Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
September 9 Media Event
Page 3 of 10 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-06, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Edited to remove needless snark, ridicule and gloating. It's unbecoming.
What?!?

Paul, I'm disappointed. Why do you think I come into this joint if not for the snark, ridicule and gloating? It's half the fun.

Yes, Addabox doth nailed it. Samsung and the android crowd have elevated "Me First" to an art form. Also, the "Apple is so unoriginal" argument is tired and boring. Taking something that's 4x4x4 and gets dreadful battery life and stuffing it into a package 1x1x1 that gets all-day battery life is, like, so EASY! Duh. Anyone can do that. Apple lacks innovation!

Looking back, I don't see a single Apple product that "defined a new product category".

Apple ][ ? Nope. Computers already existed. They just made it affordable for everyone.
Mac? Nope. GUI-based computers already existed. Apple just made it affordable for everyone.
The Laserwriter? Laser printers existed. Again, Apple was first to cheap.
The Newton? Nope. Tablets were being tossed around in the industry. Apple was just the first to make one cheap enough.
The iMac? Nope. Hell, they didn't even beat themselves to the all-in-one market!
The iPhone? Phones have been around for decades. And cellphones for at least 10 years prior to that. Satellite phones even longer.
The iPad? Nope. Not that one either.

Apple redefined each of the above categories; they did not invent the category. Previous things already existed in the geek culture, and Apple took heat in each one for being late to the game. But, it was Apple that made each of those categories cool and available to the masses as something other than nerdware.

The only defense the geektards have been able to use is "Apple patented the rounded corner".

I can pretty much guarantee Apple will be hard-pressed to "patent the rounded corner" on this thing, though. The watch community has existed long enough that every conceivable style is already in use. Yet, I still think it's the look that is going to surprise us most. Not because of it's hi-tech, future-world appearance, but because of it's not! I think the thing is mostly gonna look like a watch.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-06, 22:16

I don't know how they'll approach this...ultra-traditional (but packed with amazing tech, trying to bridge those two worlds), or will they embrace the whole "this is what it is...a 21st century watch for a 21st century, digital-savvy culture/lifestyle" (and it'll look all ultra-sleek and modern/high-tech and not try to pretend to be something it really isn't).

I think the latter is the more honest, "let it be what it is" approach, but that won't pull in the watch snobs or Serious Timepiece Crowd. This is all interesting and kinda getting exciting, for a couple of reasons!

I'm more interested in this part of Tuesday's announcements (I've seen a new iPhone be unveiled already, several times; I'm kinda over it and it's honestly not that earth-shattering anymore). But to see this new market/product category entered into with a brand new piece of hardware/approach...it's been a good seven or so years since we've seen that, so that's where the real excitement and drama resides.

"Oooh, an iPhone with a bigger screen and some NFC stu...zzzzzzz". <-- Me

"This watch stuff is either gonna be like a sequel to the 2007 iPhone unveiling and change everything as we know it, or it'll explode spectacularly in their faces because, as it turns out, nobody beyond the neckbeards, propeller-heads, tech press and social media addicts gives a true swinging damn." <-- A more excited me

All I know is that it's gonna be funny as hell, come Tuesday evening, to lurk around various tech sites and read the comments/forums...half the people will be jacking off, the other half will be drenched in rage, confusion and sadness. But they'll all be completely out of their minds and over-the-top with their emotions, "analysis" and responses. It'll be comedy gold, no matter what.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-06 at 22:29.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-09-06, 22:35

I'm disappointed in myself... I'm so pumped for this event, I just feel like I am setting myself up for disappointment. Especially since we pretty much know 99% about the new iPhone. But I can't help but feel like this is the kind of buzz that use to surround Apple events back in the day.

Something about it just doesn't seem right though. It's hard to explain... but something about this just seems mistimed... just a gut feeling... or like it was bumped up before they were ready. I hope I'm proven wrong and this was their plan all along. It very well could be. It's just amazing to me that they have been able to keep such a secret for this one thing... when everything else is the exact opposite these days.

I guess keeping it secret is aided immensely if they aren't shipping for 4-6 months.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-06, 23:00

It might be like the iPhone, in that they've managed to keep it all in-house (and in Cupertino, in the labs) all this time (was that the case with the iPhone, leading up to the January 2007 announcement? Because we got no leaks of it either...every mockup was WAY off the mark).

