User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How long should it take for me to access my website?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How long should it take for me to access my website?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-08, 09:38

I just started a new account last night with a host that has some large bandwidth so I can host files there and a small website. The files are going to be 40 minute talks in mp3 and m4v. I'm expecting high traffic and so I'm hosting the blog on one site with links to the media files from this one.

I have been given my IP address and can log into cPanel and make accounts and such as well as FTP into the site. So I know the site is working. I created a basic intro page in iWeb just to be a place holder until the site is actually built into it's intended destiny. In the mean time though I can't seem to access it by typing in the IP address in my browser.

http://72.29.72.161 only brings me to an Apache and cPanel placeholder. How long does it take to see my index.html based site there? I also can't link to the media file currently held in the new folder ../audio. Am I missing something? Do I just need to be more, uh, patient?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-08, 10:00

Oh yeah, I have a domain name but the guy who bought it is on vacation and so I can't change the DNS information on the name servers so I'm having to work with the IP address directly for now. But it should be working right?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-08, 11:31

Never mind. Seems my understanding was wrong. Since I have a shared host account I'm sharing my IP address with others and need to and /~username/ to the IP addy to get to my site.