Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
September 9 Media Event
Page 2 of 10 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-04, 22:53

I work.

I should have asked for it off (like I do for E3), but I guess it slipped my mind.

Oh well...hopefully I'll have time to peep the news between selling copies of Destiny.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-04, 23:05

They're pretty good about posting the videos ASAP. You'll be able to watch it that evening, for sure. Yeah, with all this secrecy and some genuine unknowns (for once) and the fact it's being streamed, kinda makes me think this might be worth following live. You always want to be able to say, down the road, "hey, I saw when the iWhatever was originally unveiled and shown for the very first time!"

Well, I do anyway...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-04, 23:33

No, I totally get that. I'm a huge nerd for following these sorts of things, even when there isn't a live stream. I just stayed up until an ungodly hour to follow Sony's Tokyo Game Show conference, for crying out loud.

I always take off for E3 (the big video game keynote-apalooza), just so I can follow all the threads (and memes, and meltdowns) live.

Without putting too fine a point on it, it's events like this that emphasize that Apple just isn't a company — there's a very real Apple culture, just like how there's a video game culture and a car culture and a comic book culture. This website itself is a testament to that. And shared experiences like this, when everyone's twitter timelines are freaking out and everybody's digesting the news and being blown away together, are when that culture is most apparent. It brings everyone together, like a Super Bowl for tech nerds. And in true nerd fashion, I think follow along as new technology is introduced (that will totally improve our lives in meaningful ways, guys) is way more interesting than just watching a bunch of lugheads throw a ball around.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-09-04, 23:34

Couple things...

1. U2 is not overrated at all. It's extremely popular these days for nerds to dismiss them as overrated and has-beens... but they are our generations rock legends... they are our Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc. Their music is very much timeless and unique, and they have a distinct sound and style all their own. Their songs are popular across the world and they have several iconic albums that will stand the test of time with rock's greatest. They have continued to explore new ground and write new (good) material where as most bands their age and status will simply phone it in and do the amphitheater circuit every summer. You very well may not like them, and I certainly understand if Bono rubs you the wrong way, but to dismiss their talent, influence, and impact is simply naive and petty.

2. Pearl Jam is a great band that the sum is much better than its individual parts. All of their side projects absolutely suck and not a single one of the band members are excellent musicians on their own. But, if you have ever attended a Pearl Jam concert, there is certainly something different about them as a group than apart, and certainly something different than what their albums portray. They have an incredible knack for horrible producers and awful sound engineering on their albums and their last 3 or 4 albums I think have been pretty much shit. Despite popular belief, their prime was actually Vitalogy, No Code and Yield. Those three albums are possibly the best alternative rock albums you can find. Ironically it's when they lost the mainstream and most people's (incorrect) impressions became stalled on Ten and Vs. Again, you don't have to like them but to say they suck or are the worst band to come out of Seattle is simply naive. Shit, shit and more shit came out of seattle. Most of grunge was absolute shit.

3. If U2's spokesperson said they won't be at the Apple event they won't be there. Period.

4. Apple is really going out of its way to hype this event and also is going out of its way to begin to set expectations... the constant stream of WSJ, Bloomberg and NYTimes leaks and tidbits is no mistake. Apple is confident in what they have and more confident in what they can share. What they are sharing will set the tone for what they aren't. I think this is going to be a really fun and significant Apple event but I think afterwards we are all going to have an "of course that's what it is" moment where we will be surprised... but not that surprised.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-05, 00:49

Nobody denies U2's talent, influence, etc. I was a huge fan as a younger pup, those first 5-6 albums. I just lost interest in the 90's/Achtung Baby period.

This stuff is so subjective anyway.

All the blah blah aside, the most interesting/cool thing (and I was talking about this with someone just a week or so ago) is that they're one of the few bands to be around this long to still have the original lineup intact. Someone's always leaving (or dying) after three-plus decades in rock, so it's cool that's it's still the four (and not just 1-2 of them with some younger, hired studio guns or road/tour members like a lot of bands become after so long).

Not too many acts you can say that about, if you think about it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-05 at 01:34.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-09-05, 02:32

Apologies on derailing this thread, but tired of having words shoved in my mouth again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Again, you don't have to like them but to say they suck or are the worst band to come out of Seattle is simply naive. Shit, shit and more shit came out of seattle. Most of grunge was absolute shit.
To refresh your memory, what was said was actually: "As a Seattle native, to have *that* band be the one that made it biggest in the post-Nirvana vacuum is GALLING. They're McGrunge. :P"

Don't see 'worst band', or 'they suck' anywhere in that.