It might be the kind of thing that once the regulatory approval(?) stuff and manufacturing (Asia seems to be leaking like a sieve with regards to this stuff) kick in, they know they couldn't keep it secret or a surprise. They'll unveil some working models and renderings Tuesday, to officially let the cat out of the bag. And then it won't hurt or matter so much (just as with the iPhone in that period between January-June 2007) if stuff leaks between Tuesday and release date?

Gruber or someone like that was talking about that...do it this way to control the unveiling/announcement, then send it to all the other processes (where the leaks can't be controlled as much).

It's just such a personal thing...does Apple try to be all things to all people, and make 5-10 different styles (that's a manufacturing/stocking nightmare), or do they take more of a "this is the design...unisex and decidedly 'non-traditional' and not your granddad's watch. Take or leave it...", and just make the people come to it (vs. trying to hit all this approval and taste points)?

That's one of the things that makes this exciting/interesting. Computers, TV gadgets, phones, music players, etc. are just tech/gadgets. Some are certainly better designed than others, of course. But aside from some color options, companies aren't making a variety of the same model to account for gender, style tastes, ages, etc. It's like "here's an iPhone...choose one of three basic colors, but if you want to truly 'customize' it and make it 'you', you've got 11 trillion cases out there to choose from. But we're not going to make a Hello Kitty model, and a rhinestone-encrusted 'Juicy' model, a Matrix Special Edition, etc..." But watches seem so personal (and not so given to "skinning" or heavy accessorizing), and people can be so picky and demanding on something like this...more so than a phone or iPod or computer, really. It's squarely in the realm of "fashion" and "statement-making", and some people take that very seriously. And Apple's never really gone down that road (beyond just offering some colors; but that doesn't seem like it would work here). I don't think they can apply the iPod nano approach to watches, because it goes way beyond simple colors and into materials, shapes, sizes, etc.

I just don't know how they're going to try and hit all those marks. Which is the reason why I think they'll take the "this is the iWatch...one model/style. We're not trying to make it look like something it isn't, because it isn't like anything that's come before. You either like it, or you don't. We can actually afford not to really give a shit, plus our track record of 'build it and they'll come' is pretty strong, and we're willing to bet this is no exception...".

I can't wait for Tuesday! "Let's see how they approach this specific thing...".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-06 at 23:12.
wtd

2014-09-07, 09:44

Style is a hugely subjective thing. I'm not sure they can get away with only one of either approaches. Ultimately it's about the software anyway, so why not multiple styles? And they have Beats now, so if you want to make something that "grown-ups" will consider gaudy, do it and brand it as Beats, but keep it on the same hardware/software platform.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-07, 12:42

I just don't know what the "magic number" of designs/looks offered would have to be. Nobody does...that's the point. Five? 12? 20? How many models do established, successful watch companies typically offer? I don't think Apple wants to get into all that on this first step. Look back at their initial entries into a new product category...

I think they'll have a single, nice design. But I don't think it's going to be "traditionally watch-y" either. Just my gut hunch. I think they'll take the "build it and they will come" approach, vs. trying to hit all the style/taste points imagineable. That just doesn't seem like something they would do, right out of the gate.

Build a solid, attractive product for the already-faithful, the curious, the "digital lifestyle" crowd, etc. and see how it goes. If that takes off throughout 2015 (and it'll be obvious by spring or so), then they can expand the design to appeal to a wider audience for 2016 and beyond (but let's be realistic: nothing Apple ever designs or sells is going to make a certain type give up their Rolex or other high-end, luxury watch). Going after those customers, especially from the very start, is foolish and unrealistic, IMO. Go after the folks who you know are most likely to buy, and champion, the product.

Which means they'd be okay with this not being for everyone, initially. Several of their products which are big, popular sellers today fell under that heading when they were first released, remember?

For the tech that has to go into this, the design, engineering and manufacturing challenge of fitting it into various looks/styles would be a huge task, getting into things like possible different, custom-shaped boards or other internal components. That's asking a lot on the first go-around. Unless they standardize on a single face/housing design (then differentiate the models via finishes, straps, etc...but that almost seems like "cheating", or the easy way out), they're looking at quite an undertaking.

Think of the iPod and iPhone, first coming out into the world...that first entry into a new product category was done "safely", with a single design to plant the flag. The minis, nano, shuffle, etc. didn't come until later, once it was obvious the demand and popularity was there. Same with the iPhone. In fact, the iPhone's been even more conservative...a single design its first year, followed by two years of each subsequent design (3G/3Gs, etc.). It's taken six years for a breakout, side line (5c) to happen.

