

ragingloogie

2005-02-09, 14:10

theres an episode 3 coming out? oh my...i must be oblivious......

Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-09, 14:13

harrison ford should be in revenge of the sith, playing a young han solo.

johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-02-09, 14:15

...???

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-09, 14:37

He could play Han Solo's great-grandfather maybe. Have you seen the man lately?

He's not in the position to play a "young" ANYTHING.

Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-09, 14:43

It's nice to know some people still have a sense of humor.

macgeek2004

2005-02-09, 15:18

War! The Republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Sith Lord, Count Dooku. There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.

In a stunning move, the fiendiesh droid leader, General Grievous, has swept into the Republic capital and kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine, leader of the Galactic Senate.

As the Separatist Droid Army attempts to flee the besieged capital with their valuable hostage, two Jedi Knights lead a desperate mission to rescue the captive Chancellor.

Star Wars Episode 3General Grievous (the part alien/part droid leader of the Separatist military) has taken Supreme Chancellor Palpatine prisoner and they are both now on board the Trade Federation cruiser with Count Dooku above Coruscant. To the Republic and Confederacy of Independent Systems, this battle appears to be a defining moment in the Clone Wars, but Count Dooku and Palpatine planned this situation so they could be together and plan for the future. However, Palpatine’s true motives are to have Dooku killed and the Separatist movement destroyed.

Anakin and Obi-Wan are leading the Republic forces in the battle. During the fighting, Buzzer droids take off the head of Obi-Wan's R4 astromech droid on his star fighter and the Buzzers nearly get R2-D2 also, but Anakin saves them. Anakin and Obi-Wan land in the Trade Federation cruiser’s landing dock and enter the cruiser. The two Jedi encounter many obstacles. Anakin and Obi-Wan encounter General Grievous and his body guards. Grievous fights Obi-Wan and Anakin takes on the body guards. However, Grievous and his bodyguards flee the cruiser and escape.

Next Anakin and Obi-Wan find Dooku where Palpatine is being held prisoner. Obi-Wan is either knocked out or distracted, which leaves Anakin to battle Dooku alone, while Palpatine cheers Anakin on.

Anakin SkywalkerAfter Anakin kills Dooku, the Trade Federation cruiser is crashing towards the surface of Coruscant, but Anakin saves the day with his piloting skills. Clone fire fighters arrive and quench the fire and everyone is safe.

Our heroes are welcomed back at the Galactic Senate. Palpatine personally thanks Anakin for his heroics and wants Anakin added to the Jedi Council. Anakin is placed on the Jedi Council. Palpatine invites Anakin to a theater show later that night.

Padme and other Senators are in the Supreme Chancellor's main office asking Palpatine to give up his leadership role as Supreme Chancellor.

The Jedi Council meets and assigns Obi-Wan to the planet Utapau to take out General Grievous and to help Plo Koon and Ki-Adi Mundi. Meanwhile Yoda goes to Kashyyyk (the Wookiee home world) for Alaya Secura and Anakin remains on Coruscant as Palpatine's bodyguard. Anakin is upset with all that and wants to be made a Jedi Master. Anakin has already been made a full-fledged Jedi Knight. Yoda speaks with Anakin about his attachments and death before leaving for Kashyyyk.

Padme AmidalaAnakin goes to Padme's apartment and stays with her until it is time to attend the theater show with Palpatine.

Padme holds a meeting regarding Palpatine with the likes of Bail Organa and Mon Mothma in attendance.

At the theater Palpatine explains to Anakin how a dictatorship would be best for the galaxy, why the Jedi are weak and other such topics. Later on, Anakin goes back to Padme. Anakin goes to sleep and is woken by a terrible nightmare.

Obi-Wan arrives on Utapau and watches as the Republic military is almost beaten in battle. As Obi-Wan’s clone troopers fight General Grievous’ battle droids, Obi-Wan chases General Grievous and his bodyguards. Obi-Wan rides on a lizard-like creature and eventually arrives at a cave. Obi-Wan proceeds to decimate all of Grievous’ body guards, but Grievous proves to be an apt opponent. Grievous mistakenly thinks he has defeated Obi-Wan and begins to tell Obi-Wan the true plans of Darth Sidious and Sidious’ true identity as Palpatine.

Obi-Wan Kenobi Obi-Wan manages to escape the icy-cold hand of death by killing Grievous with a laser blaster. It turns out that General Grievous is like the Trade Federation Control Ship from The Phantom Menace because Grievous controls all the Separatist battle droids in the galaxy. With Grievous dead, all the battle droids are off line. The Clone Wars come to an abrupt end with all the Separatist leaders going into hiding.

Yoda helps Chewbacca and the other Wookiees defeat the battle droids on Kashyyyk.

Obi-Wan immediately contacts Mace Windu by hologram tells Windu that Darth Sidious is Chancellor Palpatine. Anakin leaves Padme while she is sleeping and heads to Palpatine's office. Anakin finds Mace Windu and other Jedi Masters battling Palpatine. Anakin is confused and can’t tell what is really going on. Anakin begins to protect Palpatine and takes out all the Jedi except Mace Windu, who remains conscious. Fatefully, Anakin chooses to turn to the dark side to kill Mace Windu and joins the Sith Order while Palpatine explains everything while they take on Windu.

After Palpatine explains the true nature of things to Anakin, Anakin takes some clone troopers into the Jedi Temple and they kill everyone there including the Jedi children.

