User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad OS
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
willwon155

2020-03-06, 05:58

Hello, Thanks for this useful information. I am also thinking to trade in cryptocurrency shortly. I also read this 4waytechnologies.com/technology/mobile-app-development-company Mobile App Development Company article which helped me to clear some doubts. Thanks

Take your crypto-bull elsewhere, spammer!

~ Kscherer

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-03-06 at 11:49.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-06, 11:23

Might be worth it to remove his link too.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-06, 11:50

Yep. Thanks. Forgot to do that.

Done!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-06, 12:06

Our hero
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-06, 16:36

Hello, Thanks for this useful information. I am also thinking to trade in cryptocurrency shortly.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-03-06, 17:21

I was going to trade in cryptocurrency and get into quasicurrency instead.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-06, 17:43

I was thinking that marijuanacurrency was the next big thing?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-09, 15:24

Ok, who is actually using the widgets on their home page full time for iPadOS? I still don't and think they are as ugly on the "desktop" as I did before. Sure I swipe over to view them occasionally, but I still can't see leaving them up full time.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-03-09, 16:00

Turned them off the first day I updated to iPad OS. Don't use the widgets and almost forgot they existed before I accidentally swiped the right way to bring them out a few days ago.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-03-10, 09:21

I have them on. I like to see the weather and my calendar at a glance and it doesn't really make too much of a difference on the screen real estate.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-18, 08:32

Looks like formal mouse/trackpad support will be there with 13.4 in the 24th of March! Not sure I'll be pairing a trackpad to my iPad Pro, but one of the new ones with a trackpad in the keyboard would be pretty nice.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-18, 13:34

I'm really worried Apple is reinventing Windows 8, poorly. Which is quite a feat, given how conceptually flawed Windows 8 already was.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-19, 10:47

I can't say that thought crossed my mind...but it makes sense. I too hope they don't go that route. Really, I just don't want them dumbing down Mac apps so they work with iOS/iPadOS. I would rather the latter get beefed up to be the desktop app.

Even then, if everything moves to a cloud passed SaaS product then the app doesn't reside on the device anyway. Something like an iPad would easily handle that. I think this is the real path Apple is heading down.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-19, 11:56

I still think Apple is using the iPad Pro as a test-bed for ARM-based pro apps. It's not a UI thing, just a platform to experiment with/prepare pro apps for ARM. The ARM Macs will still be Macs, with all the UI stuff we are used to, but iPadOS is being used to get developers to port the majority of their code base to ARM prior to the ARM Mac release so that there are titles out there with the potential to cross over to the Mac UI without quite so much work.

In other words, what Apple is doing with iPadOS is not "reinventing Windows 8", but driving developers to Apple's future code base without so much grief as they would get if they just jumped to ARM without any pro app support.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

2020-03-19, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I can't say that thought crossed my mind...but it makes sense. I too hope they don't go that route. Really, I just don't want them dumbing down Mac apps so they work with iOS/iPadOS. I would rather the latter get beefed up to be the desktop app.
To be clear, I think they're maintaining macOS mostly the way it is.

But that iPad Pro is mutating more and more into what the 2012 Surface was: ostensibly a simplified UI, but with lots of add-ons to hack it into a poor man's laptop. The iPad is pretty cool for touch, but sometimes you need to type a lot, so you add a keyboard. But now you can't use it on the lap, so you add a case/folio. But now you can no longer reach the screen well with your fingers, so you add a trackpad. But now the screen is too heavy because it houses the actual computer and battery, so you need a kickstand or other hack. So you go the Surface Book route of adding a second battery and GPU to the bottom side, which balances this out and adds some capabilities, but makes for a complicated hinge mechanism.

Or you could, y'know, get a MacBook Air. Yeah, I know, no touch, and no detachable keyboard. But macOS is so much more coherent at this it's not even funny. And the excuse of iPadOS being young doesn't hold. The iPad is ten years old. When the Mac was ten years old, System 7.5 came out. Multitasking? The laptop and desktop form factors? Handling files? Those were all settled. None of them are on the iPad.

The iPad lacks strong leadership.

Quote:
Even then, if everything moves to a cloud passed SaaS product then the app doesn't reside on the device anyway. Something like an iPad would easily handle that. I think this is the real path Apple is heading down.
I doubt it. Google et al would love that, but Apple wouldn't: they need reasons you buy their pricey hardware, and having a fast, comfortable machine is one such reason. If you don't need that because the apps run remotely anyway, why not just buy a Chromebook?

