which browser do you prefer and why?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-15, 22:55

Uh, what about FireFox?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-02-15, 22:59

wasnt there already a poll about this a while back???
jmazz12

2006-02-15, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Uh, what about FireFox?
my bad. i just figured whats the point of using firefox when the same company made a browser specifically for mac (camino). Sorry, i guess just mark other if you use firefox and specify since i cannot figure out how to edit the pole.

if there was a thread, please post it, i couldnt find it.

-jmazz
jmazz12

2006-02-15, 23:14

so i found the link. i guess this one is different because the old one has camino grouped together with firefox.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...browser+choice

mainly, i want to know if and why people use camino and shiira over safari (i.e. does one take up more ram than another, etc...)

jmazz
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-02-15, 23:15

There was actually 2 polls already taken.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...hlight=browser

and

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...hlight=browser
rasmits
rams it

2006-02-16, 18:03

Internet Explorer.

haha, just kidding...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-02-16, 18:30

I have to decide on Shiira. Even though I've used Safari almost exclusively until yesterday, I just decided to try Shiira and it's awesome. Basically, it's like Safari but better in almost every way. The rendering engine isn't as lightning-quick as Camino, but the interface is more user-friendly and the ability to use the bookmarks you've already made in Safari helps the transition.
Mac Donald

2006-02-16, 18:36

OK, I use Camino mainly but I also like Safari and to a lesser extent Firefox for its extensions. I would probably use Safari more than Camino but I have one problem with it that I haven't been able to solve. Someone here has got to know how to solve it. . . . When you open a tab, the browser doesn't open the tab in the background but opens it in the foreground (is that the right word ). I know there is probably an easy answer to this, but I can't figure it out.

I used to use FF mainly, but recently switched over to Camino -- big, big improvement on the UI front, but wish it had more plugins.

Someone hacked my signature. I demand an investigation.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-16, 18:47

Those are really terrible options, leaving out a few big names. So, I'm going to close this thread and merge it with one that has better poll options so people can start over (since there are already several "other" votes).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-16, 18:54

There. That should cover a wider variety of popular browsers.

If you already voted before, be sure to vote again now.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-02-16, 18:59

Brad, what do you use?

I like Safari, because it's Webkit, and because the scrolling looks 10x better than Firefox/Camino (and other Gecko browsers).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-16, 19:16

You can see who voted for what. Scroll up and click.

I use Shiira because:
  • Shiira uses WebKit like Safari and for the many reasons WebKit rules.
  • Shiira is much more responsive than Safari, especially when handling multiple tabs.
  • Shiira is much less crashy than Safari.
  • Shiira has separate toolbar buttons for reload/stop (whose genius idea was it to combine them?).
  • Shiira has toolbar buttons for creating and closing tabs.
  • Shiira has more search engine options.
  • Shiira's search field is resizable (like Safari).
  • Shiira has an option to not use brushed metal. I use the unified Aqua.
  • Shiira has more useful (for me) options "out of the box" such as:
    • Custom page loading timeout
    • Custom user agent
  • Shiira's "Downloads" window is more informative than Safari's.
  • Shiira's URL auto-complete is far less annoying than Safari's.
  • Shiira's source viewer includes HTTP headers and a toggle to show the DOM.
  • Shiira's tabs can be rearranged by drag and drop.
The only thing I really miss from Safari is its "Activity" window. I'm also not a big fan of the sidebar; there needs to be a better way to manage bookmarks. That's not a big deciding factor for me, though, because I don't spend a lot of time rearranging my bookmarks.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
TMT

2006-02-16, 19:19

I've just tried Shiira, because I was curious, after the Camino-theread switched to a Shiira-thread after a few posts

It looks great, is fast, scrolling with the trackpad has the right speed...
I like it.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-16, 19:26

I currently use Safari on my PowerBook, with Camino as a close second backup. I also use iCab on my PM G3 that's also hooked up to the Internet.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-02-16, 19:39

Whoa, Shiira looks nice!

Downloading now...

