User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

New Apple, oh wait I mean Microsoft store opening vid!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Apple, oh wait I mean Microsoft store opening vid!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Miko
Veteran Member

2009-10-22, 13:46

From YouTube I really think they used what use to be an Apple store and just rebranded the damn thing! "Pure Microsoft" Complete with clapping and yelling staff wearing lanyards and colorful tees.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-10-22, 13:55

ROTFL

1) Are you sure this isn't the Apple Store?
2) I think there are more employees than customers
3) I hope they all have had their flu shots with all that high fiving
4) UR TRYIN 2 HARD
Miko
Veteran Member

2009-10-22, 14:02

LOL @ 3) Not only will your computer get a virus, but you will too!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-22, 14:03

Holy smokes, they don't even try anymore, do they? That's an Apple Store! It has to be.

Seriously...the side shelving/desks, the tables, the flooring, the decor and signage, the employee "enthusiasm" (please...), the window display, etc.

Everything.

Why not at least try to stand out, or do something novel or unique? Just for giggles and "to prove we can" reasons, if nothing else?

Are these even necessary? When you've got 90-95% of the world already eating at your trough, do you have to go and play "us too!" and try to out-Apple Apple at every turn?!

Apparently so.

Oh, okay...the tables are black, and the wood is maybe a bit darker. They're visionaries after all!

Honestly...are we to believe that hardwood flooring, sleek tables, glass, etc. is the only way to go about a "computer store"? If they'd had a different look, materials, layout, etc., then I'd have nothing to say. But they went straight for (again) the "copy Apple and tweak it just enough that we don't get in legal trouble, but not enough so we look like we might actually have a little originality and vision."

I really don't know why anyone would, on their own, throw in with this lot. Why not just get the original version, done better and smarter, and go with a Mac/iPod/OS X? Why the dilution, and unnecessary addition of WTF?!

Everything about them is beyond cheesy and lame. And the harder they try to not be that, the more they are! It's almost freaky and mystical how backwards that all works. It would almost be sad if it wasn't so damn funny.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-10-22, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Oh, okay...the tables are black, and the wood is maybe a bit darker. They're visionaries after all!
That was exactly my thought when I saw it - fricking hilarious!

Every time they try to be "like the cool kid", they come off looking like the biggest dorks. The sea of staff in colour coded shirts all pretending to be excited to be there. The people in line trying to avoid giving them high fives. The terrible quality of the video.

And all of this from a company with boatloads of money.

I'm glad they did it, though. I needed the laugh today.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-10-22, 14:49

MS, got to love them, they copy things a little too well.
Noel

2009-10-22, 14:59

Quote:
It would almost be sad funny if it wasn't so damn funny sad.
T,FTFY
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-22, 15:03

No, I had it right the first time.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-10-22, 15:10

Ballmer was in my city yesterday talking to Microsoft employees.
He appeared on a CBC program and he went on to talk about innovation at MS.

Um...looks more like imitation.

But the host got him to admit that Apple was a competitor. Although he prefaced that by saying that there will be 300 million PC sold this year vs 10-20 Macs. Of course, he didn't bother to say, MS doesn't actually sell any hardware computers.

Here's the link. Not sure if it's viewable by region only.
Miko
Veteran Member

2009-10-22, 16:56

Gizmodo put up a detailed gallery of pics from the store opening and some of the the various sections found inside. Looks like they partnered up with Dell on the hardware front.
CitizenTony

2009-10-22, 17:18

It does look a bit Apple store, doesn't it? I can't blame them though. Apple is experiencing great success from their layout and method. Why wouldn't another retail store that sells much of the same type of product copy something so successful?

As far as I've noticed when I go shopping, most similar stores are almost a carbon copy of each other. Wal-Mart v. Target, Sears v. JCPenney, etc. They're all the same.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-22, 17:25

I suppose. It's just funnier when it's Microsoft and Apple, I guess. Already a good bit of history and "oh...us too!" at play, you know...

I can see the idea/concept being something to emulate, sure...an open, clean, wide-open store where customers can try out your products and experience their benefits and for themselves, hands-on. But to extend it to the very design, decor, furnishing, layout, displays, signage, employee wardrobe, etc. (as though people aren't already on them for aping Apple at every turn)?

Come on. Is it that hard to inject a smidge of "we're our own company!" into such a thing?