Last edited by chucker : 2020-03-19 at 12:20.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-19, 12:11

That makes sense. Given Apple's push to Swift means that I'm sure what you code in Swift will easily build in ARM compatibility as well. Sure, Swift isn't the go-to coding language for many developers. This means it won't be as simple to adopt for some of the major names out there. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the end though.

Seeing a trackpad on the keyboard is really wild though. Looks more like a Surface now.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-19, 12:14

I think we are seeing the exact same thing chucker. Even if being said differently.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-19, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Or you could, y'know, get a MacBook Air. Yeah, I know, no touch, and no detachable keyboard. But macOS is so much more coherent at this it's not even funny. And the excuse of iPadOS being young doesn't hold. The iPad is ten years old. When the Mac was ten years old, System 7.5 came out. Multitasking? The laptop and desktop form factors? Handling files? Those were all settled. None of them are on the iPad.

The iPad lacks strong leadership.
I agree with this.

Quote:
I doubt it. Google et al would love that, but Apple wouldn't: they need reasons you buy their pricey hardware, and having a fast, comfortable machine is one such reason. If you don't need that because the apps run remotely anyway, why not just buy a Chromebook?
I will never buy any productivity device that requires internet connectivity. A "computer" that cannot be used without the internet is just dumb.

Also, I think a lot of people buy these things because they are shiny and new, not because they are ever actually going to use them. I sell a lot of MacBooks to people who bought an iPad thinking it would replace their Mac, but it never really could.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-19, 12:32

While I completely agrees with the need to be able to function on it's own without an internet connection, this is not the trend across the board. SaaS is the latest in continuous revenue streams and almost all businesses are pushing to move to that style of income. One and done idea of buying is going out the window. This means more services and subscriptions. An iPad fits in to that model really well.

chucker

2020-03-19, 13:52

Quote:
While I completely agrees with the need to be able to function on it's own without an internet connection, this is not the trend across the board. SaaS is the latest in continuous revenue streams and almost all businesses are pushing to move to that style of income. One and done idea of buying is going out the window. This means more services and subscriptions. An iPad fits in to that model really well.
Right. What Apple wants is rich local applications enhanced by subscription services.

What most others (who aren't in the business of high-margin hardware) want is to largely cut out the local apps altogether.
chucker

2020-03-19, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I will never buy any productivity device that requires internet connectivity. A "computer" that cannot be used without the internet is just dumb.
This is one of the areas where Apple's business interests (sell pricey, capable hardware) align with mine: get hardware so capable it can work independently. It also aligns well with their privacy marketing.

Quote:
Also, I think a lot of people buy these things because they are shiny and new, not because they are ever actually going to use them. I sell a lot of MacBooks to people who bought an iPad thinking it would replace their Mac, but it never really could.
Yeah. Could be a generational thing, too. Gen Z basically grows up with touch UI.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-19, 14:06

Quote:
Yeah. Could be a generational thing, too. Gen Z basically grows up with touch UI.
Yep. And then they wind up buying a laptop for college because productivity apps generally suck on touch-based devices.
chucker

2020-03-19, 16:22

Quote:
Yep. And then they wind up buying a laptop for college because productivity apps generally suck on touch-based devices.
OK, maybe, but that presupposes two things: that current productivity apps will always be poor on touch, and that what we define as productivity apps will remain the same.

If you look at the GUI revolution in the 1980s, neither of those held true — pessimists thought real men™ couldn't be productive outside of a CLI, and they also overlooked that entire new categories like DTP would suddenly become highly "productive".

So far, I'm disappointed at how slowly this has panned out for touch. But I still have hope. And if it does happen, we'll suddenly be the old curmudgeons, and Microsoft's Windows 8 and Apple's "what's a computer?" will be partially redeemed.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-19, 16:43

I agree. Pages (and Word) on the iPad has moved very, very slowly*. It's sucked so badly for so long that the entire spectrum is ready for disruption, and it will likely come from somewhere other than Apple/Microsoft. Someone (maybe Apple, but I don't know) is going to take this new ball-pointer thing that Apple has offered and run with it. There is a lot of room in the word processing space for movement, and it needs moving. The whole thing is so bad that I ask people if they like to write, and if they do I immediately steer them to the laptop, because the iPad sucks in that space.

*I am convinced this is because word processor development is still stuck in 1990.