AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How do I burn AVI/MP4 to Video DVD

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How do I burn AVI/MP4 to Video DVD
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-08, 23:04

I did a search on here and everyone is trying to go from DVD to AVI/MP4, but how can one go back?

I know the quality isn't the same as the original DVD and all that. Here is my reason for asking; I send my mom MP4's and AVI's of her grandkids regularly. Some of them she would like to watch on her DVD player. My mom has a MBP with a DVD burner and standard Apple software (ie. no Toast).

Even Google didn't help me out since it was all M$ based software. The one that said for Mac I downloaded and found the .exe file in my downloads folder.

Anyway, my mom isn't very computer literate, I mean really, that's why I got her the MBP. That being said, the solution needs to be as simple of a process for her as possible. I could send her DVD's and solve this, but it is easier to drop the files in her FTP drop box instead (I set it up, she only knows how to get there through Finder). Plus, she doesn't want all of them to be on video DVD. Some of the video's can be long (2+ hours) so that will be a factor.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: I just noticed this thread, but it only refers to Divx and I normally use H.264 or what ever iMovie/QT Pro uses (I'm really not sure at this point. )

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2006-07-08 at 23:23.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-08, 23:59

Ok, so I thought I had it working with this ffmpegX thing. I encode to DVD and get this folder: name.avi.ff.mpg.DVD. In it is the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. So I take those folders and put them in the Blank DVD in Finder. I then tell Finder to burn and it burns a DVD.

It then loads up Apple's DVD player and I get a unsupported disk error. Am I missing something? Also, the .VOB file from the VIDEO_TS folder works in MPlayer

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-07-09, 00:03

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't you import an MP4 into iMovie and use iDVD from there?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-07-09, 00:06

If you want to burn a DVD that's playable in a normal DVD player, you've got to make sure you use UDF format. I found a link a while ago about how to do it using the finder (edit: that's using Disk Utility). Lemme dig it up...

here it is. Let us know if it works.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-09, 00:38

DVD Imager worked, sort of. I followed the directions and it created a disk image. I used DU to burn the image and inserted the DVD. It started DVD Player.app and seemed to work great. The audio was perfect but the video would give you seizures.

I looked at the video through MPlayer and it looked great. Both in the image and on the burned DVD. When I play the DVD through the computer (both of my Mac's) it is missing what seems like half of it's frames. But not split, more like it'll play 60 frames then freeze on that one and jump to one 30 away, all while keeping up with the audio but looking really choppy.