AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Thoughts on Smugmug?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Thoughts on Smugmug?
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2011-08-20, 15:37

I am getting more serious with certain aspects of my photography, but I am finding the services that I currently use do not afford me a lot of control over my pictures and what people are allowed to do with them. So I have been searching and looking at various hosting sites like Flickr, Smugmug, and Zenfolio in order to create a good looking portfolio.

I really like the ability to control and tweak the look of your page as I would want to add it to my personal blog. Social integration and mobile sites are also a plus. I hadn't given much thought on selling my photos online, but Smugmug really seems too good to be true. Especially since I live in Canada and the majority of those who have expressed an interest in my photographs also live in Canada.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of services? Maybe suggestions on other companies to look at? Is selling prints through Smugmug as good as people say it is? Things to watch out for?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-08-20, 18:50

I've been using Smugmug for almost two years now and I like the service, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I haven't got any prints from them, but I've heard the quality is good. Smugmug doesn't do prints themselves, they use Bayphoto or ezprints (your choice). If you just want to sell images through a stock photo company, 500px.com is based out of Tronto.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-08-20, 19:25

I've ordered prints and they were very nice. That's all I know...

Eugene
careful with axes

2011-08-20, 19:57

I think the most important aspect is ease of browsing albums (by people who have never used the service), and in that respect I think SmugMug is less intuitive than Flickr. Though on the other hand, Flickr has gotten more complicated also.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2011-08-20, 20:04

Flickr also takes a larger cut from your sales.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2011-08-20, 22:02

Hmm, I hadn't thought to take a closer look at 500px but knowing that they are a local company I am going to give it more consideration. I have read great things about it (except for the dislike button) and it certainly has most of the features I am looking for.

Is there a particular reason that you went with Smugmug PB PM?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2011-08-20, 23:47

Mostly the customization that Smugmug offers drew me in. I looked at Zenfolio and a few other sites, but didn't like them as much. 500px is more of a sharing service, like flickr, with the ability to sell images through a stock photo agency. Smugmug allows you to create a unique site, with the pro level account only. Smugmug also allows me to set my own prices, along with the types of prints that are available to customers. Smugmug and a number of those other sites do offer trial periods (Smugmug is 30 Days), so it cannot hurt to try it a little before buying in. If you do end up being interested in Smugmug let me know, I can give a discount code.

Flickr and 500px are a lot less expensive, but they are a lot less flexible. I still have a 500px account, but only a free one, as the community there is far more active than Smugmug.

My 500px vs my Smugmug website.