Pearl Jam was a watered down, commercially acceptable, over-produced-but-safer-for-the-parents-to-buy-the-tots version of grunge, which is precisely what they were marketed as. I stand by my statement, particularly given the explicit context of 'post-Nirvana vacuum'. It's Grunge Lite.

And yes, I have seen them live. As well as Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, The Melvins, and a number of other fantastic local bands from the era, *during* that era, that were much MUCH more indicative of the grunge genre than Pearl Jam was. (Nirvana's album release concert for Bleach was kind of mind-blowingly outstanding, BTW, and I am ever so glad I caught Mother Love Bone at the Croc -- ironically, I preferred that lineup to the band they later became... Pearl Jam.) The local reaction to their meteoric rise when so many other truly excellent bands got left behind was pretty much "Wait, *who*?" Pearl Jam is not bad by any means. Not my particular taste, but not bad. They're just not really what they were marketed as, or billed themselves as. They rode a wave of trendiness that they didn't really match locally. Right time, right place, wrong genre label. Pearl Jam somehow rode Nirvana's train until Cobain's death, and were placed into the limelight as a replacement by LA-based Epic label. Seattleites were left scratching their heads. (Shouldn't have been surprised, Pearl Jam signed with Epic, instead of one of the local labels such as Subpop.)

For being an alternative rock band, they're obviously successful, and for understandable reasons. Live, they have incredible energy, and they work as a unit from end to end. Lyrically, they're complex enough to trigger adolescent feelings of "wow, deep", which never hurts, without *actually* crossing that line into confusing literary elegance. Musically, they are multilayered enough to not be trite, but simple enough to be radio-ready. And Vedder has never seemed to mind the pretty boy position. Nothing against them on those fronts.

*For what they were originally marketed as*, which is grunge, they were, and are, overrated. That was the galling bit. It's as if Papa John's thin crust was marketed as authentic NY pizza, and the rest of the country believed it. NYers would be baffled that anyone would confuse them, no matter how popular it was selling elsewhere. Same here. Pearl Jam is only kinda sorta grunge to most of us who were here then. Trust me, hearing someone from elsewhere say something like "Oh I loved grunge back then, Pearl Jam is great!" is eye-twitch inducing. They were not the band many would have picked to be the successor to Nirvana as the torchbearer for the Seattle music scene lovingly called grunge. Different genre, by local standards. Mother Love Bone was grunge. Pearl Jam was... an LA executive's version of it.

To put it another way...

You don't have to like the genre as it actually existed in Seattle when it was thriving (which you apparently do not from your fecally eloquent description of your feelings on the matter), but for an outsider to think Pearl Jam is a quality representative band of it is simply naive.

And that was my explicit statement. Not that they were globally overrated, or worst band out of Seattle, or they suck, or whatever else you read into it. Just that.

As pscates said, it's subjective blah blah in the end anyway.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-09-05, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Apologies on derailing this thread, but tired of having words shoved in my mouth again.
Well, too late for that, you already began that when you made a completed unrelated reference to the thread topic on how vastly overrated Pearl Jam was and expressed some odd personal chip on your shoulder that THEY are the band from Seattle that made it. If you don't want people to respond as if that is a talking point than why post it?

Quote:
To refresh your memory, what was said was actually: "As a Seattle native, to have *that* band be the one that made it biggest in the post-Nirvana vacuum is GALLING. They're McGrunge. :P"

Don't see 'worst band', or 'they suck' anywhere in that.
If you are going to bitch about having words shoved in your month and then quote yourself to "refresh my memory" why don't you actually be accurate and quote yourself. "Vastly overrated would be Pearl Jam. As a Seattle native, to have *that* band be the one that made it biggest in the post-Nirvana vacuum is GALLING. They're McGrunge. :P" I find it very interesting that you chose not to include that first sentence in your quote and in your aggressive defense against me for "putting words in your mouth."

I don't think it is much of a leap to associate one's feelings of a band being "vastly overrated" with also sucking or being the worst band to come out of seattle.

Also note... you made zero mention of your (weird, and a little over the top) frustration being based on them being labeled a "grunge" band. All you said was it is GALLING to have *THAT* band be the one that made it biggest in the post-Nirvana vacuum.

