AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

New Queen tour planned...not sure how I feel

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Queen tour planned...not sure how I feel
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-15, 09:54

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

I LOVE Queen (keep any shitheaded comments to yourselves, please ), but I dunno...Paul Rodgers as vocalist?

Just seems all wrong.

Kinda like Mick dying, and Keith and the boys going on the road with Eric Burdon or someone like that as the new Stones frontman.

Seems to be no common ground between Mercury's style/voice and Rodgers (and Rodgers is a great singer...just not one I imagine with Queen).

I realize it'll take Daltrey or Townshend himself dying (and even then, I wonder) before The Who finally hangs it up.

The Stones can get by without Bill Wyman (and have for years). Other bands have lost drummers and others to death, over the years. But the front man, the face of the band. That's tough to replace, or substitute another.

Then again, the surviving Queen members are too good to simply hang their lives up and just "quit playing", so I guess I gotta respect their wishes and desires...if they're genuine and real (and not just a transparent money-grab, which is the vibe I get from Townshend this past decade or so).

And since there is no replacing a Freddie Mercury type, maybe consciously going in another direction is best? I suppose I'd be more bothered if they got some flamboyant lookalike from a Queen tribute band and tried to "resurrect" Freddie. That would be weird, and a little tacky/gross...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-12-15, 14:01

At least they didn't pick Axl Rose.

(If you missed it, Axl & Elton John covered a Queen tune on some show many moons ago. Talk about pain...)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-15, 14:11

Eww...really? I missed that, thank goodness.

Never liked Axl, and Elton has simply degenerated into a caricature at this point.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-12-15, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Eww...really? I missed that, thank goodness.

Never liked Axl, and Elton has simply degenerated into a caricature at this point.

Yea, I believe it was some kind of Freddy Mercury / Queen tribute show that had a whole bunch of different musicians covering Queen tunes. This is the only act that's still burned into my memory banks (the pain, the pain! make it stop! ).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-15, 15:10

You know, I think I saw part of this. It was at Wembley Stadium, outside? Was it on VH-1 or some channel like that? I'm about 99% sure I saw a portion, with George Michael singing with the surviving members. They played "Somebody to Love" and I was actually very impressed. Was this the same thing? Had to have been.

In fact, George Michael has that big, wide-ranging voice Mercury had, and he sounded REALLY good with them. Hell, he probably needs the money (when was his last hit?). Queen should've hired HIM. Plus, thematically and all, it kinda fits.

He's got a bit of that Freddie vibe (big and splashy, a bit of a strutter, it's no mystery where he's coming from, etc.). Not a fan of his music at all, but he does have a great voice...I've always thought that.

I can actually, believe it or not, imagine HIM in that role better, over Paul Rodgers (who just seems more of a bluesy, straight - no pun! - rocker type). I think of many of their songs and just can't imagine Rodgers - Free, Bad Company and The Firm - quite doing them justice.

Will be interesting...
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-12-15, 19:27

what I am most dumbfounded by is that CNN article doesn't even Rodgers as being in Bad Company....only Free
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-15, 19:35

Hey, this is weird...looking at the forum menu, I see that applenut has posted something to this thread, but I can't see it (no, believe it or not, he's not on my "ignore" list). Is there a forum glitch, somehow?

Anyone else seeing this? I was curious to see what he had to say, although part of me isn't quite sure why, and pretty much knows what's coming...

"You don't know a fucking thing about it, pscates...". You know, something typically charming like that.

applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-12-15, 19:45

Quote:
Hey, this is weird...looking at the forum menu, I see that applenut has posted something to this thread, but I can't see it (no, believe it or not, he's not on my "ignore" list). Is there a forum glitch, somehow?

Anyone else seeing this? I was curious to see what he had to say, although part of me isn't quite sure why, and pretty much knows what's coming...

"You don't know a fucking thing about it, pscates...". You know, something typically charming like that.

close but no cigar.

a certain mod here hates me and probably has done strange things to hinder my posting ability. he just can't handle the truth!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-12-15, 20:03

It's a long, slightly uncomfortable, but heartfelt poem he's written in Freddy Mercury's honor. He has THREE entire stanzas devoted to the damn mustache... better off that you can't read it~

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-15, 20:09

Well, that's cool. But WHY can't I read it?

Is it a browser problem on my end? An AppleNova forum/server issue? Some sort of purposeful blocking on applenut's part?

I don't have anyone on my "ignore" list.

Just more curious about the "why", at this point, than anything he's actually written...

Or was drewprops joking about the 'stache ode?

Still doesn't explain that I see his name listed in the forum view, but no actual post. Not even a blank/placeholder. Nothing at all.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-12-15, 20:16

Dude, that's the way the new Clinic works... it lives in the interstices between posts in threads. Kind of like the hyperspace parasites from Star Trek, just not as gay.

Anyway, I'm still pissed at Freddy for dying. If I was a Kazaa user I might go surfing for the rare stuff, the bootlegs, etc.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-12-15, 21:21

interesting ... on so many levels -

first, I can't see the 'nuts posts either.
second, no confirmation of John Deacon being involved
third, I honestly wish they left it alone - without Freddie it is not the same and now, if John maintains his reclusion, the whole idea just doesn't seem complete - for me anyway.

Having said this - if they ever make it to Australia (and I'm in the country) I will definitely go. A Queen live show is an "event" that all music lovers should experience.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-12-16, 11:08

Quote:

that is pretty weird. i was just looking through another thread, that i'm almost certain that he had posted in a while back, yet i see nothing from him. i have no one ignored. meh, stranger things have happened.