I think whatever we see Tuesday will be like that 2007 iPhone. Then go from there after a year, if the demand/interest is there. In a way, it was easier with the iPhone because they were truly solving a problem and offering a demonstrably better approach/product in the arena of pre-2007 smartphones. But this situation is a little different, I think. They surely won't come out of the gate with numerous designs on an unknown, "what if?" product, in its first entry into the world.

If so, it'll be a first for them and a departure from their past approaches (iMac, iPod, MacBook Air, iPhone, iPad). That just seems like a very big dice to roll, from a design, engineering, manufacturing and inventory standpoint. It'll take a year or so to see how this thing actually does in the real world, with real use. On the slight chance it's an all-for-nothing dud/fiasco, they wouldn't want to be sitting on all this inventory of various designs and looks (and the tooling up and front-end work it took to create them). That would be a huge amount of time, money, thinking and effort, all wasted.

To their credit, they didn't design/sell 5-6 variations of the iPod Hi-Fi.

Start slow and small (they have that luxury; their existence/future isn't hinging on this...they've got other products and a bit of cash ), then build up/out from there if it makes sense and is warranted. Looking to be all things to all people (on a total unknown) just seems like a recipe for disaster to me. And is completely unlike the approach they've taken in the past (on what have turned out to be their most successful, iconic products; I don't think that's an accident or coincidence).

I don't think we're going to see one bit of leather or etched brass on Tuesday. I picture a decidedly Apple-y, "i" type of design...but one that is as warm, attractive and friendly as possible, and not just some cold, completely nerded-out obvious bit of tech (people won't want to walk around looking like complete dorks or lab experiments). They're not going to make the Google Glass of watches, I'm pretty sure about that.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-07 at 13:33.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-09-07, 14:25

iWatch, nice bling, and I guess some people while like it. I still find it hard to believe that these wearable devices will have the uptake of the iPhone and iPad. I still think it will be big with people who are big time into health tracking etc, but beyond that, I just don't see it. I can count how many people I know that wear watches on one hand, and they are all over 55 years old. Unless Apple does something extremely big, like having this watch totally replace that need for a cell phone, I just don't see it being anything more than a niche product.

While I'm interested to see what Apple is going to do with the "iWatch", I'm still having a hard time getting excited about anything that is coming this next week.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-07, 14:39

That's my biggest thing; I'm not convinced this is a needed, ready-to-pounce product with some huge pent-up demand. I can imagine it failing (or being an overall "meh..." type of thing) as much as succeeding. That's why it's a little more interesting than the iPhone 6 to me...no mystery or question on how that'll do. This other thing is so unknown. But I still can't shake the "solution in search of a problem" feel I get from it. I just don't know anyone - young or old, tech-savvy or otherwise - who's into "watches" or has expressed the genuine desire for some sort of wearable device/accessory/peripheral. Not one. Maybe it's different in other areas/demographics.

But, in the interest of full disclosure and all that, I'm not a true, hardcore tech-hound/gadget-freak, and I don't do the social media thing (AN is my only online presence). So if I lived and died by my Twitter feed, Instagram and all that, maybe I'd give more of a genuine, heartfelt rip about another electronic/digital gadget I have to charge, keep up with, not lose, not break, keep updated, etc.

This is one of those situations where Steve's presence and stage-work will be missed. Because even if it's the most unnecessary, overpriced thing ever, by the end of Tuesday's event he'd have you thinking "hmmm...you know, I could see how I might like one of these...$349 isn't a lot to spend for such convenience and information! Hell, maybe I'll even get two..."

The current crew just doesn't have that sort of juice. In fact, aside from the new Mac Pro (which is an expensive, niche product that was never geared for the general population), this will be the first time a brand-new consumer-targeted product from Apple is introduced, post-Steve. Do Cook, Schiller, Federighi, Cue, etc. have the chops to pull it off in the way Steve would've? I don't know; we've yet to see (the fact that it'll take/involve 2-3 people says a lot). They've done a decent job of unveiling updates to already-existing (and successful) products. But this is different. This is more like January 2007, compared to other post-Jobs events and announcements. They've totally got their work cut out for them.