Well, that doesn't make them vastly overrated. It makes you not a fan. It has nothing to do with grunge, and you trying to namedrop a bunch of early seattle grunge scene bands and clubs does nothing to legitimize your actual original comment. As far as I can tell, the best band to come out of that era, became the biggest band.

Quote:
*For what they were originally marketed as*, which is grunge, they were, and are, overrated.
funny... that's pretty different than your original comment.

And it's also a comment that Pearl Jam itself would likely be fine with. Grunge as a genre is vastly overrated. To call them overrated as far as they were marketed for being a genre that they weren't.... let go....... ..... or move to Portland... the 90s are alive in Portland.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-05, 09:00

Quote:
1. U2 is not overrated at all. It's extremely popular these days for nerds to dismiss them as overrated and has-beens... but they are our generations rock legends... they are our Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc. Their music is very much timeless and unique, and they have a distinct sound and style all their own. Their songs are popular across the world and they have several iconic albums that will stand the test of time with rock's greatest. They have continued to explore new ground and write new (good) material where as most bands their age and status will simply phone it in and do the amphitheater circuit every summer. You very well may not like them, and I certainly understand if Bono rubs you the wrong way, but to dismiss their talent, influence, and impact is simply naive and petty.
Maybe you're older then I am (I'm 30, 31 next month), but they are definitely not my generations rock legend. It has nothing to do with Bono rubbing me the wrong way, I just think their music is awful.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-09-05, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Maybe you're older then I am (I'm 30, 31 next month), but they are definitely not my generations rock legend. It has nothing to do with Bono rubbing me the wrong way, I just think their music is awful.
And who would you say your generations rock legends are then?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2014-09-05, 09:09

seems a bit late in the season for the announcement, but i'm guessing they're going to announce some new school focused initiative, involving the larger screen/format education only ipad.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-09-05, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
seems a bit late in the season for the announcement, but i'm guessing they're going to announce some new school focused initiative, involving the larger screen/format education only ipad.
more likely at the October iPad event, no?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-05, 09:47

Quote:
And who would you say your generations rock legends are then?
I would say Nirvana is more relevant to my generation then U2. Just an example off the top of my head.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-09-05, 09:53

Quote:
I would say Nirvana is more relevant to my generation then U2. Just an example off the top of my head.
Relevant? What does that even mean? No argument that Nirvana may be more influential to music as a whole. But relevant? Again, no idea what you mean by that.

Quote:
but they are our generations rock legends... they are our Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc. Their music is very much timeless and unique, and they have a distinct sound and style all their own. Their songs are popular across the world and they have several iconic albums that will stand the test of time with rock's greatest.
The above is (really inarguably) true of U2. It is not true of Nirvana by any means.

There are actually very few bands from the 80s and 90s that the above is true of.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-05, 10:15

I could go poll 10-20 of my friends and I can't think of any that think U2 or a legend to them or that they grew up on, but I guarantee I could get Nirvana as an answer at a clip of at least 75%. How is it not true for Nirvana? They were recognized in the RnRHoF so it's not like they were just a smaller band that was in the underground. They changed a whole generation of music unlike U2. It's hard for me to give U2 any credit for being a legend for my generation when I was 3 when Joshua Tree came out.

@yontsey
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2014-09-05, 10:54

Quote:
more likely at the October iPad event, no?
I was thinking product intro vs. product availability.

Otherwise I'd expect that hardware is purchased for the year by Oct.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2014-09-05, 11:01

None of these bands are better than Radiohead in its prime. Just saying.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-05, 11:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I would agree. Radiohead is one of my favorite bands of all time, but I don't think they had as big of an impact as Nirvana. Their music was definitely influential and created a change/bridge from what was going on at the time in music, but I think a lot of the lore is because of the suicide. I hate saying that because the music holds up and speaks for itself but Cobains death took it to another level.

@yontsey
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-09-05, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Radiohead are still in their prime.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-05, 12:22

Well, now that we all know whose band is better than whose …

I'm sorry I even commented on the matter with "No. You are not."

Since I started this thread, I would ask a mod to split off the "my band is better than your band" high school B.S. before it totally derails the purpose of the thread in the first place. Personally, I don't give a rip whose band is best. To each his own.

I don't mind talking about music, but arrows are being shot, and that isn't necessary.

As for the media event, U2 has denied any involvement. I'm with BU that their denial is certain and there is no "iphone event/iWatch event" separation. At this point, I don't feel they are involved in any way and that destroys my thinking that the big box is a sound stage. Besides, where would the crowd gather? Certainly, one could not expect to get thousands of people into that space on one side.

