LoCash
Page 6 of 13 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Last Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-01, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by qroo
i wanted to thank you guys for putting up a paypal donation site for jack. it feels so strange entering in a donation amount. how can one attach a price to the memory of a guy who was such a large part of one's life? every amount i type in just seems wrong. but i guess it will have to do. he called me his angel in the past. i wish i could have been one when it counted.

-qr
roo,

Don't start thinking like that. You'll drive yourself crazy.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-06-01, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
I didn't know him well. Just a few chats here and on AIM. However, it's clear that he was an honest and open guy who valued integrity. After all, we all are able to talk about him here thanks to his hard work giving everyone a better place to hang out online. He has helped bring everyone together and fostered a community. It shows how many lives he touched in a positive way...
Aside from a single correspondence with Jack, I too did not know him at all aside from his postings here and from what I remember back at AI. He certainly had a wicked sense of humor, that's for sure, a trait that would sometimes make me chuckle and shake my head.

My condolences to his family and friends.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-06-01, 10:10

Rest in peace man...
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-01, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I'm sorry for the delay in posting this. It's incredibly difficult finding the right words to say about Jack. Here's the "official" tribute page with a PayPal link. As alcimedes said, we'll probably set up donations to a charity in his name after the ceremony tomorrow.

http://forums.applenova.com/tribute.html

I've known Jack for about four years. I never met him in person and I regret not taking him up on the offer to fly to MWSF a couple years ago. He'd become a true friend over chats and e-mails and posts online. I was even hoping he'd come to my wedding some time next year.

Just about everything that can be said has been said by everyone else here. I'm really going to miss Jack. I cried today for him. He was a great guy and truly irreplaceable. We love you, man.

I'm sure he's up in heaven or nirvana or valhalla right now, driving his finely tuned instrument of sex, surrounded by gorgeous women, and smiling down on us all.
Thanks for arranging this Brad and others.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-01, 11:10

Quote:
i wanted to thank you guys for putting up a paypal donation site for jack. it feels so strange entering in a donation amount. how can one attach a price to the memory of a guy who was such a large part of one's life? every amount i type in just seems wrong. but i guess it will have to do. he called me his angel in the past. i wish i could have been one when it counted.

-qr
As Tor said, you can't think like this - it'll do your head no good.
schalliol

Send a message via AIM to schalliol  
2005-06-01, 11:10

I'd be interested to hear what's been received in donations. I hope we can raise a lot!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-01, 11:28

Eric told me that we'd already raised way more than enough as of this morning to get the nicest funeral arrangement offered. We're still thinking about how best to spend the rest of it. As I think was mentioned, something for the aquarium and breast cancer research are at the top of the list. We'll keep you updated shortly with how much and where we spend it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-01, 11:32

I'd like to put a vote in to donate at least some of the money to treat whatever it was that caused his death.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-01, 11:35

Yeah, that's at the top of the list too, if we find out how it happened.
schalliol

2005-06-01, 11:38

I'm excited that we've had a lot of donations thus far, let's keep 'em coming!

I don't think any of us know what caused his death, but I'd agree with torifile if we can determine it - in the hopes we can reduce similar incidents for others. His uncle answered his parents' phone when a friend of mine called yesterday and was pretty upset, so we didn't ask.

Jack, rest in peace. I know you sold your HDTV, and I'm sure you're using a 200 incher right now!
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2005-06-01, 12:30

I second that. I fear his sudden death was accidental. He was so young. I also think that it's better to not ask his family : otherwise they will have told us.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-06-01, 12:36

I didn't know LoCash, but I read and enjoyed some of his posts (haven't been around here for that long); and reading through some of the posts here makes me sad I didn't get to know more about him sooner.

It's so sad to see somebody this young go. A student of a colleague of mine died two years ago in a climbing accident - he was 25. His parents came to visit our office, to see the place where he had spent so much time, and also to get to know some of the people he had worked with. And there, his father said something quite obvious, but very true: Parents shouldn't have to bury their children.

I wish his parents and friends all the strength in the world. I know they're going to need it.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-01, 12:37

I'm sorry to hear about LoCash.

When I first saw the announcement, I thought Alicmedes was talking about a descendant of Jack Frost, the poet. Didn't realize it was LoCash.

Is he descendant of Jack Frost or?

RIP, Jack.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-06-01, 12:42

i have a feeling it was some kind of accident as well. hadn't heard anything about any kind of sickness or whathaveyou. we need to be ultra sensitive, of course, when/if asking about the cause.

i wanted to donate some funds, but i closed my bank accounts recently, and dont have any credit cards.

one thing i take from this: we should have more AppleNovaCons, get the community together for some random 'lets drink ourselves silly' event, or maybe some kind of charity. i feel like i knew him, but i never met him. puts a weird vibe through me. its weird to mourn for someone i've never met. i dont want to go through it again. do me a favor, fellas, dont go dying on me.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-01, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
I'm sorry to hear about LoCash.

When I first saw the announcement, I thought Alicmedes was talking about a descendant of Jack Frost, the poet. Didn't realize it was LoCash.