And in all the coverage and talk leading up to this, I've not seen that aspect discussed...the first completely brand-new product unveiling since Steve's death three years ago. Tuesday will be very interesting (and telling), just on that front alone. I figured someone like Gruber would've written a big piece about that by now. It's a big deal. It's the first time we're going to see just how much the presentation, charisma and RDF factored into these announcements.

That's the other funny part of this...if Jobs were still around, this level of doubt, questioning or speculation probably wouldn't be so high. Simply because we'd assume "well, if it made it this far along and he's willing to get onstage and go into full RDF mode, then he believes it's worthwhile and destined to be a successful, popular product...". Because if he thought it was ultimately lame or useless, or not living up to some insane level of perfection, he would've pulled the plug, consequences/feelings be damned, and we never would've heard about it. Do any of the current guys have that level of "gut instinct" or conviction? Or are they more "well, it's 85-90% there; let's just put it out and see what happens..." about it?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-07 at 15:20.
wtd

2014-09-07, 15:54

I think Apple's in a bit of a hurry to get something out there. The problem is not the stuff currently on the market, but that there's a very real possibility of Google establishing an ecosystem for it. That's their strength with iOS, and they don't want someone else to get a leg up on them in that respect when it comes to wearables.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-07, 16:33

That's the part I'm just not sure on, yet (is anyone). Is the "wearable" thing even a thing? Or is everyone betting on the front end, hoping/expecting it to be (and looking to kinda will it into existence)?

"If we just TALK about this shit enough, it'll surely catch on and...

The cat's out of the bag/toothpaste is out of the tube, so, going forward, I guess all these companies are going to be looking to get this stuff as small and "everywhere" they can. Computers -> laptops -> tablets/phones -> wearables -> ??

If the trend continues, then I'm assuming we're 4-7 years from inserting/implanting stuff into our ears, eyes or wherever else? Because it can't get too small, or too connected, apparently. Some tech pundit, not too long from now, will write the words "wearables are so 2017...", with a totally straight face and not one ounce of sarcasm or irony. "It's all about internals...our bodies are the new interface...". (and then I run screaming, looking for the nearest window to jump from).

"Even when you're asleep, enjoy your Tweets and see what your friends are posting online!"

Uh, no.

At some point "Retina Display" is going to mean exactly that. We jack a cable into our heads and the OS takes over your optic nerves/sensors and...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-09-07, 16:43

So, Paul, found your island yet?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-07, 18:12

Hey, I just appreciate a little moderation and courtesy with this crazy stuff, that's all.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-07 at 19:56.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-07, 18:44

Since I work at a school I'm around smug kids who assume their easy ways with whatever the tech du jour is makes them demonstrably better people than the tired and busted adults in their lives.

So I like to regale them with vivid evocations of the coming monster children-- their children-- whose implants will give them immediate and disconcerting access to all the information, always. You'll be asking them to help out with the chores, I say, and their eyes will go into that all too familiar distant unfocused thing and they'll tilt their heads and laugh and subvocalize something and move their finger slightly and you'll say "Are you linking with that horrible kid in Tokyo again?" and they'll say "Not at all mother. A storm is coming."

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-09-08, 07:53

"Your friends are only a blink away."

"Close your eyes and make a wish."

"In dreams, you tweet."

iLid by Apple
Designed in California
Manufactured in China
Surgically implanted in your hometown.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-08, 08:08

Ha!

Well today is the last full day before tomorrow's fun. Does anything big get leaked/spoiled?

You know this watch thing isn't in production in Asia because it would've leaked by now. Probably just a handful of working prototypes, created in-house. If so, like the original iPhone, we won't see it until the event tomorrow. Much easier to keep it under wraps if there are just a few of them, all milled and assembled together inside Apple HQ. I imagine there will be photography/renderings for marketing and hype purposes, appearing on Apple's site afterwards. In a few years will we hear the behind-the-scenes story (as we did with the original iPhone announcement) about all the last-minute work and scrambling to ensure a solid working model for stage use tomorrow? If so, there will be some folks pulling an all-nighter! Learning about how that iPhone Steve used in January 2007 could've crapped out at any moment, and that everyone was holding their breath and hoping for the best, makes that presentation even cooler. We had no idea.

The iPhone 6 has leaked more than any previous model. But I hope there are a few surprises or features that aren't already known.

I don't suppose there's any chance iOS 8 would be released tomorrow? They'll probably wait and do it a day or so before the iPhone 6 is available in stores. Isn't that how it usually plays out?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-08, 09:33

I'm still gonna laugh if there is no watch!