But that still leaves the big box. This is something I don't recall Apple ever doing before. As others have pointed out, however, this isn't the first time some company or other has built a temporary fortress for attendees. Even then, the sheer size of the thing is perplexing. Do they need such a big box for demo purposes? Judging from the images, there appear to be a couple areas in the back that incorporate HVAC and other equipment. Also, the front of the building does carry a very characteristic "Apple Store" look to it. I can imagine that, when the veil is dropped, a large, glass/aluminum facade will be revealed making it seem like Apple has moved one of their trademark stores onto the campus.

I also still think this is a "One More Thing" event. We know about new iPhones, and we know about *possible* iWatch crap (although I will still laugh if we learn that Apple has no real desire to enter that market), but we don't know about the super secret product, whatever (if at all) that might be.

AppleTV: Still lots of speculation on this one. Has Apple solved the content problems? I don't think so. The networks and cable companies aren't going to give up their cash cows. Although the real killer App is the SDK.

4k Cinema Display: Nah. Not worth this kind of attention.

27" iMac with Retina Display: Timing seems off and not worth the attention.

30th Anniversary 27" iMac SE: Too expensive a proposition for a simple media event like this. BUT! A 27" iMac Retina 5k Steve Jobs Edition built around the new Mac Pro's guts for $10,000! Limited to 1,984 copies, of course!

Touch Screen Macs: Seems a bit early, especially considering the GUI would need a complete redesign to make it work.

The 4th Transition: Mac OS9-Mac OSX; 32-bit to 64-bit; PowerPC to Intel! Now, under the cover of our double-down security, Apple is happy to introduce transition number 4: Intel to Arm. And yes, this entire presentation has been shown to you by an iMac running our custom A100 silicon.

The iMad: The Mac Laptop that turns into an iPad! Two UI's, one common database! Nah. Can't see that happening.

The iBike: Apple is entering the highly lucrative Connected Bicycle market with their new iBike. Yes, I'm running out of ideas.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-05, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

If there's no U2 performance, and that big white structure is a stage, I think it's probably some sort of Beats/Dr. Dre thing? Makes sense, some sort of music performance involving him or his friends. Seems weird they'd bring someone like Dre to their team and then not give him (or an act or two associated with him) a chance to play at such an event.

But I've only seen one picture of it, with the high-mounted stage lights. That's what made me think "stage". It might just be a large post-event demo/interview area with all the goodies set up? Maybe there's not enough room at the Flint Center for such a thing, so they built a temporary "demo garden" type of structure?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-05 at 12:40.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-05, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I apologize for getting off topic.

I did see this over on Gizmodo and it reminded me of all the rumor threads we use to have with all the speculative mockups. Very funny to look back on and see how horrible some of them were. I remember seeing a couple of them on here.

@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-05, 12:31

Quote:
I apologize for getting off topic.

Super cool, dude! We just have lots of music threads already running.

Quote:
I did see this
Interestingly, I think that iBangle thing is closer to Apple's iWatch than most of the renders have been. I still think the iWatch will be a watch first, and smart second. A very smart watch! The competitors are all shooting for a wrist computer/phone first, and watch second. A watch is a piece of jewelry, a fashion statement, a high-performance instrument for keeping accurate time! The iWatch will be a watch! It will be packed with sensors and be controlled by tastefully placed buttons around the ring (like a real watch). The sensor data will be sent to your iPhone/iPad and processed there (to save battery, of course). Important notifications (programmed from your phone/pad) will be sent back. You can tell your watch to phone home, but it will be your phone phoning home, not the watch (to save battery, of course). The iWatch will always look like a watch unless you are specifically asking it to do something else. When you're done, it goes back to being a watch. It's not an iPod, it's not a phone. It's a watch, that's smart.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2014-09-05 at 12:44.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-09-05, 21:10

Apple Dominating Shipping Capacity Out Of China With New iPhones

A family member of mine is an exec at UPS. I asked him about this and he confirmed that they've never seen a single customer tie up so much of their shipping capacity.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-09-06, 12:59

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...40906?irpc=932

Apple is inviting fashion editors, writers, bloggers, etc....
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-06, 13:23

It’s fascinating to watch this inexorable shift of wearables from nerdy (Google Glass) and pointless (Samsung Gear) to something that is now being written about in mainstream journals and will soon be as ubiquitous as smartphones.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-06, 13:59

Apple is is going to do to the watch industry what they did to the phone industry. I can smell it coming. I read a Gruber comment on the iWatch and his take was effectively, "You have to want to wear it before you even know what it does." It cannot be the other way around. Knowing what "it" does and then forcing yourself to wear some ugly, thick, power-sucking blob of plastic and buzzy-bits just so you can say you have one is lame, lame, lame (I'm looking at you, Google Glass and Generic SmartWatch, Inc.).

