AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Cynicism Unplugged: Dealing with Society

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cynicism Unplugged: Dealing with Society
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-05-29, 16:31

This thread is beginning to make me fear that America is going emo...
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-05-29, 16:35

This realm is samsara,and it is characterized by the three marks of existence, namely impermanence, dissatisfactoriness/suffering, and the lack of an eternal, unchanging self. On top of all of that, we live in the Kali Yuga, or the degenerate age.

Basically, Buddhists see this world as one that will always be one of ignorance, greed, and hatred. In fact, we live in a time where these qualities are seen as praise-worthy, while their opposites, wisdom, compassion, and love, are seen as foolish or weak.

How do we stay positive given this worldview? We take refuge in the Buddha (teacher), Dharma (the teachings and path), and the Sangha (the Buddhist community). We believe that, through the cultivation of positive states, and the sowing of good karma, that we can attain rebirth in better realms, or be liberated from rebirth altogether.

Then there are those of us who take on bodhisattva vows, and continue taking rebirth in this and other realms in order to lead other beings to liberation. A path for hero personalities with self-abuse issues . Examples of this are the reincarnate lamas in Tibetan Buddhism.

So, I stay positive by practicing my religion, and trying to avoid nasty people who have no interest in being nice or overcoming their ignorance (some of them, not mentioning any names, haven't even noticed that they're on my ignore list). So, since you asked, that's my way of coping!

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-05-29, 18:20

Buddha FTW.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-05-29, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Have you guys seen Patton Oswalt's tirade about the KFC Famous Bowls?

Some NSFW language, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-oxsMl3iCA
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-05-29, 18:49

Potato-Bacon Bombs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPCB5...eature=related

LMFAO!

apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-05-29, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
It's always been this bad, if not worse. It's just technology making everyone aware of all the bad things going on, making it seem like it's gotten worse.
50 years ago, the earthquake in china would have been nothing more than a small blurb, now it's been frontpage stuff for weeks.
The same is true about all the (more-or-less) minor skirmishes in africa. Without todays pervasive communications technology, we wouldn't know much about it.
With every police chase being recorded on video and every murder announced on Fox News, of course we'll hear more about the bad stuff.
Exactly right. Imagine if millions of WWII deaths had been seen on TV, or the million deaths in the Iran-Iraq War, etc., etc.? In the grand scheme of things, as much as some pessimism is warranted, 2008 is a day at the carnival compared to what could have been seen on TV in the '40s (WWII), '60s/'70s (Vietnam), '80s (Iran-Iraq War), etc.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2008-06-08, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Of Love View Post

I've been cutting a video to this song at the French Open for a sort of "goody reel". Putting all sorts of grumbling and racket throwing in!!

As promised....

/Just click on the window, opens a new page.... Enjoy!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-06-08, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Of Love View Post
As promised....

/Just click on the window, opens a new page.... Enjoy!
That's hilarious. Thanks...
Wrao
Yarp

2008-06-08, 10:58

People are pretty dumb(myself included) but I am less worried about this and more worried about the fact that people are so damn fearful all the time. Whenever anything goes wrong, more often than not, people slip into an increasingly irrational and debilitating fear of changing that not only gets in the way of otherwise decent thinking(or at least the potential thereof) but prevents any workable solution from existing.

A lot of spat is being made over Global Warming, running out of oil, renewable energy, corn, and the future of the human civilization. There is no shortage of doomsayers pissing everyone off, but sadly, there is also no shortage of people who would rather be paralysed by their fears than even consider that just maybe, these 'growing pains' could escalate to reveal harmful repercussions, maybe even very harmful, and that solutions are not just going to appear to bail us out. That solutions can only come about from not being a fuck and actually working for them.

I bring up energy because I am of the mindset that when energy is in flow, society is better off, and I think the fact that uncertainty has been revealed about the future of our energy production capabilities has greatly exacerbated tensions and fear-induced stupidity all over.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-06-08, 12:07

People today are the same as they've always been. If for some reason you believe there's been a change, I believe you need to understand that the change is one of perspective.

I've read translations of ancient Greek philosophers musings where they lament the changes of the day, the attitude of the kids, and the failings of society. Yes, since there has been recorded word, folks have been railing against the same things they rail against today.

Times change, people don't.

real hackers don't use sigs