PalpatineNext Palpatine declares himself Emperor in the Galactic Senate and brands the Jedi as the enemy of the galaxy. The security guards won't allow Bail Organa to enter so that Organa can oppose Palpatine’s take over of the galaxy.

In massive attacks, the clone troopers turn against their Jedi leaders. This includes Commander Cody on Utapau with Obi-Wan and the clone troopers with Yoda on Kashyyyk. Luckily Chewbacca and the Wookiees save Yoda.

Yoda goes back to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant to find the entire Jedi Council dead. Yoda watches footage of Anakin killing the younglings and bowing to Palpatine. In the most amazing battle of all time, Darth Sidious steps out of the shadows of the Jedi Temple and proceeds to take down Yoda. This fierce battle ends with Yoda defeated and Sidious Force pushes Yoda off the top of the Jedi Temple. Bail Organa arrives to catch the falling Yoda in his speeder. Organa is then briefly chased by clone troopers, but manages to escape.

Bail Organa and Yoda head for Alderaan, where Organa holds a secret meeting and establishes the Rebel Alliance.

YodaObi-Wan contacts Yoda and finds out from Yoda the terrible events that have recently unfolded. Obi-Wan finds Padme and learns everything from her and then Obi-Wan takes her and the droids (C-3PO and R2-D2) to Alderaan.

Anakin goes to Padme's apartment on Coruscant, but finds her abode empty. Palpatine tells Anakin that the Jedi have taken Padme. Next Palpatine orders Anakin to go to Mustafar to kill all the remaining Separatist leaders.

By using the Force, Obi-Wan can sense that Anakin is on Mustafar. Padme wants to go with Obi-Wan and R2-D2, but Obi-Wan won’t allow her to join them. Padme leaves Alderaan with C-3PO.

Anakin proceeds to kill all the Separatist leaders hiding in the Separatist base on Mustafar. Padme confronts Anakin and Obi-Wan arrives on Mustafar. Anakin chokes Padme and Force pushes her against a nearby wall, knocking her unconscious. The legendary Anakin vs. Obi-Wan duel commences. Anakin and Obi-Wan move outside the Separatist base and up the volcano, which starts to erupt.

Anakin is much more powerful than Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan turns Anakin's colossal strength into Anakin’s weakness so that Anakin is unable to think clearly and thereby Anakin makes mistakes. Obi-Wan pushes Anakin into the molten lava pit. Lava flows endanger the lives of our heroes.

Mace WinduMeanwhile, R2-D2 and C-3PO have been trying to rescue Padme from the lava and they are found by Yoda and Bail Organa in the Tantive IV at the last possible moment of survival. Yoda and Organa also save Obi-Wan from the lava danger.

Padme begins to go into premature labor and our heroes land on nearby Utapau where Tion Meddon and his droids attempt to save Padme and the Skywalker twins. However, Padme dies after giving birth to the twins. She dies in the arms of Obi-Wan.

Palpatine's people remove Anakin from the lava pit and place Anakin into the Darth Vader mask and armor. When Anakin regains consciousness, he is so angry that he has caused the death of Padme that Anakin uses the Force to destroy the medical droids and lab with his mind and breaks free from being held on the table. This Force explosion even manages to disfigure Palpatine.

Through the Force, Obi-Wan and Yoda sense that Anakin is still alive. Bail Organa drops Obi-Wan and baby Luke off on Tatooine. Yoda is then taken to Dagobah. Organa then heads to Naboo and orders his captain to wipe the memory banks of R2-D2 and C-3PO.

Darth VaderBail Organa with baby Leia, his wife, the Queen of Naboo and Naboo dignitaries attend Padme's funeral march on Naboo.

On Tatooine, Obi-Wan hands baby Luke over to Owen and Beru Lars.

From the deck of a star destroyer, Darth Vader, Palpatine and Tarkin watch the death star being constructed. Fade to black. Roll end credits.

¡Damned!

2005-02-09, 15:39

Yes, geek, we saw that the first time. Care to provide a link this time around?

[edit:]Nevermind.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-04-11, 09:37

Well, here's a bit of interesting news. Star Wars Ep. III has a rating... and it's not PG.

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=19860

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-04-11, 09:57

Well, all those limb and head removals probably played a part in that.

And seeing poor Anakin all singed to a crisp might be a bit much for the grade-school crowd.

Certainly is odd, though. Either this movie is really grim or the ratings people are just getting tighter? Maybe a bit of both (and no, I don't connect "grim and dark" to "amazing and kick-ass" like a lot of people seem to do...plenty of "grim and dark" movies that have SUCKED).

I read the novel last weekend and if the movie even roughly follows that, we're in for about seven decapitations, much torso slicing/halving, the killing of children, coldly shooting people in the back, friends and allies turning against one another in some brutally callous ways, real-time facial deformity, hands cut off at the wrist, arms cut off at the elbow and shoulder, some spousal abuse, a hint of infidelity, third-degree burns and "oops, there go my legs!" dismemberment.

Yeah, a PG-13 is probably warranted!

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-11, 10:13

macgeek2004,

Whatever will you talk about once EpIII is out and done?

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-04-11, 10:17

He'll be like poor Buzz Aldrin who dreamed of going to the moon all his life, then actually did. Didn't know what to do with himself after that. j/k

macgeek2004

2005-04-11, 15:05

I'm not sure what i'll talk about. lol

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-04-11, 19:03

But enough about Star Wars. Go outside and enjoy life. Or wait in line at a theatre.