Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Should I buy one now or wait a few months
Buy it now! 17 37.78%
Wait a few months. 28 62.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Macbook Pro Buy Now Or Wait A Little?
section8joe

2006-01-11, 15:52

Should I buy one now or wait until some of the potential bugs are worked out?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-11, 15:59

Advice about purchasing? Hmmmm...I wonder where that should be....?

Meanwhile, the usual advice stands. Do you need it now? Thats the only question really.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-11, 16:03

If you're gonna buy it, buy it now. Sure there may be bugs to get worked out but you can either a) wait a couple of days from time to time while the computer gets serviced (for a total of 6-8 days for 3 or 4 repairs) or b) wait a couple of months for these bugs to be "worked out".

If you're pretty sure you're getting one before the next 3 or so months (IOW, before there is a revision to the line), do it as close to the date they're released as possible. Just my 2ยข.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-01-11, 16:05

I was tiny bit worried too about the MacBook Pro having some issues, but by that time Gary at PowerMax already had my credit card number.

Last edited by NosferaDrew : 2006-01-11 at 17:44.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-01-11, 17:08

If you need it now, buy it now. Don't worry too much about any potential Rev. A problems - my dad has had a pretty good track record with Rev. A products. So far, he's had a PB 5300, a Rev. A PB G3, and a Rev. A TiBook. The only one that's had major problems is the 5300, but the whole product line had big problems too. In fact, he still uses the TiBook today, and is looking to get a "Macbook Pro."
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-01-11, 17:13

Real men don't worry about Rev. A issues. Order it now, or go get some new panties and tissues.

Shit, I'm a poet and had no idea.
section8joe

2006-01-11, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Real men don't worry about Rev. A issues. Order it now, or go get some new panties and tissues.

WOW!!!
shell

2006-01-11, 18:01

If its what you want, go for it. If you must have a 17', you should wait. If you must have FW 800, by all means wait. It all depends on what you need.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2006-01-11, 18:07

Quote:

Truer words have never been spoken.

I've got the dreaded rev. A iMac, and I only glow a little in the dark!

Buy Applecare. Buy Applecare. Buy Applecare. Buy Applecare. Buy Applecare. Buy Applecare. Buy Applecare.

If there's a major defect like the TiBook spots, they'll fix it for free.
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2006-01-11, 18:30

Quote:

Deep. :smokey:
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2006-01-12, 09:43

Buy it Now, and if you don't like, ship it my way.
sildani

Send a message via AIM to sildani  
2006-01-13, 11:11

I am wrestling with the same issue. I play World of Warcraft on my powerbook and would love to get better performance. I think the advice "if you need now buy now, otherwise wait" is good advice.

Sure, it always pays to wait because you can, generally speaking, get better gear for less money down the road. But to wait for that "perfect product/price point" is worthless I think because REGARDLESS of when you buy, what you buy will always be out of date within 6 months. Ergo, if you need it, don't wait to buy. And if you don't need it, buying now is OK too, but waiting never hurts.

Let us know what you decide!

Check out the bluehair page for some witty, ad-free commentary on life as we know it.
sildani

Send a message via AIM to sildani  
2006-01-13, 11:13

BTW, I am buying now (even though I bought my Powerbook last September, right before the refresh). My wife is retiring her 12" 867MHz PB, getting my current 15" 1.67 GHz PB, and I get the new one baby! Yeah, my wife gets all the hand me downs. But she doesn't play WoW either! heh heh

Check out the bluehair page for some witty, ad-free commentary on life as we know it.
mowenbrown

2006-01-13, 16:53

I am going to wait at a very minimum until a few weeks after the initial units ship, and the other forum members can test it out for me. My holdover iBook has plenty of legs left, the only rush is simply wanting the FedEx man drop off a new toy.

""The end of the world, most experts agree, will come about as a result of an accident. That's where we come in: we're computer professionals, and we cause accidents."
-unknown