Remember, a few of Apple's top people have said this is their best pipeline in 800 years or something, but not one has said boo about what those products are.

The most comical bit will be if Apple doesn't take the lid off the iWatch, how scathing the press will be that "Apple disappoints" because they didn't make the dumb thing. "Clearly, Apple has lost its mojo. Failing to release the iWatch is a clear indicator that Apple has lost its ability to innovate without Steve Jobs at the helm."

Us: "Apple never said they were working on a watch."

I really do want to see Apple enter new territory, but I won't be surprised a bit if watches are not that territory.

Who knows, maybe all those fashion people were invited for the unveiling of iPants.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-08, 12:10

The fact that those folks were invited has to mean there's something going on besides just another iPhone update. Is "bigger" something that fashion types would need to be in on and see? No.

But you're right about the press/coverage. Apple's never hinted at, or promised, such a device. It's all just been nerd/tech-press jibber-jabber. But, still, they'll crucify Apple for not unveiling the thing they all dreamed up.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-09-08, 13:44

Tomorrow is going to be interesting indeed.

I think the iPhones have pretty much been accurately predicted. Personally I am concerned about them going into phablet territory, I just hope the 4.7" version won't feel too big. On the other hand, the pundits will probably approve on the size, though, they might find some other thing to complain about. Just to demonstrate that they are smarter than Apple.

Not that any of this will get much attention if there's an iWatch in the oven, which I think there is. There's just too much circumstantial evidence pointing in this direction. I also think the timing is right. Samsung & Co. have been making several versions of their idea of a smart watch and if Apple would wait another year, someone else might just stumble on the right idea/implementation and steal Apple's thunder.

After thinking about it, I don't really expect much from this first version of the iWatch. It's probably going to have a few really nice features, but also be unremarkable enough to disappoint the majority. However, it will work very well and on keep doing so, so while it might not look like a winner tomorrow, it will look much more like a winner in the next revision. Not just because of whatever improvements there might come with revision B, but also because that intangible thing that Apple just does better will have had some time to manifest itself though it's real life use.

Oh, and for some reason I can't really get excited about NFC payments. Maybe I need to see tat in action before I get what the big idea is. I would be more excited about using NFC to unlock the doors at work with my iWatch.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-08, 14:31

That's the Apple way. Looking back, most of their initial product releases - while cool and better designed/thought-out than the rest - still had shortcomings and missing features. When you get to that Rev. B-C timeframe, that's when they really start to shine and hit all the marks.

I've said this very thing here already. Tomorrow's iWhatever will be for the already-faithful Apple fans, the curious, the gadget-hounds/"digital lifestyle" folks, the early adopters who are always wanting to be among the first to anything new, etc. If it's really all that, serves a true function and changes everything, it'll get even better on its second go-around, and spread out to the soccer moms, casual users, gift-givers, newcomers to Apple products and other "regular people".

The only people I know who had an original iPhone were the types who hang out at sites like this. It wasn't until the 3G and definitely the 3Gs that my sister, stepmom, non-techie friends and relatives started buying.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2014-09-08, 14:59

Ages ago I think I said the next big thing would be whoever comes up with a way for people (namely women) who's outfits don't have pockets to carry their phones in a way that looks good.

The fasion people invites make me think they believe they've done it. Tomorrow will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
more likely at the October iPad event, no?
yeah, given who's invited it won't be the larger iPad.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-08, 15:13

A woman will carry her cell phone in her hand long before she will wear some awful black cube on her wrist. If Apple has figured out a wearable "watch/phone" that a woman feels compliments her rather than making her feel like a nerd, then the world is gonna flip on its head in a bigger way than it did with the original iPhone.

That kind of innovation is what sets Apple apart. I'm just not sure that the tech is small enough, yet.

I hope to be proven wrong in that regard.

But, if that's what they've figured out*, then the world is about to change.

Edit: The target audience here is women. If a woman is comfortable wearing her phone, then getting men on board will be far less than half a stretch.

* Methinks an ear piece would be required for this to work? Have they also figured out the ear piece? Double

addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-08, 15:13

So what if the start of the show isn't the iWhatever, per se, but what it can do? I mean all the groundwork Apple's been laying. HealthKit. HomeKit. Specialized silicon. Touch ID. PassBook. Continuity.