Seriously.

If Apple wants to change this industry, the iWatch must be something you want to wear, even if you don't care what it does! It really does have to look that good! That it integrates with your iThings and Macs, tracks your "health/fitness", provides notifications, gives you love-kisses, etc. must be immaterially second, not first. The iWatch is not something that will be spending its days hiding in your pocket. It will be out on your wrist everyday and it must blend seamlessly with your suit and be a smashing, fantastic compliment to your evening dress and shoes!

I can pretty much guarantee you that Ive and his team were designing this thing in a deep, top-secret lab and their only thought was how it looked. Meanwhile, up in the software labs, the programmers were determining what it would do. Then, and only then, did they call the hardware guys and say, "Make this thing. It looks like this, first, and it does that, second."

If they followed that simple rule—created a handsome (for men) and pretty (for women) watch (that also happens to do some other interesting stuff), has a slick, watch-like screen covered in polished sapphire, all-day battery life (or perhaps all-week), a fancy, grabs-your-attention band, is comfortable to wear, unpretentious, and reasonably priced—then Apple has a product on their hands that will simply clean up the mid-tier watch market and dump it into the same technology cemetery that gobbled up the cellphone industry.

However, if their iWatch thing looks like a 6th-gen Nano on a watchband—at that point, I don't care if it jumps off your wrist and washes the dishes—it's game over!

Edit: P.S. and by the way, the iWatch must also be fully and completely functional as an awesome watch, regardless whether or not you own an iPhone! And, I would argue, it must do some other very useful things as well. Again, without an iPhone. It has to function even for those folks who have no other Apple products!

addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-06, 15:51

Let me offer my stock prediction for a new Apple product category: if it proves to be hugely successful (not a foregone conclusion, by any means, but if) two things will a happen:

1) Everybody else making smart watches will immediately attempt to ape, as closely as possible, whatever Apple's approach is. Samsung, in particular, will simply drop whatever they are doing and release a straight up clone.

2) All of those manufacturers and their sycophants in the press and general public will angrily insist that Apple was late to the party so therefore did nothing innovative and that the cloning of Apple's approach is nothing of the sort (OH I GUESS APPLE INVENTED TIME GO BACK TO POLISHING DEAD STEVE JOBS KNOB FANBOY). Samsung, in particular, will point to their previously modestly received efforts as proof that Apple is "riding on their coattails."

Once again, and mysteriously, Apple will have blundered onto the right tech at the right time, by taking what everyone else was doing and making it slightly prettier. Wearable computing, after all, was just about to explode anyway, and Apple just tricked everyone with timing and packaging. And if they attempt to patent any unique aspects of their approach that's bullshit man, because PATENTS SLOW DOWN INNOVATION. Whatever it is they might do to create a wildly successful product must be shared by one and all because Android users want cool products too and it's simply selfish of Apple to hoard all the good shit. Anyway, Samsung's is bigger and faster and has more features.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-09-06, 17:09

addabox, don't forget about marketing. That's the only reason Apple is successful, dontchano?
¡Damned!

2014-09-06, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
(OH I GUESS APPLE INVENTED TIME GO BACK TO POLISHING DEAD STEVE JOBS KNOB FANBOY)
That's it. I'm dead from laughing. RIP in piece, 709.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-06, 17:40

Addabox nails the living hell out of it. Again.

I lurk at a few tech/gadget places, and posters and forum participants are already in full pant-wetting/crybaby mode. It's as if they know the brief time in the spotlight of their "anything but Apple!!" product is a mere 2-3 days from being forever eclipsed and forgotten.

Because, chances are, it is.

I don't think those if us who follow/like Apple have ever made the claim that they're always, automatically "first" to any product, category or service. They simply put a little more time into it and, for the most part, tend to do it right. And create something the average non-propeller head would actually want to buy. I think that's been proven at least 2-3 times in a pretty major way.

Edited to remove needless snark, ridicule and gloating. It's unbecoming.