The Great AppleNova Server Move of 2008

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Great AppleNova Server Move of 2008
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-04-12, 13:38

How much space does the new server have? Enough for attachment allowance?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-04-12, 13:46

holy working website, batman!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-04-12, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
How much space does the new server have? Enough for attachment allowance?
For everyone except you.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-12, 13:55

Quote:
How much space does the new server have?
Less space than the old server! Dreamhost sneakily oversold on lies and empty promises claimed to supply our account with a whopping 300 GB of space, more than a magnitude greater than what we currently have.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-04-12, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
For everyone except you.
I saw that coming. You've changed!
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-04-12, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Bah! The move has not only deprived me of sleep but also my sarcasm detector! I guess I need to eat some lunch and recalibrate.
And they say sleep deprivation isn't an effective method of wearing people down?

Anyway, all is well here in Mexico. It might only be a placebo effect, but the site seems much, much faster than what I'd been experiencing for the last few weeks.

Well done, and thanks.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-04-12, 20:00

Quote:
I saw that coming. You've changed!
I had to. I'd spilled something down that shirt.
Jerman

2008-04-12, 20:03

Great work Brad! This piqued my interest in virtual hosting, so much so that I now have a Linode account. Awesome stuff, the site seems so much more snappy™ now!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-12, 21:21

Yeah, this site is running faster on the loads here for me too. I'm very grateful too, I missed the old speeds before the blackout.

Can we get less time in between searches now?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-04-12, 21:25

Awesome work Brad. Everything is super zippy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Can we get less time in between searches now?
Are you really encountering this, turtle2472? Or further probing Brad's sarcasm-o-meter? I've haven't had the between search time limit happen.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-04-12, 21:57

Interesting. I tried to get on AN all day on our Mini downstairs, but always got the 'WE'RE MOVING' page. I tried upstairs just now for the first time on our iMac, and no problem. I went back downstairs, and the Mini is still not connecting. It must be something to do with the wireless router. The Mini connects wirelessly to the 'net through the router. The iMac is connected to the router as well, but through a cable connection.

Anyway, the site is nice and fast, but looks a bit rough in Safari. Kind of like it looks on IE on my computer at work. Unfinished.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-12, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Awesome work Brad. Everything is super zippy. Are you really encountering this, turtle2472? Or further probing Brad's sarcasm-o-meter? I've haven't had the between search time limit happen.
No, I really run into it. It used to be 15 seconds and then up to 45 while at DreamHost. It would get bumped up during keynote events too. Anyway, yeah, I really encounter it all the time. It's just the way I browse the forums.

Edit: I just noticed it's down to 30 second delay now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-04-12, 23:00

The router sounds like it has a self-contained DNS cache to make it snappier®.

Tell it to grab new DNS info and it should be fine.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-04-13, 15:06

Quote:
Excellent. Well, since it looks like you and a few others are finding your way to the new server without much trouble, I think it's time for me to catch a little sleep.
Hey, Brad, thank you *so* much for all the time and effort you spend on our site, and thanks for sacrificing your sleep to keep us up and running.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-04-13, 22:43

Brad: I second Carol's kudos. Thanks a bunch, and then some!

PS: The new host is most definitely snappier. Makes my $15 a month Verizon DSL feel like cable.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-04-13, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Anyway, yeah, I really encounter it all the time. It's just the way I browse the forums.
Let me guess: view today's posts/view new posts, click an interesting one, read the new bits, go back to the search link, but get the "must wait x number of seconds more" message? This happens to me SO MUCH as well, likely because that's exactly how I browse the forums.

Speaking of that error, I sometimes get this:

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 31 seconds."

That happen to anyone else?

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-13, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Let me guess: view today's posts/view new posts, click an interesting one, read the new bits, go back to the search link, but get the "must wait x number of seconds more" message? This happens to me SO MUCH as well, likely because that's exactly how I browse the forums.
Try command-clicking those links to open in new tabs so you don't have to execute a new search each time.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-14, 13:23

Quote:
Yep, that's how I browse the forums here.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-04-14, 14:55

Quote:
Try command-clicking those links to open in new tabs so you don't have to execute a new search each time.
Having done that so far today, it seems to be useful. I can't believe I never thought about that before!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-14, 16:59

Quote:
Having done that so far today, it seems to be useful. I can't believe I never thought about that before!
That's pretty much the only way I browse AppleNova. I fire up View Today's/New Posts and then command-click all of the threads.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-04-14, 18:33

Same here. Except I haven't worked out how to get that functionality on the N95 when I surf via the mobile.

Btw, belated thanks for your efforts with this move Brad - it's a much more responsive and enjoyable experience now.

All I want is a simple life
twitter