I mean, I'm sure it'll be pretty and cool and all, but the big question around wearables, the question that no one to date has provided a compelling answer to, is "why"? Why replicate your smart phone on your wrist? Why have a watch that costs more and has worse battery life? What can you do, really, with such a tiny little interface that isn't easier to do by just pulling your phone out of your pocket?

Constant real time biometrics with a cool looking, easy to use iCloud log that gives you real, actionable information. Access to home automation that doesn't require much more than have the thing on your wrist-- lower the lights, lock the doors, set the thermostat. Tell Siri to do the evening preset and get all of those at once. Don't even reach into your pocket to buy stuff, just tap your wrist.

Sure, all of that is sort of doable across a bunch of apps and accessories, but Apple's pretty much the only one that can make it all seamless and transparent to the user-- enough so that it actually catches on. The future happens, instead of always being something cool on the horizon that geeks dabble in. Sound familiar?

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-08, 15:24

That's all why I think the iWatch has to be something you want to wear before you know what it does (following in Gruber's thinking).

If you have to know what it does before you strap it to your wrist, it's dead in the water.

Edit: Along those lines, a bullet-list of "can's and cant's" will not sell very many of these. Rather, a marketing campaign showing a business person, a doctor, an athlete, a student—all women—going through day to day life and you notice nothing unusual about them at all. They get up, they do their thing; they're normal, everyday women just wandering through life.

Then they get a phone call; they adjust the iTunes volume; they check their calories burned; they check something off a to-do list. All on their wrist.

The audience goes and wants to know more.

The iWatch. Your life, unseen.

Or something.

Women tend to view "attention" differently than men do. If I go out with a woman, she wants me focused on her (or maybe her jewelry if she's out with girlfriends), not her gadgets*. If I spend an eye-brow-raised evening focused on my date's wrist-gadget, she'll likely respond in one or both of two ways: 1) She'll never speak to me again; and 2) She'll never wear the wrist-gadget again.

The thing cannot draw negative or unwanted attention to itself or it's out for women. It has to positively compliment the woman. It has to make her girlfriends say, "ooooh, I want one of those." Otherwise, her besties are probably (hopefully) going to be honest with her and tell her she looks like a nerd. Game. Over!

For dudes, hell, if they can look up sports scores to impress their buddies, well …

* Those Google Glass female types are an exception.

Last edited by kscherer : 2014-09-08 at 15:50.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-08, 16:17

How much do you want to bet that Apple's roadmap takes into account "invisible" computing? Where the devices are all tiny and distributed and get their power from being networked?

That's been the buzz for a while-- the internet of things, and all, but it hasn't really happened in any substantiative way. It would be a huge challenge for Apple, whose fortunes rise and fall on the desirability of their devices. How do you maintain your leadership position when the devices are less important than the functionality?

My guess is that their already planning for the world, and the wearable is part of that new Apple. Increasingly, I think, we'll talking about Apple's web of interconnected services even more than the devices, which will keep getting more and more imbedded into their (and your) environment. At some point there will be a wearable "nano" that responds to voice, unlocks, monitors, controls, alerts and communicates. Wear it like a ring. Pin it to a shirt.

Yeah, kind of Google Glass territory, but Google is always and only about the big data. Apple can do comfortable in your life.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-08, 18:28

The hype for this event is absolutely unprecedented. Now, Appleinisder reports that ABC World News Tonight has an exclusive place in the release.

This is not iPhone territory. We are way beyond that. There weren't any "news exclusives" for the iPhone, the iPad, or anything else that I recall.

Apple believes they have figured something out, and none of us know what it is. Even though we were all speculating on the eve of the iPhone release, there is no one here that knew. Whatever is happening tomorrow, I get that same feeling. Apple has something (iWatch?) and no one, anywhere, has a freakin' clue!

Nobody!

Folks, either something BIG is cooking, or we've all been duped!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-08, 19:10

As much as I'm unable to get my head around a "watch" (and why it would warrant this much build-up and hype), just like the iPhone in 2007, I'm obviously missing something and not thinking of what the overall "hook" is. Afterwards, it'll be so obvious looking back..."well of course that's how you'd make a [fill in the blank]...why the hell has no one done that already?!".

But I'm truly stumped. All the things I think it could be/do, just seem technologically impossible. Which, of course, is where that magic (okay, engineering, design and smarts) comes in. They're going to make some routine, but cumbersome and currently-aggravating task or process, fun and easy, and "like it should be". That's usually one of the hallmarks of this stuff.