Edit: Shiira has just replaced Safari as my favorite browser™. Better RSS support is awesome, Webkit rendering looks & scrolls exactly how I like it to, and it's aqua-licious, especially when you change around the icons.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-02-16 at 20:10.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-02-16, 20:21

Camino, easy. I *love* unified interfaces. Besides that, the Gecko engine is used by a whole lot of people, and hence, has better *overall* support.
jmazz12

2006-02-16, 21:38

which one uses the least RAM?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-16, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmazz12
which one uses the least RAM?
In today's age when we all have around a gig of RAM and excellent automatic memory management, this really is a non-issue since they'll all generally be within the same range (which itself will fluctuate wildly depending on your current activity).

I honestly can't remember the last time I used memory requirements as a deciding factor for any application. Maybe I did back in '98 or '99 when I had a paltry 96 megs of RAM. The difference in memory usage between Safari, Camino, etc. today is so relatively insignificant that I just don't even think about it.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-02-16, 22:41

Shiira's cool. The fact that everything from Safari is pulled in makes it easy to try out.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-02-16, 22:50

Hey Brad... Would you be willing to quote Applenova's Browser Statistics (Awstats tracks it...)?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-02-16, 22:55

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on OmniWeb. In most of the web browser threads it does not really rate a mention. Is this because you folks think it is poor, or because it has not been tried by you yet?

(I personally like it - but not enough to be my main browser. Safari* [1.3.2 on Panther] does me fine for now.)

* with AcidSearch!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-02-16, 23:01

If I can't use NoScript, I can't stand the browser. (or something like noscript).

The ability to disable entire domains and render javascript off by default is priceless.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2006-02-16, 23:06

I would be totally over shiira if it could do two things:
-add bookmarks into the safari's bookmark bar folder
-work with pithhelmet

though speed-wise, I don't see a huge difference between the two, but shiira has much more functionality.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-02-16, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
  • Shiira's search field is resizable.
Not sure if this is in relation solely to Safari, or other browsers in general, but (just to let others know) Safari has a resizable search field too.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-17, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
Hey Brad... Would you be willing to quote Applenova's Browser Statistics (Awstats tracks it...)?
Sure, but our last set of reliable logs are from November. I used Analog to process them and got:
  • 48.15% Safari
  • 24.32% Firefox
  • 17.73% MSIE
  • 3.68% Netscape (compatible)
  • 2.27% Camino
  • 1.19% Opera
  • 0.76% Mozilla
  • 0.45% Netscape
  • 0.22% msnbot
  • 0.17% Baiduspider
  • 0.15% Googlebot
  • 0.11% ia_archiver
  • 0.09% Konqueror
  • 0.09% CFNetwork
  • 0.06% NutchCVS
  • 0.04% WebTV

Roughly 80% are from good browsers, a few percent are from search bots and miscellaneous browsers, and 17% are from the hellhound itself.

Keep in mind that many recent versions of Opera identify themselves as Internet Explorer, much to the disdain of statistics junkies like myself. So, the Opera share should probably be a little higher and the IE share a little lower. I believe Opera has a pretty decent following among Windows users; so, I'd guess it to be around 3% similar to Camino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Not sure if this is in relation solely to Safari, or other browsers in general, but (just to let others know) Safari has a resizable search field too.
Yeah, this was just a poke at Firefox and Camino.

Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-02-17, 04:02

I've been using IE much more of late (I've been working at a clients premises) and it's been absolutely excruciating. A truly bad user experience.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-17, 04:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on OmniWeb. In most of the web browser threads it does not really rate a mention. Is this because you folks think it is poor, or because it has not been tried by you yet?
I used to regularly preach the wonders of OmniWeb, but I've changed my tune because:
  • Omni Group is just too slow in updating their custom-tailored engine.
  • It has never been as stable as the other mainstream browsers, for me.
  • It moved from Shareware to 30-day Demo.

BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-17, 04:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Omni Group is just too slow in updating their custom-tailored engine.
Doesn't it use Safari's engine these days?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-02-17, 04:37

I'm not too cluey on the internals of their custom engine vs webkit or whatever, so I'm not greatly fussed by the speed of rendering web pages.

As for stability, it has been fine for me - but, then I've only been using it once in a while.

I certainly like its feature set - especially the worksets - but there is something about the management of tabs in the side draw that could be more streamlined I feel. I can't put my finger on how to do it better though, just yet.

Still, it is a very well featured browser.