They could have easily gone for the opposite vibe: darker, cozier, different materials and tones, etc. Used designers and retail consultants (goodness knows they've got the money to hire all kinds) to whip up a very distinct "we're not an Apple store" look and mood.

But they didn't.

And there isn't a soul on the planet who is surprised or shocked by that.

Jason
Veteran Member

2009-10-22, 17:38

Just ...embarrassing.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-10-22, 17:59

Yes, they copied..... but... will they be successful?

I actually think they will. There are a lot of people out there who have been attracted to Apple or jumped to Apple just because going into an Apple Store opens you up to the world of Apple and peripherals, and solutions and software.... it showed how cool all of Apple's stuff was and made it accessible.

The Microsoft store, from the photos, also does this for the MS brand, and yes, part of that is because they copied the Apple store... but the store certainly makes going to buy a PC a far easier and more enjoyable experience. It's nice to have the options and competition laid out on tables like that. It's nice to be able to move things around, pick them up, see what accessories are available, see products side by side.... we have taken that for granted with the Apple stores... this brings the Apple store experience to the PC world... and just based on the photos... I think they will be successful. Best Buy, CompUSA, etc have never been good PC purchasing experiences and are completely different than this.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-10-22, 18:24

My question was that if they're selling computers, are they also supporting them at their genius bar? If somebody buys an HP laptop and the screen breaks, do they deal with HP directly or can they bring it back to the MS store?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-22, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Yes, they copied..... but... will they be successful?

I actually think they will. There are a lot of people out there who have been attracted to Apple or jumped to Apple just because going into an Apple Store opens you up to the world of Apple and peripherals, and solutions and software.... it showed how cool all of Apple's stuff was and made it accessible.

The Microsoft store, from the photos, also does this for the MS brand, and yes, part of that is because they copied the Apple store... but the store certainly makes going to buy a PC a far easier and more enjoyable experience. It's nice to have the options and competition laid out on tables like that. It's nice to be able to move things around, pick them up, see what accessories are available, see products side by side.... we have taken that for granted with the Apple stores... this brings the Apple store experience to the PC world... and just based on the photos... I think they will be successful. Best Buy, CompUSA, etc have never been good PC purchasing experiences and are completely different than this.
I guess I disagree because I think, in some ways, they might just be putting a silk Band-Aid on the golden goose. Okay, I'm bad with metaphors...

But seriously, they can dress it up and give it that good "Apple vibe", but (and this isn't Microsoft's "fault"...it's just the way it is), but so much of one's hassles stems from the very nature of that platform, where there are so many variables within the OS, hardware, software, third-party peripherals, etc. I know some of that applies to Macs and the things you can buy, but the solid, front-end foundation of a system where the computer, OS and main "marquee" apps are designed and put together by the same company...that's just something these other guys will always be chasing, IMO.

So, yes. It looks great, has a clean, open "try it" vibe. But, in the end, when people get home and it's still Windows, it's still the same things, right or wrong, that irks and scares people, etc., I don't know how much success that will foster.

Plus, as I said earlier, it almost strikes me as a "why?" sort of situation...a solution in search of a problem. It's not like Windows, PCs and all that goes with it are some niche, underrepresented "underdog" in all this. It's the easiest thing in the world to go out, find and then buy a Windows-based PC and software/accessories for it. You can swing a dead cat and pretty much be guaranteed to hit some sort of store selling PCs, Windows, Microsoft products, PC software, etc. Walmart, all the office supply stores, all the electronics/gizmo stores, tons of mom-and-pop PC outfits in strip malls and business parks from here to Seattle, etc.

Apple kinda had to do their stores because a) they weren't in every single electronics/big box store out there, and b) in the places they were (CompUSA, Circuit City, etc.), they were getting lousy representation and set-up (if not outright worked over and neglected by indifferent, anti-Mac staff...I saw this on numerous occasions at CompUSA and Frys in SoCal). I shudder to think where things might be had Apple never made this retail move. It made a lot of sense for them, in the position they were (and are, still) in.

Truthfully? I can see this going "bust" in a major way. I really can. I don't think the average joe is as smitten with the known (Microsoft) as they are vaguely intrigued by that other outfit that "makes them dang iPods".

In a nutshell? I think familiarity has bred a whole hell of a lot of contempt...