Someone mentioned upthread about how if you step back and look at the groundwork they've been laying, small pieces here and there over time, you can kinda start to put things together...iCloud, Siri, the materials we know they're working with, upcoming iOS features, TouchID, the health and home automation stuff, etc. As "Star Trek" as the iPhone was, are we about to see something really "Star Trek"? Something that's going to make the iPhone look a bit clunky and "old school" in comparison?

This is the most excited I've been about an Apple event in some time. I love the fact that we're getting a genuine surprise...whatever they're unveiling, it hasn't been leaked/spoiled. It's not often you can say that. 2007 was the last time, I think. We've all had pretty good guesses and assumptions ever since (about what an Apple iOS-based tablet would look like, how its smaller counterpart would look, the iPhone stuff leaks like a broken faucet and is never a surprise anymore, the iMac and notebooks have all just been small, gradual refinements on 5-7 year old designs, etc.

I guess that new Mac Pro would be the one true surprise since the original iPhone? But it's not a mass appeal, consumer-oriented product, so it's not going to have the widespread, cultural impact like the phone.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-08 at 19:24.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-09-08, 19:56

I wonder if Apple has been leaking the iPhone stuff themselves in order to distract from whatever the big surprise is. They know they're going to sell 60-100 million of them regardless of any leaks, so why not if it keeps everyone barking up the wrong tree?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-09-08, 20:19

Also: Hilton has announced that they'll be outfitting their hotels with NFC to replace room keys. Doubtful that it has to do specifically with Apple but throwing it out there.

I expect Apple would've gone with a better brand like Hyatt if they were part of that.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-08, 21:36

So maybe someone has already suggested this (Paul, probably) but what if the big temporary structure is a bunch of use scenario sets? Gym linked to HealthKit, house linked to HomeKit, store for NFC payments, all if it enabled by the wearable? Your digital identity, on your person so you don't have to do anything or pull anything out of your pocket.

You exercise on a linked machine (Apple announces deals with PreCor, Cybex, etc) and all the info goes to your iCloud Health page for later review and analysis. Your heart rate, blood pressure, glucose and oxygen levels are constantly displayed without having to hold anything (have no idea how much of that is possible, just thinking of scenarios).

The door unlocks as you approach, you tell Siri to dim the lights (Apple announces deal with various programable LED manufacturers), warm the place up a bit (Apple announces competitor for Nest, costs less), turn the music up or down. "Siri", in this case, is the wearable plus wifi enabled controllers, no different than the smart phone apps currently available but with no UI needed.

You buy some stuff (Apple announces deals with various brick and mortar stores) by tapping your wrist on the iWatch tag at the register. Everybody gets to try everything out. Turns out the "watch" is way, way more than just a link to a phone or simple notification device. Apple has done all the heavy lifting with their server side software and partnerships. The watch just lets the enabled devices know its you, and acts as a Siri conduit.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-08, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
The watch just lets the enabled devices know its you, and acts as a Siri conduit.
Now that is intriguing. What if the watch does know it's you? It knows because one (or all) of the following are true:

1) The iWatch has TouchID built in
2) The watch can detect something specific about you through biometric sensors
3) Voice authentication
4) Sharks … with frickin' lasers!

What would this mean for payments? The system is un-hackable (one-time-use tokens); You have to be alive (the iThing is looking for biometric data unique to your living, breathing body); Your living, breathing fingerprint must authorize the purchase! Only way to beat the system would be to steal the device—with you attached to it—and drag your kicking, screaming body to the nearest retailer to make a purchase?

All that on your wrist—with all-day battery life—is a stretch. I'm with Paul. I cannot fathom the technology being there, yet. Unless all the heavy lifting is being done by some other processor? Say, the iPhone in your pocket? Or maybe the server? The watch collects the data, the data is encrypted and sent to Apple (through your iDevice, or even the NFC receiver) for authorization, a single-use token is returned to the iWatch which asks for TouchID verification, then transmits the data to the retailer? That seems too complicated, but the weight of processing would be removed from the iWatch, thus saving battery.

I don't know about this stuff! Just tell me already!

Edit: He who is closest to being right should get a badge under their name. I can see it now: Kscherer, Boy of Golden Knowledge

Edit 2: And he who is furthest from right should also get a badge: Kscherer, Jackass of the Month (this is likely closer to the truth)