AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Buy Plasma TV now or wait for OLED?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buy Plasma TV now or wait for OLED?
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-08-12, 12:50

My dad wants to get a 42" Hitachi Plasma TV and it costs about 2000 Euros.

Is it a good idea to buy now or wait for the OLED TVs? Does anyone have an idea how long it will take till OLED technology comes into sizes as 42"?

Thanks.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-08-12, 13:14

OLED is going to take a while before they get to 40+ inches. It's promising tech but they haven't seem to be able to make'em large. If the Plasma looks good I'd say go for it. There doesn't seem to be much on the horizon that will cause your father to regret his purchase. LCD and LCOS are competing but neither has an advantage overall over plasma.

omgwtfbbq
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-12, 13:28

I've read a lot about plasma and the word is that they have screen burn and heat problems. They only last about 10 years because of the backlight in them. Not only that but they have problems displaying blacks and some blues. So I'd say wait a while and see where the tech goes.

Come waste your time with me
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-12, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong
My dad wants to get a 42" Hitachi Plasma TV and it costs about 2000 Euros.
2000 euros? Maybe it's time for me to jump on the flat-TV bandwagon. I thought they were still 4000+ euro.

BTW: I certainly would not wait for an OLED large screen TV. OLED screens are barely reaching cell phones and aren't in laptops yet. So I imagine OLED TVs are very far off.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-08-12, 14:45

42inch plasma for 2000 euros is very cheap specially that its a hitachi. definetly go for it there must be some kind of mistake with the price.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-08-12, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
42inch plasma for 2000 euros is very cheap specially that its a hitachi. definetly go for it there must be some kind of mistake with the price.

The Plasma display IS hitachi and 2000 euros, but it doesn't come with a TV tuner or speakers.

The picture quality seems quite good, only slightly less good than really expensive Sony plasma displays, though def not as good contrast as a Sharp Plasma.

Is it still cheap?
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-08-12, 20:03

Plasma TVs: In a word, 'shite'.

Blurry, extremely low response time, failure prone, low resolution, very expensive... wouldn't touch one with a 10 metre pole. TVs for over-sexed yuppies. Better off with a regular TV and spending the money you save elsewhere, or buying a computer with a TV tuner and a flat panel.

Barto

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-08-13, 01:52

stevegong most of the plasmas come without speakers or a tv tuner.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-08-13, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
Plasma TVs: In a word, 'shite'.

Blurry, extremely low response time, failure prone, low resolution, very expensive... wouldn't touch one with a 10 metre pole. TVs for over-sexed yuppies. Better off with a regular TV and spending the money you save elsewhere, or buying a computer with a TV tuner and a flat panel.

Barto
Are you sure you're not talking about projection tv's?

I am a person who's very anal about picture quality and anal about things in general. I have found the plasma picture quality to be very good. The resolution of the hitachi plasma screen we want to get is 1024 X the equivalent of 16:9.

Normal tv's don't seem to go to 42", that' why we're looking at the plasma tv's.

We don't plan to watch TV on the plasma tv, because we have an existing Sony 29" to do that, and it would be a waste just to watch normal tv on the plasma anyway.

I think we're going to go get the TV today. We're getting a Sony dolby digital/DTS amplifier too, since we used to only have Dolby surround. We already have good Infinity speakers.

I'll tell you guys how it all will be.

Thanks for the advice.