"Do I really need to go to some dedicated, focused store based around the OS and company that's been cornholing my computer-using life for 11 years? Uh...no."

I think many people, whether they realize it or not, have almost adopted a "screw it" attitude and approach. They'll walk into Best Buy, get what they need, dread it like hell on the drive home, hope and pray the install/set-up goes okay, have tech support or God on speed dial, etc. I don't know if a pretty store is going to change years and years of "OMG, WTF won't this #%$#@^^ piece of $@%^## #%% work the right @$%^# way? All I %#^^@@ did was update a %#^#@ driver!"

I could be wrong, and it'll be interesting if we all kinda meet back here in, say, 12 months to see where it all stands.

Will the Scottsdale store even be open? Will any? Or will there be 50-100, thriving and doing solid, respectable business?

My gut - considering history and the company involved - tells me this probably won't amount to much, in the end.

Just my honest opinion. Sure, they can base it all on a proven approach, but, underneath it all, is it on a firm, meaningful foundation? Does it exist just to exist, or will it truly make a difference? A big part of me can't help but think "it's too little, too late".

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2009-10-22, 19:30

The variety of options is an advantage for Microsoft and PCs... hence their recent commercials.

MS does a lot of things wrong, but their recent ad campaign, along with these stores shows at least some intelligence and insight into their problems. Of course copying Apple to resolve those problems is funny, but I do think these stores have the potential to be considered a success.

Despite what you say, it is NOT easy to buy a PC today... it is very confusing. Apple's advantage of not having a lot of choices is that their product line is linear and makes sense for the most part. You pay more you get more, etc. PCs are all over the place. MS seems to be tackling this well with their stores. Showcasing the top 3-5 options for each market... small laptops.... medium... desktop replacements.... minitowers... all-in-ones... media centers... etc.

Just saying, these MS stores certainly improve the PC buying experience. I don't think you can deny that. How much of a success they turn out to be remains to be seen but I don't see any reason to think they will fail. They seem to have not made all the mistakes that Dell made with their stores.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-10-22, 19:39

Quote:
Plus, as I said earlier, it almost strikes me as a "why?" sort of situation...a solution in search of a problem.
That's exactly it.

People go into an Apple store to try out something totally new to them (unless they're already converts, obviously). Who the hell goes into a store to "try out" something they already have at home? It's weird.

And the fact that they don't really sell much of anything. How many people go out and buy Windows, anyway? From what I gather (and I could be quite wrong here), most people just get whatever comes with their computer. So did they open these Microsoft stores to sell Dell computers or something? It really doesn't make any sense to me...

Unless they're built out of Zunes!

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Jason
Veteran Member

2009-10-22, 21:14

Watching this video makes my flesh crawl. It's just the whole 'we couldn't think of something original - so we just copy someone else's idea.'

normally, I don't get too worked up about MS and their lack of vision and innnovation but this kind of thing really makes me despise them.
Miko
Veteran Member

2009-10-22, 21:17

Quote:
The variety of options is an advantage for Microsoft and PCs... hence their recent commercials.
That's the problem.

The way I see it, these stores will provide a better buying experience with out a doubt, Best Buy and Micro Center etc. experience really blows, but here is where I see the two retail models splitting.

Apple makes the Hardware and the Software which in turns allows them to create a better customer experience and meet those quality expectations. If I had to put a percentage on the stock/inventory found in the Apple stores 60 - 70% would be Apple hardware, software and accessories. Microsoft sells Windows7, Zunes and Xbox 360s ok and accessories too. So I would put theirs at 30% Everything else will be from Dell, SONY, HP, Acer etc. so basically turning these stores into mini Best Buys.

Their staff better know every detail of every PC they stock and swap out, say what you will, but having a line-up of three desktops and four notebooks is a lot easier to master than the hodgepodge of plastic that you're going to find at the Windows store that will get swapped out every couple of months. If it get's to the point where someone asks a questions and they get an answer like "I'm not sure let me look that up for you" just find the nearest exit.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that Apple is a company that prides itself on the complete experience from the products, to the website, to the retail stores. This is very much a niche market >enter whatever car analogy you want here< with a great standard of reliability. Microsoft will have a Hell of a time creating that kinda experience when dealing with all those PCs because they are a Software company first, that makes some hardware. I see a very busy Guru Bar in the future.