Is he descendant of Jack Frost or?

RIP, Jack.
I think you're referring to Robert Frost. And it's a common enough name that I really doubt he's related.
åsen

2005-06-01, 13:26

RIP, Jack.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-06-01, 13:41

Could we get an update how much $ has been donated?
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-06-01, 14:21

So we'll just set up a Mischief 3000 type thing...only with crappier cars, and no point.
qroo

Send a message via AIM to qroo  
2005-06-01, 14:26

i've been digging through old stuff for the past day. looking at letters, pictures, all those things we tuck into boxes and forget about. its nice to be able to look at these objects and remember all the good times i had with jack. i ran across these few pics and just wanted to share them with everyone. if anyone has the scan of jack's MIT ID, could you post it or send it to me? he was always so proud of that one, thought he looked like an appropriately disheveled MIT student.

its good to see all these names i haven't seen in ages. i wish it could have been under better circumstances.

http://homepage.mac.com/qroo/PhotoAlbum7.html

-qr
¡Damned!

2005-06-01, 14:31

Those definitely made me smile. Thanks roo.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-01, 14:39

Let's keep AN meetup posts to a thread dedicated to a meetup. This is a thread for Jack. Thanks.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-06-01, 14:47

God speed
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-01, 14:53

Here's the floral arragement I sent for the wake tomorrow.

Along with a card and the text "From Eric, Brad, Murray, and all your friends at AppleNova. You'll truly be missed, Jack."

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-06-01, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Let's keep AN meetup posts to a thread dedicated to a meetup. This is a thread for Jack. Thanks.
I made a thread in AO. Pop on over
schalliol

2005-06-01, 15:02

Quote:
if anyone has the scan of jack's MIT ID, could you post it or send it to me? he was always so proud of that one, thought he looked like an appropriately disheveled MIT student.
I don't think I have that around here, but perhaps someone could scan the Turbo Rodent Studios site (if they're more technically inclined with hacking than I) to see what he still has on there. It used to be there. I suppose it's unlikely, but perhaps his machine is still running. He used to have (I think) turbopartment.homeunix.org, but ne stopped using it a while ago. It would be great to see if he has some items to remember him by. They won't stay online forever.

Jack, rest in peace. I know you sold your HDTV, and I'm sure you're using a 200 incher right now!
¡Damned!

2005-06-01, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Here's the floral arrangement I sent for the wake tomorrow.

Along with a card and the text "From Eric, Brad, Murray, and all your friends at AppleNova. You'll truly be missed, Jack."
*tears welling up*
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-06-01, 15:13

I think it's going to be a while before this fully hits me. It's almost like my head is in this cloud of denial or something.

I searched around online last night and found a few other forums he was regeistered on with some of his earlier screennames... and I almost clicked the Send PM button.

The sadness comes in waves. I was going through my iChat logs last night and have some real gems in there. We had some really hilarious converstaions back and forth. I might even put together a little thing with some of the good stuff (nothing personal that he wouldn't want shared).

I'm sure it's probably all ok to share - we had this running thing with each other where we'd post some ridiculous shit and then say "oh man, you're logging this, aren't you, you bastard!!"

Man, who am I going to chat with at night and make fun of people with now. Dude was the master of the sarcastic jab. (well, silver medalist behind me, maybe)

*sigh*

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-01, 15:21

Oh god yes. We had some humdinger chats... sometimes I'd have to share part of one with my wife when I got to laughing out loud, and she'd just shake her head. "You guys are like two 9th graders in the locker room, you know that?"

Yeah, yeah we were.

And to answer your last question from the last chat, Jack... yes, you may call me Spunky Nuts. (Ha! Take that you bastard! I got the last jab in! *sigh* )
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-01, 15:23

I know... the same thing happened to me when my friend Angie died of cystic fibrosis a year and a half ago. For about the first week it was kind of difficult to comprehend. I didn't feel especially sad, just kind of numb. Then about a week later, it just hit me and I was inconsolable for a few days. It wasn't until about a month later that I think I fully recovered and could accept it. It's still difficult to think about Angie but I've moved on.
RaSol

2005-06-01, 16:01

I thought I might as well share a funny story I have about Jack.

When I was in high school we started working on Mac3d.com together, and we had the chance to meet up on occasion. I recall that the summer after my senior year he flew out to SF, and I had the wonderful job of picking him up from the airport.

So there I am, waiting in the terminal (back in the days when you could), and I don't see Jack until he is standing right in front of me.

Wearing the clothes of a priest...

Turns out he had gotten ordained online, and had gotten the vestments and all sorts of goodies (breathmints named Testamints...sheesh)

So I drive Jack back to Napa, and we hang out for the day, and the time comes when I need to return to my house where I was staying with my mother.

At that point Jack refuses to take off his outfit. And my mother was of the mind that I wouldn't really be close friends with a man of the cloth.

Like I said, I loved the man, and damnit I put up with so much of his shit. Only he could get away with freaking out my own mother like that...

Rest in Peace Father Frost...the Fourth