User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Will the iBook be updated before tiger comes out?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Will the iBook be updated before tiger comes out?
macgeek2004

2005-01-19, 19:13

Hi,

I've been planning to get an iBook for a few weeks now, but i noticed that the video card in the current ibooks doesn't support Core Image, in Tiger.

Does anyone know if the video card will be updated before tiger is out? or should i just buy one now, if it's not gonna make a difference.

Thanks
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-19, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2004
Hi,

I've been planning to get an iBook for a few weeks now, but i noticed that the video card in the current ibooks doesn't support Core Image, in Tiger.
We don't know that for certain yet. As some, like Kickaha, have pointed out, the video card list has been removed from Apple's website, perhaps in anticipation of another refined list being added later which may boast that Tiger's CoreVideo, etc., will "function" on a 32MB card (with the proper pixel-thingy ROM installed -- ask someone who knows about that bit). As you may know, a 32MB video card is found in the iBooks.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the video card will be updated before tiger is out? or should i just buy one now, if it's not gonna make a difference.
No idea. The iBooks were last updated in mid-October. I'd hazard a guess and say that they'll get some kind of update before Tiger is released. Now, if you need an iBook now, by all means spring for one. It's not like Tiger will refuse to run on it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-19, 23:04

I'd say that they probably will be but that's because the iBooks will be updated soon, but because Tiger won't be out for a while.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-19, 23:35

I think iBooks may get updated prior to Tiger. I don't think they'll get updated with a CI capable GPU.
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2005-01-19, 23:59

I think the iBook will be updated at around the same time as Tiger. In a few months or so.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-01-20, 00:39

I got 2 bucks on Apple releasing new iBooks and Tiger at the same time... A promo, like when Panther came out with the iBook G4.