BTW, I really don't see too many gamers going to a Windows store for Xbox titles, gear and all. There are dedicated stores for gamers and they know what they are doing and want.

Just thought I'd post a video of a more recent Apple store opening for reference. OK this now becomes alarming go to 3:25 or the 7:00 min mark to skip the BS.

Last edited by Miko : 2009-10-22 at 22:52.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-22, 22:31

It's like they aren't even trying.

Oh, wait - they are trying. They want to rip off Apple.

There's so much cool stuff you can do with a retail space! It really is mind-boggling that they arrive at essentially the exact same place as Apple. Especially since they're selling such different products!

Oh, and that new Microsoft store logo is u-g-l-y. It's not substantially different than the Windows "flag," just less ownable - what's the point, really?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Jason
Veteran Member

2009-10-23, 02:56

Paul and everyone else bring up a lot of good points but as to the reason why MS are doing this - it's simply because they can. They don't need to - they already own something like 90% of the computer market but there reasoning says "hell! Throw some dough in that direction - it's only money.

Look at all the other things they've tried - like those Seinfield Ads - they have money to literally throw away.

And I believe that's what they're doing withvghis latest venture.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2009-10-23, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
Just thought I'd post a video of a more recent Apple store opening for reference. OK this now becomes alarming go to 3:25 or the 7:00 min mark to skip the BS.
That was actually disturbing.
SpecMode
Wait what

2009-10-23, 07:42

I can't wait to see Apple's reaction to this at WWDC next year. I just hope they let Bertrand do the honors.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2009-10-23, 08:10

That store's an experiment. It will close. In all likelihood a marketting type suggested it as a project to gauge the viability of a standalone retail store. They have the money, as others have already noted.

It's just that they have nothing to sell in this type of format. Their biggest customers are OEM install, business, institutions. It just doesn't fit their product matrix. It would be better to break their sales into three main parts:

1.) Develop a really good online store for consumers with lots of little value added freebies and content.

2.) A clean, no bullshit, professional gateway for sales, support, etc of their larger customers, MCSE certifications, and that other stuff people who know computers do...

3.) A killer Microsoft Aisle for plases like Best Buy...

About the "launch". In my work we do a lot of promo with people who know what they're doing. The field naturally attracts more enegrgetic responses, but even I sometimes wonder about the cheerleading that goes on.

That's retail, and it's different, but even by sometimes nauseatingly fake standards of corporate promo that was horrible; quite Ballmer-esque...

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2009-10-23, 08:18

MS has/had a retail store in San Fransisco somewhere -- was it the airport, or maybe it was in the Yerba Buena Shopping Center? It was designed by Neil Denari, who is sort of yesterday's news as far as silly po-mo architecture goes. Interestingly enough, he doesn't have it on his website, nor can I find any decent images of it now. It only sold SWAG types of stuff for the most part, but it was interesting and original in its facade at least though the interior was far more conventional and cluttered/busy which is how Denari likes it (the busy part, that is).
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-10-23, 08:22

I think it'll do well.

For the mere reason there are Mac fanboys, there are avid PC users who have been waiting for something from MS to rally behind. Coupled with the launch of Windows 7, they finally have an OS they can brag about. While it may not be OSX great, it's 'good enough' for the general masses who eat up mediocrity.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-23, 08:40

I understand all that. But does all that actually support such a store/venture, long-term, in any meaningful, legit way?

It can't, for all the reasons laid out above from various posters.
Miko
Veteran Member

2009-10-23, 09:14

Quote:
That was actually disturbing.
It was, but I love that Ex Spice Girl's energy in the front
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2009-10-23, 10:05

Apple's stores have had their current style for a long time. I'm not saying anything's wrong with it per se, but, as others have mentioned, there are a lot of different ways a store like this could be done. Time marches on. In the same way that they restyle their products, Apple could maybe restyle their stores. All I'm saying is it's a possibility - if they came upon a better design... somehow - not that they need to or should do it.

Anyway, the whole point of this post: I think it would be hilarious if Apple suddenly revamped their stores, making Microsoft's brand new store(s?) look like yesterday's news. Like before the end of the year for maximum funny*.

*Obviously, in order for it to happen that soon, it would have had to have been in the works for a while. I am not trying to predict anything or suggest Apple needs to restyle their wonderful stores.

Ugh.