Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Entering the Touch-Screen Phone Market

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Entering the Touch-Screen Phone Market
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2009-01-13, 21:47

I've decided that I'm fed up with the antiquated functions of the flip-style cell phone. Especially on Verizon. As a computer geek, it's about time I jumped on the bandwagon and got a phone that actually does something. I've been looking around the internet for something that will satisfy my inner techie, but not something too ridiculous.

The three phones that I came up with—all which are significantly different—were the following:

LG Dare
Samsung Omnia (WinMo, I know...)
Blackberry Curve

Does anyone on the applenova forum own any of these or have any advice?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Max
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-01-13, 22:11

You said you were thinking about touch screens, but you mentioned the Curve, which isn't.

Were you thinking of the Blacberry Storm?

I don't really have an opinion on them, but just thought I'd point that out.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2009-01-13, 22:24

Actually, turns out I just didn't do my research properly. I guess somehow I convinced myself that it was touchscreen. Thanks for that.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-01-14, 00:46

I've loved any phone from HTC (other than the Cingular 2125, I hated it!) like AT&T's Tilt that I'm currently using. I know Verizon had a version of phone by HTC that is close to as awesome. Sure it's Windows Mobile, but it not that bad.

Looks like you've even got a great on available now with the Touch Pro! One of the best parts of these phones are the ability to flash a new firmware that's been cooked with relative ease. If you're interested I can give you a link to the forums where to cooks post the new ROMs and modding these are heavily supported.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Lyngo

2009-01-14, 07:48

The LG Dare phone is a good phone as a phone, but one of it's greatest flaws is it's functionality in how you unlock the screen. It's not a slide like the iPhone, it's a pressure sensitive button. I find that it is constantly unlocking itself in my pocket and I can't stand that about my LG Dare.

Also, the screen is pressure sensitive, not touch sensitive. You can touch the screen with anything and it will react. The iPhone and iPod touch respond with the touch of your skin. Again this is another thing to consider when looking at this phone.

I, for one, like the call quality on my phone; however, I can't stand the constant unlocking in my pocket. I wish that I could unload the thing because of this quality alone, but alas, I am stuck with it for another year and a half.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2009-01-14, 07:53

There's another touch-screen phone I've heard about. It's pretty popular. Google for "iPhone".

But seriously, you wouldn't consider an iPhone in a list of touch-screen phones? Or did I miss something?

Ugh.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-01-14, 08:35

Why not the Blackberry Storm?

Sounds like you're already on Verizon. I hear it's a nice phone. Not quite the iPhone, but still a very solid offering.
¡Damned!

2009-01-14, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I've loved any phone from HTC (other than the Cingular 2125, I hated it!) like AT&T's Tilt that I'm currently using. I know Verizon had a version of phone by HTC that is close to as awesome. Sure it's Windows Mobile, but it not that bad.

Looks like you've even got a great on available now with the Touch Pro! One of the best parts of these phones are the ability to flash a new firmware that's been cooked with relative ease. If you're interested I can give you a link to the forums where to cooks post the new ROMs and modding these are heavily supported.
Supposedly a version of the Touch HD Pro is coming to Verizon, though there's no word on when exactly.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-01-14, 11:15

Eh, I think that Touch Pro is an extremely ugly phone. It reminds me of the Chocolates. For that price, I'd rather have a Blackberry Storm if you're going with Verizon.

I'd really just look into the iPhone. By all accounts and reviews, it's by far the best touch screen out there.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-01-14, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Supposedly a version of the Touch HD Pro is coming to Verizon, though there's no word on when exactly.
Yeah, this HD version is kinda like a unicorn right now. A handful of rumors with nothing else really to support it yet. I personally would love to see a Touch HD Pro, but it's gonna have to come to AT&T before I can get it.

doublem9876, are you open to changing providers or are you stuck with Verizon? I think this'll help narrow down the choices for you.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.